Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ziggy is the Ansah

Ziggy is the Ansah

The more film I watch on this guy the more im convinced he could be the steal of the draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    He's your classic boom or bust prospect.

We absolutely HAVE to hit on this pick at #9.

I don't want a passrusher unless Moore or Jones fall. I'm weary of Jones' medical issues, but the kid is legit.

Ansah is way too risky and Mingo looks like he's built like a damn stick. A guy like Jordan may develop into a solid all-around player, but I want a dominant sack artist if we go OLB at #9, not another Bryan Thomas.

Im with ya on Ansah...I think he has the perfect size/speed/strength to play the hybrid OLB/DE that rex likes to use (dont forget how often pace/BT played with a hand on the ground).

While very raw, he has the abilty to set the edge as well as chase plays down with speed.

Plus, at 270lbs, he can allow us some flexibility by playing a smaller sized LB on the weak side....someone like kiko alonso who can cover.

All that being said, i think the "boom or bust" thing should be discussed a little more here. What exactly is ansah's "bust" potential, basically what is his floor as an NFL player.

Worst case ansah winds up as a guy who cant really play in space, and has to be a 4-3 DE. He isnt going to suddenly become slow or lose weight off his frame, so at the absolute worst, he is rotational DE.

Now look at the "floor" for mingo or jones. Jones is he is out of the league due to injury (not what i think will happen, but thats his red flag), Mingo could be a maybin 2.0 and waiver material. Is that not more risky?

Lastly, as far as warmack being the "best guard in the last 10 years" there are a number of scouts who prefer cooper to him in this draft, let alone all time. He is an exceptional player, who was on a great line....but taking the safe pick here is not how you build a championship team.

Ansah definitely IS the answer IMO

All Pro
    Bryan Thomas Played for over 10 years in the NFL and was a very important piece in the defense of 2 coaches. I realize sacking the QB is the sexy stat, but Thomas did his job and did it well.

With that said, This kid Ansah is an improved Thomas. The kid sets the edge as well as Thomas ever did , is much more instinctive and his ability to get after the QB (ie Moves) are much better. The big problem with Bryan Thomas was always his uncertainty in what to do once the ball was snapped. He was so fixated on setting the edge and preventing the RB from getting outside, it took away from his instinctive motion towards the QB. He was always that second late.

Ansah is the player i want with that 9th pick, . If not him, then i want the LT Fisher.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

Lastly, as far as warmack being the "best guard in the last 10 years" there are a number of scouts who prefer cooper to him in this draft, let alone all time. He is an exceptional player, who was on a great line....but taking the safe pick here is not how you build a championship team.
    I have not seen one person put their name to that (outside of the usual Bleacher Report crap). A few writers have said 'some scouts' but nobody with an actual name which probably means 'one agent'. No doubt Cooper is a great prospect and a low-1st rounder but Warmack is pretty much universally acknowledged as the best prospect at the position this year or this decade.

If you have seen named scouts ranking Cooper higher, I'd love to see that link.

Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    I have not seen one person put their name to that (outside of the usual Bleacher Report crap). A few writers have said 'some scouts' but nobody with an actual name which probably means 'one agent'. No doubt Cooper is a great prospect and a low-1st rounder but Warmack is pretty much universally acknowledged as the best prospect at the position this year or this decade.

It's not that far-fetched to believe that some zone blocking teams (a la Redskins, Texans, Dolphins, etc.) prefer the guy who blocks better in space.

I'd just prefer to draft Warmack because he fits both schemes. In that event, we wouldn't have to worry about a change in blocking schemes if that were to happen down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post

I havent seen scouts named....the point is that if there is even a discussion that cooper is on the same level, then its hard to say that warmack is the best of a decade.

Decastro was widely compared to steve hutchinson, and while warmack is graded higher, decastro really struggled (aside from his injury) his first year and he was considered "cant miss"

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I havent seen scouts named....the point is that if there is even a discussion that cooper is on the same level, then its hard to say that warmack is the best of a decade.

Decastro was widely compared to steve hutchinson, and while warmack is graded higher, decastro really struggled (aside from his injury) his first year and he was considered "cant miss"

Struggled during the regular season?

All League
    LOL Excellent title. And yeah, depending on his combine, Ziggy would be one hell of a pick up

Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    Struggled during the regular season?
    Perhaps the biggest disappointment of Steelers training camp has been the struggles of first-round pick David DeCastro.

Considered the best guard prospect to come out of college in a decade, DeCastro has failed to beat out Ramon Foster, who went undrafted three years ago, for the starting right guard spot.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger asked DeCastro whether he was having more difficulty with the mental or physical part of the game. "He said, ‘The mental part I got. The physical is a lot tougher. These guys are really good,'" Roethlisberger told the Beaver County Times.

I didnt specify if it was regular season or pre or post injury...i just had read (which i posted above) that decastro was struggling with the physical nature of the NFL....

Now in no way do i think he cant overcome it, or be a good player, i just want people to temper their expectations about "cant miss" guys

DeCastro barely played last year. He was on PUP.

Mark his rookie season as "Incomplete."

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    DeCastro barely played last year. He was on PUP.

Mark his rookie season as "Incomplete."
    I agree, my point is that prior to the injury he was unable to even be an immediate starter for the steelers....and everyone thought he was "cant miss".

Warmack is awesome, but to pass on a legit pass-rusher for warmack because you think he is "safer" is not smart, considering he is a guard

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    He's your classic boom or bust prospect.

We absolutely HAVE to hit on this pick at #9.

I don't want a passrusher unless Moore or Jones fall. I'm weary of Jones' medical issues, but the kid is legit.

Ansah is way too risky and Mingo looks like he's built like a damn stick. A guy like Jordan may develop into a solid all-around player, but I want a dominant sack artist if we go OLB at #9, not another Bryan Thomas.
    Jarvis Jones 240 lbs. Mingo is 245 lbs.

If Mingo is built like a stick, couldnt you say the same about Jones?

I like Moore. But more and more, I'm starting to look at him as just a solid prospect. He's a very safe pick, but has a low ceiling. Mingo, Jones, Ansah, & Jordan have alot more potential.

It's looking like Moore & Ansah wont make it to us anyways. If Mingo or Jones (if he checks out) are there, you take them in a heartbeat.

Hall Of Fame
    Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline
    Word is the Pittsbugh Steelers drooling over Ezekial Ansah/BYU as a 3-4 OLB

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline
    Word is the Pittsbugh Steelers drooling over Ezekial Ansah/BYU as a 3-4 OLB
    Well...sh*t.

If the Steelers are obsessed with the guy, maybe he's a better prospect than I give him credit for.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Well...sh*t.

If the Steelers are obsessed with the guy, maybe he's a better prospect than I give him credit for.
    Ha

Yeah if the Steelers are in love with a 3-4 olb, I think it is pretty safe to say that the player is probably pretty good.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Ha

Yeah if the Steelers are in love with a 3-4 olb, I think it is pretty safe to say that the player is probably pretty good.
    Steelers pick #17 and #48 in the first two rounds. That's a pretty good value match for our #9.

Just sayin'

Practice Squad
    I haven no idea what you guys are watching... When I look at film of Ansah, I see a guy with no burst off the line and no power rush. It literally takes him forever to get going and doesn't look strong at the point of attack. looks pathetic in space can't chase down a RB. No thanks, I'll pass. Drafting him at 9 is lololololol ridiculous.

Oh but the upside..., diamond in the rough,... only played ball for two years,..... our dream man,..... Sounds like desperate fans dreaming big. I've seen nothing form this kid.

Quote Originally Posted by positive View Post
    I haven no idea what you guys are watching... When I look at film of Ansah, I see a guy with no burst off the line and no power rush. It literally takes him forever to get going and doesn't look strong at the point of attack. looks pathetic in space can't chase down a RB. No thanks, I'll pass. Drafting him at 9 is lololololol ridiculous.

Oh but the upside..., diamond in the rough,... only played ball for two years,..... our dream man,..... Sounds like desperate fans dreaming big. I've seen nothing form this kid.
    Although some of us (including me) might be overrating him somewhat, you are completely inaccurately bashing him. What film of his did you watch? Id love to check it out if I havent already to see just how bad he looks in it.

According to Tony the Steelers are in love with him, so we should pass on him so they can pick up another stud LB while we sit back and talk about how we could of drafted him

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Bryan Thomas Played for over 10 years in the NFL and was a very important piece in the defense of 2 coaches. I realize sacking the QB is the sexy stat, but Thomas did his job and did it well.
    +1
    If we hit another Bryan Thomas, we'll be lucky. Most top 10 picks don't pan out.