Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Mike Tannenbaum picks Cordarrelle Paterson for the Jets in his mock draft.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This kid is a beast! Is there a way to trade down and get him?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    I beg to differ. With the talent available in this draft, the Jets need to address the pass rush and then address the OL. With the front 7 and the OL taken care of, even Sanchez ( well maybe not him, lol) could lead the Jets where we all want to go.
    Warmack is the choice of a deep thinking GM looking to build a solid team for years. Don't fret that others don't see it.

Proof will be that Warmack will not be available at 9.

Yet "certain posters" will laugh at you for suggesting it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    the only reason he picked this guy is because he has darrelle in his name. if you look at his other picks they are retarded as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Warmack is the best OG to come out in over a decade.
    yet, tony pauline has written that some personnel men think cooper of unc is better for some schemes.

and wasn't decastro the best guard prospect in a decade, only a year ago?

the problem with drafting warmack at 9 is two fold. first, it helps maintain rex's antiquated ground and pound philosophy, implicitly telling the team that their best chance (no pun intended) of scoring is to grind out yards on the ground. second, it tells the team that they're still not getting grade A playmakers, so the onus will continue to be on the defense to not give up more that 2 tds b/c the offense ain't keeping up.

the jets don't only need talent. they need a culture change. it required more than changing gms. the team needs a firm commitment from coaching and management that they're going to try to score touchdowns this year. warmack may be a great player but if they take him 9, they've invested a lot of money in an offensive line that already has good money invested in two other guys, and they couldn't score a lick with brick and mangold healthy last year anyway.

if the board shakes out and the jets don't love patterson at 9, i'd rather them draft a guy like vacarro. he'd help the defense a lot. they may very well let landry walk anyway and even if revis stays, they still can't cover TEs. i also think a guy like jordan would be good for the team. both of those defensive guys seem more like playmakers. as much as i'd love them to get an offensive playmaker in the first, if none is available, i'd rather have a defensive playmaker than a guard. the jets need guys who can either a) score, or b) create turnovers. those are guys you take in the top 10. if the jets were picking 29, i'd be all for taking a guard. but not at 9.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    yet, tony pauline has written that some personnel men think cooper of unc is better for some schemes.

the problem with drafting warmack at 9 is two fold. first, it helps maintain rex's antiquated ground and pound philosophy, implicitly telling the team that their best chance (no pun intended) of scoring is to grind out yards on the ground. second, it tells the team that they're still not getting grade A playmakers, so the onus will continue to be on the defense to not give up more that 2 tds b/c the offense ain't keeping up.

the jets don't only need talent. they need a culture change. it required more than changing gms. the team needs a firm commitment from coaching and management that they're going to try to score touchdowns this year. warmack may be a great player but if they take him 9, they've invested a lot of money in an offensive line that already has good money invested in two other guys, and they couldn't score a lick with brick and mangold healthy last year anyway.

if the board shakes out and the jets don't love patterson at 9, i'd rather them draft a guy like vacarro. he'd help the defense a lot. they may very well let landry walk anyway and even if revis stays, they still can't cover TEs. i also think a guy like jordan would be good for the team. both of those defensive guys seem more like playmakers. as much as i'd love them to get an offensive playmaker in the first, if none is available, i'd rather have a defensive playmaker than a guard. the jets need guys who can either a) score, or b) create turnovers. those are guys you take in the top 10. if the jets were picking 29, i'd be all for taking a guard. but not at 9.
    Not true..Mornhinweg wouldn't have taken the job to run a G & P offense..

Pat Kirwan made an excellent point the other day..With the passing game taking over the NFL you now need really good Guards to create a clean pocket for the QB.

As for Tony's comment, and I like and respect Tony as much as anyone, but remember it's now "smokescreen season"...Be very careful what you believe coming from NFL people.
    Last edited by C Mart; 02-23-2013 at 09:57 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope Tanny is incorrect. Do the Jets need offense? Of course. But I do not want a WR that is just out on the field for decoration purposes. We do not have a decent QB on the roster right now. A guy that could take advantage of Paterson's skillset.

I would much rather see the Jets take a top notch OL or a RB. Shoring up the running game would at least ensure our team being competitive in 2013. The Jets already have the makings of a great OL. Just a few additional pieces and we could go right back to being one of the best OL's in football. The point is, it wouldn't take much for the Jets to be a playoff team again IMO. Shore up what is already a top notch defense, add a few players on the ST, and get a productive running game and this is easily a playoff team in 2013.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone needs to remember when Tanny was on his media tour, he was asked, paraphrasing, where he failed or if he could change one thing and he said, again paraphrasing, "get more playmakers on offense..more playmakers, more playmakers..."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

Pat Kirwan made an excellent point the other day..With the passing game taking over the NFL you now need really good Guards to create a clean pocket for the QB.

As for Tony's comment, and I like and respect Tony as much as anyone, but remember it's now "smokescreen season"...Be very careful what you believe coming from NFL people.
    If that's the case why would you take a guard from a program that passed the ball less than 300 times in a single season?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

Although... I would love a UNC player.

helps keep my Tar Heel daughter a JETS fan.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    If that's the case why would you take a guard from a program that passed the ball less than 300 times in a single season?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post

I don't buy for one second that Cooper gets taken ahead of Warmack.

And Warmack makes DeCastro basically look like a chump in comparison. A lot of people questioned DeCastro's toughness and physicality when he came out. Warmack wants to knock your f*cking teeth out on every play.

The guy is universally regarded as a Top 10 pick by pretty much every respected draft guru out there. And he's a guard. That should tell you how highly people think of this kid.

Sorry, I'll take the bluechip stud OL.

I sure as hell aint taking a receiver in the Top 10 that never had a 1,000 yard season and was playing junior college ball up until last year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't discount Tannenbaum's Cordarrelle Paterson pick. As GM he met every week during the season with Terry Bradway and the Jets scouts to review updates from the scouts and Bradway, so is intimately aware of what the Jets thinking was, until the day he got fired. Cordarrelle Paterson fits the Jets pattern of wasting too many 'Looks like tarzan, plays like Jane' high draft picks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the Scott Pioli lovers, he also has Cordarelle going to the Jets at 9.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    His stock has been rising. People are now putting him in the top ten

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    His stock has been rising. People are now putting him in the top ten
    Good. I hope he goes ahead of us. Same for Smith and Barkley.

EDIT - Lal is there watching the WRs closely. Patterson just dropped one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

The Bills are really the only team in the top 10 that could take him. I hope they do.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

Yes his hands seem to be the one weakness. Mayock called him an absolute freak of nature for running a 4.37 at his height and weight.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes his hands seem to be the one weakness. Mayock called him an absolute freak of nature for running a 4.37 at his height and weight.
    The Jets already have one of those guys.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    The Jets already have one of those guys.
    True. So if Patterson goes to the Bills and Barkley goes to the Cardinals, who falls?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    True. So if Patterson goes to the Bills and Barkley goes to the Cardinals, who falls?
    Depends on Cleveland. Most likely they go Moore, based on the switch to the 3-4. If that happens the usual suspects will be there, Jordan, Warmack, Ansah, Fisher. Maybe Jarvis Jones.