Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falcons likely to release Michael Turner

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like

Falcons likely to release Michael Turner

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/89...turner-sources

The Atlanta Falcons are likely to release running back Michael Turner, who is scheduled to make $6.9 million this season, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Friday.

Turner, 31, rushed for 800 yards and 10 touchdowns this past season as the Falcons reached the NFC Championship Game. It marked the fifth straight season in which he reached double figures in TDs.

Turner split time in 2012 with with second-year pro Jacquizz Rodgers. According to ESPN Stats & Information, Turner was on the field for 503 snaps and Rodgers took part in 502.

A two-time Pro Bowler, Turner has spent the last five seasons with the Falcons after playing his first four years with the San Diego Chargers. He has rushed for 7,338 yards and 66 TDs in 134 career games.
    It will def be interesting to see what he's going to command at 30 years old. At the right price this might be a great fit for the next couple of years for the Jets until they draft his replacement. It immediately upgrades the HB position by a lot.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's not an upgrade.

Can't catch out of the backfield (which you need in a WCO), and he's starting to slow down.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post

It will def be interesting to see what he's going to command at 30 years old. At the right price this might be a great fit for the next couple of years for the Jets until they draft his replacement. It immediately upgrades the HB position by a lot.
    Threads/comments like this never cease to amaze me.

Can you explain how michale turner could possibly "upgrade the HB position by a lot". He might be the only RB in the league slower then greene.

Forget the WCO that we now run....if your RB cant catch/run patterns then it severly limits what the defense has to prepare for. In todays NFL you need a RB that can be versatile.

Id be shocked to see turner get $1 more then the veteran minimum

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously what's the infatuation with a guy like Turner or Bradshaw?

When there are guys like Bernard Pierce, Vick Ballard, LaMichael James, David Wilson, and Andre Brown sprouting up every year via the draft, what's the point of a Turner of Bradshaw? Some of you are silly to think an over-priced FA RB with his best years being behind him would be the answer to our offensive woes.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Turner used to be elite until he couldn't push himself away from the buffet table.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL...how in the hell does adding a guy slower and less elusive than Greene "immediately upgrade" the HB position??? The guy has worse hands than Greene and has a ton of mileage on him. Turner is done, period.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think turner will even get a job this year. Hes done.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    If the Jets sign any FA's, outside of our own, it will most likely be names many have never heard of.

Stop with this nonsnese. We are rebuilding!! We will be looking for younger, cheap FA's this offseason.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    He's not an upgrade.

Can't catch out of the backfield (which you need in a WCO), and he's starting to slow down.
    Exactly, a RB in the 3rd or 4th round would definitely be a better option.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Turner used to be elite until he couldn't push himself away from the buffet table.
    The only time he was anywhere near elite was when he was backing up the elite LTomlinson.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    The only time he was anywhere near elite was when he was backing up the elite LTomlinson.
    Yeah ok buddy

2008 season 1699 yards rushing, 17 TD's, 4.5 per carry.
    2009 missed 6 games, still had 871 yds rushing, 10 TD's, 4.9 per carry.
    2010 1371 yards rushing, 12 TD's, 4.1 per carry.
    2011 1340 yards rushing, 11 TD's, 4.5 per carry.

Up until last year he was every bit of elite compared to his peers.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are kidding right? Have you been watching Turner? It's obvious that he has slipped big time......right now Shohn Greene is better than Turner and I strongly feel that Greene will not be on the roster in 2013. If you watch college football you would know that there are quite a few competent Running backs in this years draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    But why take on an aging RB??? I see the stats but he looked old and slow in 2012...why take that on when he also is not great out of the backfield or is elusive???? Are you aware that we now are running the WCO??? McKnight is a great fit and the Jets will also draft another RB. Enough with bringing in aging vets. Even if Turner was at peak form, his style of running does not jell with the WCO. Does that make any sense???

Yeah ok buddy

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah ok buddy

Fair enough, I made a rash judgement without fact checking first. You posted undeniable facts. You're entitled to your opinion.

I've never considered him elite. I was never scared of him as a player to have to account for, and for all his numbers, he didn't help his team at all. Their best year was when he split carries with Jaquizz (this year).

Also, my definition of elite is in absolute terms; not in relative terms. Yes, according to your post, Turner was in the top 3 of his rushing class for three out of his 5 serviceable years...not once was he top dog, and even his best season pales mightily in comparison to other 'elite' RBs in history.

Furthermore, having such a limited data set should take him out of 'elite' consideration...you can't be anything if you're not playing...whether its sitting behind an all time great or being injured or ineffective (this past year), it's hard to make a judgement when he's not on the field. Bo Jackson is the exception to this rule, because he was literally a freak, and he proved it by taking the nation by storm in the little time he had to prove it. Turner did no such thing.

Again, you backed it up, and if elite to you is a relative term, then I'm wrong and he's elite. But in my definition of elite, he's not.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL First Gonzo now Turner

Matt Ryan is ****ting his pants knowing he's going to have to throw over 15 yards to make his offense productive

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is 2013 not 2008.

He was a great pickup for them b.c he was lightly used in SD. Guy has a lot of miles on him now.

No thanks.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post

Matt Ryan is ****ting his pants knowing he's going to have to throw over 15 yards to make his offense productive
    If they draft Eddie Lacey their offense could be deadly.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post

There's strong talk Gonzo is coming back for one more year..............per ESPN.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    There's strong talk Gonzo is coming back for one more year..............per ESPN.
    Then I wonder if he's been talking to Ray Lewis about hunting some deer lately

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    But why take on an aging RB??? I see the stats but he looked old and slow in 2012...why take that on when he also is not great out of the backfield or is elusive???? Are you aware that we now are running the WCO??? McKnight is a great fit and the Jets will also draft another RB. Enough with bringing in aging vets. Even if Turner was at peak form, his style of running does not jell with the WCO. Does that make any sense???
    Don't get me wrong, I don't want him. I was responding to the post that stated he was only elite when he backed up LT.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    Fair enough, I made a rash judgement without fact checking first. You posted undeniable facts. You're entitled to your opinion.

I've never considered him elite. I was never scared of him as a player to have to account for, and for all his numbers, he didn't help his team at all. Their best year was when he split carries with Jaquizz (this year).

Also, my definition of elite is in absolute terms; not in relative terms. Yes, according to your post, Turner was in the top 3 of his rushing class for three out of his 5 serviceable years...not once was he top dog, and even his best season pales mightily in comparison to other 'elite' RBs in history.

Furthermore, having such a limited data set should take him out of 'elite' consideration...you can't be anything if you're not playing...whether its sitting behind an all time great or being injured or ineffective (this past year), it's hard to make a judgement when he's not on the field. Bo Jackson is the exception to this rule, because he was literally a freak, and he proved it by taking the nation by storm in the little time he had to prove it. Turner did no such thing.

Again, you backed it up, and if elite to you is a relative term, then I'm wrong and he's elite. But in my definition of elite, he's not.
    OK, then you consider him "elite" when he backed up LT? I'm with you, he was never "elite" amongst the greatest of all time. I'm 100% with your argument in regards to when people call Flacco or Eli "elite". They're not. To me "Elite" should be limited to the greatest ever which Eli and Flacco aren't even in the same statosphere of the true elites. That being said, when you say Turner was "elite" only when he backed up LT I have to assume you're referring to his "elite" status in comparison with his peers playing during his tenure. Compared to his peers his best years were his years with the Falcons leading up to last year. He was one of the best RB's in the league during his time with the Falcons until last year. Last season (and the one before frankly) he started munching at the buffet table far too much and lost alot of what made him "the burner" Turner. I don't want him now, but he definitely WAS a top tier RB in his first 4 years with ATL.