Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Foles for a 3rd- sign me up

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Have you seen him play?
    Yeah, he was 1-5 as a starter with 1 less int then TD's. Also Flynn showed more in one game then Foles did in his 6 starts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Id rather have flynn and not waste a 3rd.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    If we are giving away a 3rd I'd still rather Colt McCoy. Foles just doesn't have a high up side. I'd rather see Manuel, Brey, Dysert, or Scott in the 3rd.
    Did you really just put colt McCoy and upside in the same sentence?

Jets Insider VIP
    People are putting way too much stock in Flynn's 6 TD game.

It's kind of alarming that Joe Philbin, who coached Flynn in Green Bay, totally passed on the guy as a FA and chose to spend a Top 10 pick on Tannehill instead.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Yeah, he was 1-5 as a starter with 1 less int then TD's. Also Flynn showed more in one game then Foles did in his 6 starts.
    Those are stats, did you watch the games?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

It's kind of alarming that Joe Philbin, who coached Flynn in Green Bay, totally passed on the guy as a FA and chose to spend a Top 10 pick on Tannehill instead.
    IIRC They didn't pass on him, he opted not to go to Miami

Banned

It really isn't alarming that they decided to go with a 22 year old rookie QB who got a 4yr $12 million contract instead of a 26 year old QB who commanded a 3yr $26 million contract especially considering that the OC of the Dolphins is Mike Sherman who coached Tannehill for 4 years at Texas A&M. That's a way bigger connection then Philbin bringing in the Packers backup QB.

Banned
    Those are stats, did you watch the games?
    Yes, I have seen him play. Tall and doofy, big arm. But he sure as hell didn't look like the next big thing.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Yes, I have seen him play. Tall and doofy, big arm. But he sure as hell didn't look like the next big thing.
    Looks like Flacco, you don't need the next big thing.

+1

It says a lot that the Dolphins were more interested in Alex Smith and had little to zero interest in Flynn.

It really isn't alarming that they decided to go with a 22 year old rookie QB who got a 4yr $12 million contract instead of a 26 year old QB who commanded a 3yr $26 million contract especially considering that the OC of the Dolphins is Mike Sherman who coached Tannehill for 4 years at Texas A&M. That's a way bigger connection then Philbin bringing in the Packers backup QB.
    Except for the fact that Free Agency starts 7 weeks before the draft. Not only that, but how could the Dolphins predict the future and know for certain that Tannehill would be available? Your point doesn't really add up.

Banned
    Looks like Flacco, you don't need the next big thing.
    Yeah, he "looks" like him. That doesn't mean anything. JaMarcus Russell was big and tall and had probably one of the strongest arms ever. That doesn't guarantee a thing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Yeah, he "looks" like him. That doesn't mean anything. JaMarcus Russell was big and tall and had probably one of the strongest arms ever. That doesn't guarantee a thing.
    That's what I am saying, looks, not plays. I think Foles has what it takes, big arm is just a bonus. He can make, and place the short to mid range ball that's what I'm interested in, it's early in his career so who is to say, but I like what I have seen.

All League
    Notes:
    Broke Drew Brees’ career passing records at Westlake (Texas) High, where Foles was also the basketball team MVP. Originally committed to Arizona State and then-head coach Dirk Koetter, but Koetter’s firing prompted Foles to sign with Michigan State. Saw action in one game as a true freshman in 2007 before transferring to Arizona. Sat out the ’08 season per NCAA rules. Lost a competition with Matt Scott at the outset of the ’09 season (did not play in the opener and did not start the next two contests) but started the final 10 games and completed 260-of-410 pass attempts (63.4 percent) for 2,486 yards with 19 touchdowns and nine interceptions. Started all 11 games in which he played in ’10, tossing 286-426-3,191-20-10 (67.1). Directed game-winning drive against Iowa. Sprained his right knee against Washington State and missed two games. Set school records in yards, completions and attempts in ’11 after posting 387-560-4,334-28-14 (69.1) in 12 games (11 starts — did not start finale because of a bruised rib). Leaves Arizona as the school’s all-time leading passer with 10,011 yards and is tied for the lead on the school’s all-time list with 67 TD passes. Two-time team captain. Had an 14-18 record in 32 career starts.

Positives:
    Has excellent size. Protects the ball. Distributes the ball well. Can sidestep the first defender. Fine deep-ball touch. Will play through pain. Outstanding production.

Negatives:
    Statistics are heavily padded from playing in a gimmicky offense featuring very simple reads. Shaky decision maker — does not play with confidence. Gets panicked in the pocket and forces the ball. Tends to hang the ball in the air and makes his receivers work hard for it. Spotty accuracy — spins a loose wobbler and ball placement is consistently off the mark. Throws to spots. Average escapability (restricting knee brace on left knee). Struggles creating outside the pocket. Has a .437 career starting record and is not an inspiring field general.

Summary:
    Lumbering pocket passer with the frame and arm talent reminiscent of Cardinals 2009 fifth-rounder John Skelton. Can function behind a strong offensive line but will require an adjustment period to the pro game and might always be content with a backup role.
    His pro career has been short but there really isn't anything about this that hasn't been a reflection of his game at the prolevel

They also didn't put his injury history as a negative but they should have

Would rather have Flynn for a 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Did you really just put colt McCoy and upside in the same sentence?
    Don't even bother talking to him about Colt McCoy.

I was never a huge Flynn guy either and I'm always weary of these Matt Cassel/AJ Feeley types but he has more upside than Alex Smith and Matt Moore. Plus he already knows the system Morhinweg is putting into the offense. Flynn's contract is reasonable with 1 year already done he will end up being cheaper than Smith and Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    I was never a huge Flynn guy either and I'm always weary of these Matt Cassel/AJ Feeley types but he has more upside than Alex Smith and Matt Moore. Plus he already knows the system Morhinweg is putting into the offense. Flynn's contract is reasonable with 1 year already done he will end up being cheaper than Smith and Moore.

I think this is alot like Miami's situation last year. They had people coming in who knew both Tannehill and Flynn. They opted for Tannehill and things worked out well. I trust Marty will have alot of influence in whether or not they will get Foles. If Marty wants him, i would trust his assessment since it wont be based on just a few games, he has seen him in practice and knows him better than just about anyone out there.

I think Foles has real potential, and I think the new OC likes him...
    I think he will someday be the Jets starter...

Of all the somewhat realistic QB possibilities, Foles entices me the most. Great size, knows Mornhinweg, and showed some promise at the end of last year. He's a question mark, but Flynn is arguably an even bigger one and a guy like Smith is a proven mediocre commodity. Foles might be the least likely to get traded though.

Flynn will cost $7M this year and $8M next year. Then he's a FA. Foles is under contract until 2015 at less than $1M a year.

Unless Flynn is willing to rework his contract, (Right now it's $15.5M w/ $8M guaranteed over the next 2 seasons). I don't see the Jets can make a move for him. Furthermore, unless the Jets are really sure about Flynn, they are signing him up for what will most likely be a lost season, and then will have to make a decision to keep him for the long term (not unlike Fitzpatrick). I just don't see going after Flynn as realistic.