Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: Could Greg McElroy emerge as Jets starter?

  1. #1

    Could Greg McElroy emerge as Jets starter?

    McElroy led a nice Jet 4th qtr comeback when Sanchez couldn't do anything. The next time McElroy took the field it was obvious that the team didn't play hard for him. McElroy is smart and I think he's perfect for the West Coast offense. He will know the routes and he will know the check downs and he doesn't make the dumb mistakes. All things being equal I think McElroy has a good chance to be Jets starter next season. That's if it's a fair competition without money being a factor.

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,946
    Not a chance. Matt Flynn will be here in a couple weeks.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Somerville, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,731
    God I hope not.

  4. #4
    Not a chance. He simply isn't an NFL starter (think Ken Dorsey, Chris Weinke, etc) and as putrid as Sanchez is, he tends to have good camps, whereas I've never heard anyone gush about McElroy's camp performances except for the standard comments about him improving, but never to the point where he should be taken seriously.

    He provided a late game spark vs. Arizona that caught everyone involved off guard. Had he been that week's starter and the situation been normalized, I think him vs. Lindley for 60 minutes would have been excruciatingly painful football to watch. Yes, even worse than Sanchez vs. Lindley was.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,566
    Um NOPE

  6. #6
    Plus he got knocked out for a year in his first preseason, and in his first NFL start he got his brain busted up. He looks about 25 lbs lighter than Sanchez who looks as rail thin as an Calvin Klein model himself, so I don't even think he has the durability of a starter neither.

    In summation, the next Jet QB for the long haul isn't anywhere on this roster.

  7. #7
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,696
    He could emerge as tops in a competition; however, He doesn't really have the arm as was demonstrated the few times he threw deep. Probability is very low.

  8. #8
    No, he's terrible. Last time I saw a QB as bad as him on the Jets was Brooks Bollinger.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,566
    And thats why Rex said there will be a competition....it also means that another veteran will probably be brought in...I also see them drafting a QB.





    Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    Plus he got knocked out for a year in his first preseason, and in his first NFL start he got his brain busted up. He looks about 25 lbs lighter than Sanchez who looks as rail thin as an Calvin Klein model himself, so I don't even think he has the durability of a starter neither.

    In summation, the next Jet QB for the long haul isn't anywhere on this roster.

  10. #10
    He did provide a spark, but quite frankly, he wasn't really that good. He was 2/3 on the drive with a 1 yard TD, Powell had a long run, and Mcelroy picked upa roughness penalty. He was also bailed out on a terribly INT by a penalty later in the game. He did make the plays he needed to do (Something Sanchez could not do), but the guy isn't a NFL caliber QB.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    He did provide a spark, but quite frankly, he wasn't really that good. He was 2/3 on the drive with a 1 yard TD, Powell had a long run, and Mcelroy picked upa roughness penalty. He was also bailed out on a terribly INT by a penalty later in the game. He did make the plays he needed to do (Something Sanchez could not do), but the guy isn't a NFL caliber QB.
    The spark he provided = not turning the ball over to the other teams defense so they could put it in the endzone at the same deflating rate as Sanchez.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    And thats why Rex said there will be a competition....it also means that another veteran will probably be brought in...I also see them drafting a QB.
    You really, REALLY think so though? Given what they are stuck with paying Sanchez, Rex's genuine affinity for him, I can see the moment Mark looks capable in camp (which he does tend to do) he's given the job for another year with the usual Rex gushing to provide a bow to pretty up that lump of coal we'll find in our September stocking.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    The spark he provided = not turning the ball over to the other teams defense so they could put it in the endzone at the same deflating rate as Sanchez.
    I agree. I didn't say Sanchez was the longterm answer, though. Just that a guy who's spark is defined by "not turning the ball over..." isn't really a longterm answer.

  14. #14
    His lone start against SD was deflating - not because I expected anything major from him but more because he failed to even display future backup potential.

    McElroy will be out of the league within a couple of seasons. Just not NFL caliber in any area.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Midland Park, NJ
    Posts
    3,703
    If we want a better draft pick sure

  16. #16
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,405
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    McElroy led a nice Jet 4th qtr comeback when Sanchez couldn't do anything. The next time McElroy took the field it was obvious that the team didn't play hard for him. McElroy is smart and I think he's perfect for the West Coast offense. He will know the routes and he will know the check downs and he doesn't make the dumb mistakes. All things being equal I think McElroy has a good chance to be Jets starter next season. That's if it's a fair competition without money being a factor.
    Your logic is beyond fuzzy...McElroy has a better chance of emerging from a pile of 4 defensive linemen than earning back the starting position.

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,755
    If we go into camp with our current roster of QBs and a TRUE open competition????

    Yes. There is a chance.

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    northern jersey
    Posts
    3,124
    He probably won't even be on the Jets next year.

  19. #19
    Tom Brady is a horrible athlete yet he is a hall of famer. Joe Montana the superstar of the west coast offense was a fragile little guy without a rocket arm. What they both have along with McElroy is brains. With the Jets installing a west coast offense I give McElroy a better chance than Sanchez to stick. He is cheaper and if he plays well the Jets just created a valuable piece with a cheap sticker price. That's how you develop a winning team. With this salary cap you can't buy all the best players you have to develop a bunch of low picks. I'm not saying McElroy will be this player we are all looking for but you all need to get your heads out of the sand and realize he has as good a chance as anyone else at this point.

  20. #20
    Nope. If he is still on this team week one I'll jump on the fire Rex band wagon. He shouldn't have made last years team.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us