Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ziggy is the Ansah

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Give me Jordan, Ziggy or Mingo in the first

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    You put Mingo on the Jets and nobody ever throws the Ball. I would run at him all day especially when you have the secondary we have.
    Bingo on Mingo

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    The dude is beyond raw as a prospect. He is one of those guys that with a spectacular combine performance, will put him easily in the top 10. Not a ton of tape to go by, you are just drafting on pure potential at this point. Very risky proposition for a first year GM.
    A GM who just came from a team that had no problem taking a very curious and risky pick in Bruce Irvin, who did show flashes of justifying his selection last year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    A GM who just came from a team that had no problem taking a very curious and risky pick in Bruce Irvin, who did show flashes of justifying his selection last year.
    plus when you consider who will be available, most of these guys are not 'sure things' as far as 1st rounders go. even warmack is being questioned as the best guard. if the jets think mingo can be good, take him. jordan or ansah, ok too. these 3 seem to be where need meets value. looks like wr/rb/ol will be addressed beginning in the 2nd round.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    The whole thing is nuts. Especially the 40 time.

BYU DE Ezekiel Ansah did not train for February's Scouting Combine, instead focusing on finishing classes at Brigham Young.

Almost every Combine invitee hires a trainer to prepare. Ansah didn't, and he still tore it up. Measuring in at 6-foot-5 and 271 pounds with 35 1/8-inch arms, Ansah posted the sixth fastest forty time (4.63) of 37 defensive linemen who ran, and his 34 1/2-inch vertical tied for seventh. Only Barkevious Mingo had a faster ten-yard split (1.56). Ansah's agent claims his forty-yard dash at the Combine was the first he's ever run in his life. We expect Ansah to be drafted in the single digits.

Source: National Football Post

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    The whole thing is nuts. Especially the 40 time.
    This part here: "Ansah's agent claims his forty-yard dash at the Combine was the first he's ever run in his life."

I'm skeptical about that comment but agents are agents.

Check out this really cool article: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...al.html?pg=all

Here's an excerpt:

"What can I do with him?" Myles-Mills wondered. "I thought he'd be a decathlete. But what about the pole vault? He's going to break every pole we have."

During the indoor track season, Myles-Mills had Ansah run a sprint against other athletes, with less-than-favorable results. "He was so big, he hit the guy to his right and bumped him off his lane. After the race, I told him, 'You can't do that. This is track and field.' "

Myles-Mills hadn't seen someone with Ansah's size run like he could clocking at 21.9 seconds in the 200 meters.
    Funny stuff, but while he's clearly not built like a short sprinter, it's not like he never ran a sprint before.

That aside, he sounds like a good kid and since there's really nobody without some risk at 9, I figure why not him?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    This part here: "Ansah's agent claims his forty-yard dash at the Combine was the first he's ever run in his life."

Check out this really cool article: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...al.html?pg=all

Here's an excerpt:

Funny stuff, but while he's clearly not built like a short sprinter, it's not like he never ran a sprint before.

That aside, he sounds like a good kid and since there's really nobody without some risk at 9, I figure why not him?
    I've read a lot about this kid now and have seen a few discreet highlights (but didn't watch him in college). That being said, he seems to have a lot of similarities to the Ghost - at least superficially. The problem with the Ghost (at least to me), was that he had no real love, or particular affinity to the game.

Are we comfortable that Ansah has the intangibles and real production to not simply be another workout warrior?
    Last edited by crasherino; 03-04-2013 at 11:04 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trade out.

#1 choice.

Or War Monger.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post

Here's an excerpt:

Hardly doubt some of those stories and times... no question he is a big time athlete but still...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really hope Ansah goes before the Jets.

The more wild sh*t I hear like "fastest 40 time" and other over the top stuff - the more I want nothing to do with him. Smells like trouble.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guy's there's nothing to fear here. This guy's performance at the combines matches his tape. The kid is the real deal. Manti's combine performance didn't match his tape so teams have to go back and study his tape. Mike mamula's combine performance didn't match his tape, but somebody ignored the tpe and drafted him based on what he did against a bunch of objects that didn't hit back.

Last yr, RG3 went to the combines and his performance matched his tape and cemented him as an early pick.

Good kid who's young, great athlete and a playkaker on the field who's still learning. When everything checks out and it's a position of need, whatelse is there to do but make the pick .

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been very high on Jordan all along

Gotta say the more of Ansah I see the more he is at the top of my list at 9

This clip I posted in the OLB/DE shows him in a strong light

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMtBmOdYsqo[

Ljr

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @seniorbowl: NYJ could use an OT or OG or an outside pass rusher. In Rex's 3-4, D Jordan or Mingo would fit. Could be laying in weeds for OL.

@seniorbowl: BYU's Ansah had more understanding of football and an idea of how to fit into team/organization, etc. Not as naive as many expected.

@seniorbowl: BYU's Ansah has every tool, period. Plus, he has more FB knowledge and world view than most expected in interviews. Wildcard of top 10

@seniorbowl: Picking for 4-3=Ziggy, for 3-4=Mingo. Although many will make case that Dion Jordan/Oregon is better choice than Mingo for 4-3 or 3-4.

@seniorbowl: Ziggy Ansah/BYU is a 4-3 DE, while Barkevious Mingo/LSU is a 3-4 OLB. Both have exceptional athletic skills. Ziggy 20-25lbs heavier.

@seniorbowl: Join @seniorbowl Exec Dir Phil Savage for "Monday Night Football" as he answers your questions re: 2013 Draft from 8-9pm central.
    Last edited by C Mart; 03-04-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This guy has played what? 8 games? I want no part of this guy... TOO RISKY for a top 10 pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @seniorbowl: NYJ could use an OT or OG or an outside pass rusher. In Rex's 3-4, D Jordan or Mingo would fit. Could be laying in weeds for OL.

@seniorbowl: BYU's Ansah had more understanding of football and an idea of how to fit into team/organization, etc. Not as naive as many expected.

@seniorbowl: BYU's Ansah has every tool, period. Plus, he has more FB knowledge and world view than most expected in interviews. Wildcard of top 10

@seniorbowl: Picking for 4-3=Ziggy, for 3-4=Mingo. Although many will make case that Dion Jordan/Oregon is better choice than Mingo for 4-3 or 3-4.

@seniorbowl: Ziggy Ansah/BYU is a 4-3 DE, while Barkevious Mingo/LSU is a 3-4 OLB. Both have exceptional athletic skills. Ziggy 20-25lbs heavier.

@seniorbowl: Join @seniorbowl Exec Dir Phil Savage for "Monday Night Football" as he answers your questions re: 2013 Draft from 8-9pm central.
    This is BS, look at the tape, Ansah is athletic enough & has the awareness to stay with a RB & track him down!
    He will be a much better Bryan Thomas when it is all said & done.
    Remember all of those misdirection plays teams ran against us last year?
    Ansah, will hold the point, release & track them down like a Puma.
    I am completely sold after watching this guys tapes.
    We now have a very young & stout Dline, especially if Ellis takes a huge leap with another full training camp.
    Push up the middle equals Ansah tracking down the outside.
    This kid has great instincts & will look more like Aldon Smith than Vernon Ghost.
    Wait & see....there is a very good chance he will be gone @ 9, and we will be lamenting years to come about another, "what we could have had" player.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    This is BS, look at the tape, Ansah is athletic enough & has the awareness to stay with a RB & track him down!
    He will be a much better Bryan Thomas when it is all said & done.
    Remember all of those misdirection plays teams ran against us last year?
    Ansah, will hold the point, release & track them down like a Puma.
    I am completely sold after watching this guys tapes.
    We now have a very young & stout Dline, especially if Ellis takes a huge leap with another full training camp.
    Push up the middle equals Ansah tracking down the outside.
    This kid has great instincts & will look more like Aldon Smith than Vernon Ghost.
    Wait & see....there is a very good chance he will be gone @ 9, and we will be lamenting years to come about another, "what we could have had" player.
    Totally agree with everything you said above. I personally think he is an ideal 3-4 OLB as he can hold the POA and will have his hand on the ground 70% of the time anyway.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    This guy has played what? 8 games? I want no part of this guy... TOO RISKY for a top 10 pick.
    I just dont get the "too risky" thing.

I know we are all looking at this like fans which we are, but think about this as a GM.

If we draft ansah and he busts, thats terrible but if by the time of the draft, he is the consensu best pass rusher available, then its not catastrophic for the job security of the GM (look no further then Tanny and Gholston who was a major bust, but was the "smart pick" at the time).

Now flip that scenario and we draft a guard, (a consensus non-premium position) and say warmack doesnt bust, and is a solid 8 year player in the league. But then Ansah goes after him and becomes the next JPP. Missing on a big time pass rusher for a guard is a move GMs get fired for. The media and fans will literally destroy the GM.

The bigger risk here is playing it too safe.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I just dont get the "too risky" thing.

I know we are all looking at this like fans which we are, but think about this as a GM.

If we draft ansah and he busts, thats terrible but if by the time of the draft, he is the consensu best pass rusher available, then its not catastrophic for the job security of the GM (look no further then Tanny and Gholston who was a major bust, but was the "smart pick" at the time).

Now flip that scenario and we draft a guard, (a consensus non-premium position) and say warmack doesnt bust, and is a solid 8 year player in the league. But then Ansah goes after him and becomes the next JPP. Missing on a big time pass rusher for a guard is a move GMs get fired for. The media and fans will literally destroy the GM.

The bigger risk here is playing it too safe.
    He's not playing any more games between now and the draft, so the only thing that will make him the "concensus" best pass rusher available is work-outs in t-shirts and shorts--which is what every draft expert says you should never use to make your choice.

If we pick him, I'll be his biggest fan--I can definitely see the comparison to JPP and we have needed a guy like that for decades.

The risk is, he COULD be Gholston, he could be a jag, he could be a pretty decent player, or maybe just a institutional player--you just don't know.

I think if Warmack is there, even though he's a "safe" pick, he helps what to me is one of the biggest issues with our offense--the offensive line. Bigger issue than Sanchez or the lack of playmakers--it's the line--we need to build through THAT trench first. If Warmack helps create a stout OLine and our offense thrives over the next 8 years, I'm okay with passing on JPP.

And I disagree on what this GM needs to do as his first move--I think he NEEDS to play it safe--no sense taking that boom or bust risk, he's not getting fired for getting a guy that solidifies our line for the next 8 years.

JMHO.

_

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This guy is the real deal, only problem is he may not be there at 9 when the Jets pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    He's not playing any more games between now and the draft, so the only thing that will make him the "concensus" best pass rusher available is work-outs in t-shirts and shorts--which is what every draft expert says you should never use to make your choice.

If we pick him, I'll be his biggest fan--I can definitely see the comparison to JPP and we have needed a guy like that for decades.

The risk is, he COULD be Gholston, he could be a jag, he could be a pretty decent player, or maybe just a institutional player--you just don't know.

I think if Warmack is there, even though he's a "safe" pick, he helps what to me is one of the biggest issues with our offense--the offensive line. Bigger issue than Sanchez or the lack of playmakers--it's the line--we need to build through THAT trench first. If Warmack helps create a stout OLine and our offense thrives over the next 8 years, I'm okay with passing on JPP.

And I disagree on what this GM needs to do as his first move--I think he NEEDS to play it safe--no sense taking that boom or bust risk, he's not getting fired for getting a guy that solidifies our line for the next 8 years.

JMHO.

_
    I just dont see the need to invest a high pick in a guard when we have needs at a much more premium position - OLB.

Yes, a strong offensive line is very important, but our line is not bad whatsoever. We can resign one of slauson or moore and then find a guard in the 2-4th round area, as this draft is very deep as far as interior lineman.

Our offensive problems are mostly attributed to our QB not understanding protections, holding the ball too long, and having zero pocket feel. The Oline opened holes in the running game, the problem is we had a back that cant make defenders miss.

Id rather see us with ansah and a guy like brian winters without question over taking warmack at 9.