Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Falcons likely to release Michael Turner

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the people who think the Jets are just giving up on 2013 are dead wrong. I fully expect the Jets to sign multiple older veterans for depth purposes and even to start. Kind of like the Yeremiah bell signing last year. 1year deals for the vet minimum or a little above. Serviceable guys that can produce. Who knew what LT would do when he got here, most people said he was done too.

Now obviously they will bring in some younger guys via the draft and those guys will compete to play but the idea that the Jets are just going to start a bunch of 25 year old and under players is not accurate. This isn't Jacksonville, you can't just tank a season. The Jets will be more aggressive in FA then people think. That doesn't mean they will give out long term deals but they will pursue the veterans they need to fill the holes on offense and defense and add some veteran stability.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's basically Shonn Greene.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    I think the people who think the Jets are just giving up on 2013 are dead wrong. I fully expect the Jets to sign multiple older veterans for depth purposes and even to start. Kind of like the Yeremiah bell signing last year. 1year deals for the vet minimum or a little above. Serviceable guys that can produce. Who knew what LT would do when he got here, most people said he was done too.

Now obviously they will bring in some younger guys via the draft and those guys will compete to play but the idea that the Jets are just going to start a bunch of 25 year old and under players is not accurate. This isn't Jacksonville, you can't just tank a season. The Jets will be more aggressive in FA then people think. That doesn't mean they will give out long term deals but they will pursue the veterans they need to fill the holes on offense and defense and add some veteran stability.
    Vets that sign for the vet minimum are usually garbage or strictly 'depth, i hope they don't play' signings. It's very rare that a signing like the Landry one ends up turning out as well as it did.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    He's basically Shonn Greene.
    This, no interest

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post

Agreed. The team is not as far from being a playoff contender as some on this board think. But with that said, Michael Turner is not an upgrade over what we already have.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idzik has already stated multiple times since taking over that the draft will be the focal point for this team.

We aren't bringing in a 30 year old, broken down Michael Turner who is a bad fit for the WCO in the first place.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Turner has had a ton of carries over the last few years. He is slowing down clearly. Big reason why Falcons are cutting him not to mention he is 30.

30 and running back = dont sign

Plus this guy doesnt fit out system. The last few years he would have been perfect but not now.

plenty of other backs out there or the draft is what im hoping for.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    He's not an upgrade.

Can't catch out of the backfield (which you need in a WCO), and he's starting to slow down.
    He's about as close to what we already have in Greene out of any current free agent. And he is on the decline. Nope. Might as well keep Greene for less if we can and pick up at least 1 RB mid rounds.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Turner was great. He's not anymore. The Falcons were a better team with 'Quizz on the field. And he doesn't fit our offense.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    No 30+ running backs.

Seriously?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Falcons are a better run blocking team than the Jets, with an explosive pass offense that loosens run defenses.

A declining Michael Turner running the ball behind the Jets o-line is...Shonn Greene.

No need to go there.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rbstern View Post
    Falcons are a better run blocking team than the Jets, with an explosive pass offense that loosens run defenses.

A declining Michael Turner running the ball behind the Jets o-line is...Shonn Greene.

No need to go there.
    No they're not. The Falcons are one of the poorer run blocking teams in the league. Both in general terms and in "power" situations.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

I'd pass on turner, the Jets need a shifty back who can take the ball outside, catch passes in the flat among other things.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    No they're not. The Falcons are one of the poorer run blocking teams in the league. Both in general terms and in "power" situations.
    I agree.

Falcons use the pass to set up the run.

Jets don't have that option.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    This team went 6-10 with no talent and could have won more games if it was not for a putrid offense.....to assume in feb that a team cannot turn it around is pretty foolish....you might as well not watch any games in 2013 if you think the season is over before it got started. New Offense...now GM and a new culture....you need to look around at todays NFL...teams can turn it around real quick.....after three straight winning seasons the Jets went 8-8 and 6-10 the past two seasons...there are a few teams that fared far worse. The jets problem was NO talent on Offense.....I am confident they will remedy that via the draft and free agency. This is a new slat....I am optimistic of the 2013 season. As talentless as the Jets were, they could have won 9 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Vets that sign for the vet minimum are usually garbage or strictly 'depth, i hope they don't play' signings. It's very rare that a signing like the Landry one ends up turning out as well as it did.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Having watched every Falcons and every Jets game this past season, I will say it again: The Falcons are a better run blocking team than the Jets.

Great? No. But it doesn't take great to be better than the Jets 2012 O-line.