Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could Greg McElroy emerge as Jets starter?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He has the brain for it but not the body. Get a star running back and shore up the o-line and maybe we can win with McElroy and solid defense.
    I wouldn't be opposed to letting him start next year, it's a waste year anyway to clear the cap. Then in 2014 we either draft a future star or spend on a free agent if it isn't working out.
    Last edited by JetsCrazey; 02-23-2013 at 02:11 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was never given a chance, They threw him to the dogs both times and once it worked. The OL just plain gave up the second time after they gave him two practices on a short week.
    He may well be a bum but he has been given zero chance so far, MS is a bum who has been given way too many chances. It is a fact that he is much smarter than MS but alot of QB's out there now are not too smart; and yet they win.
    So, could he start, maybe but he should run as far as possible from this train wreck. I liked Rex but I think he still looks like he is lying in every press conference and he will retreat to his way of doing things. Unfortunately, I think he will give MS the benefit of all doubt because of his salary. This team has never given anyone a shot to be the QB since day one of MS, and it is not likely they will. I think the QB competition is complete BS and will never happen,,I hope I am wrong.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Tom Brady is a horrible athlete yet he is a hall of famer. Joe Montana the superstar of the west coast offense was a fragile little guy without a rocket arm. What they both have along with McElroy is brains. With the Jets installing a west coast offense I give McElroy a better chance than Sanchez to stick. He is cheaper and if he plays well the Jets just created a valuable piece with a cheap sticker price. That's how you develop a winning team. With this salary cap you can't buy all the best players you have to develop a bunch of low picks. I'm not saying McElroy will be this player we are all looking for but you all need to get your heads out of the sand and realize he has as good a chance as anyone else at this point.
    I thought so to until his last game where he just froze up completely, and took around 30 sacks. What was he trying to reduce the salary costs of the Oline?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by usapaw View Post
    He was never given a chance, They threw him to the dogs both times and once it worked. The OL just plain gave up the second time after they gave him two practices on a short week.
    He may well be a bum but he has been given zero chance so far, MS is a bum who has been given way too many chances. It is a fact that he is much smarter than MS but alot of QB's out there now are not too smart; and yet they win.
    So, could he start, maybe but he should run as far as possible from this train wreck. I liked Rex but I think he still looks like he is lying in every press conference and he will retreat to his way of doing things. Unfortunately, I think he will give MS the benefit of all doubt because of his salary. This team has never given anyone a shot to be the QB since day one of MS, and it is not likely they will. I think the QB competition is complete BS and will never happen,,I hope I am wrong.
    Well you are allowed to throw the ball.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the front office opts not to sign a veteran and doesn't spend a first round pick on a QB, then yes, McElroy could win the job. He will perform better in the WCO than Sanchez, but if they add a name veteran (Moore, Flynn) or use the ninth overall pick on a QB, he won't be the guy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    McElroy led a nice Jet 4th qtr comeback when Sanchez couldn't do anything. The next time McElroy took the field it was obvious that the team didn't play hard for him. McElroy is smart and I think he's perfect for the West Coast offense. He will know the routes and he will know the check downs and he doesn't make the dumb mistakes. All things being equal I think McElroy has a good chance to be Jets starter next season. That's if it's a fair competition without money being a factor.
    We need a QB. That's what this season determined.

McElroy would probably be a nice 3rd stringer, but don't think for a second that we are going to become a powerhouse with Greg at QB.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sure if the 1,2 go down he is our man.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tom Brady is a horrible athlete yet he is a hall of famer. Joe Montana the superstar of the west coast offense was a fragile little guy without a rocket arm. What they both have along with McElroy is brains. With the Jets installing a west coast offense I give McElroy a better chance than Sanchez to stick. He is cheaper and if he plays well the Jets just created a valuable piece with a cheap sticker price. That's how you develop a winning team. With this salary cap you can't buy all the best players you have to develop a bunch of low picks. I'm not saying McElroy will be this player we are all looking for but you all need to get your heads out of the sand and realize he has as good a chance as anyone else at this point.
    The knock on Montana's arm is grossly over exaggerated. He stil had ability to make just about any throw he needed to.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    Not a chance. He simply isn't an NFL starter (think Ken Dorsey, Chris Weinke, etc) and as putrid as Sanchez is, he tends to have good camps, whereas I've never heard anyone gush about McElroy's camp performances except for the standard comments about him improving, but never to the point where he should be taken seriously.

He provided a late game spark vs. Arizona that caught everyone involved off guard. Had he been that week's starter and the situation been normalized, I think him vs. Lindley for 60 minutes would have been excruciatingly painful football to watch. Yes, even worse than Sanchez vs. Lindley was.
    You should read JETS INSIDER . Leberfeld wrote many positives about McElroy's camp this past year. He was impressed with the additional arm strength that he developed in the off season. He mentioned his accuracy many times. Just sayin.....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I thought so to until his last game where he just froze up completely, and took around 30 sacks. What was he trying to reduce the salary costs of the Oline?
    Imagine what Suckchez would have done if the OL played that poorly for him. It would be a sad day in Jetsville! If Sucky gets hit one time early in the game he is done for. McElroy took the punishment and kept trying to do play. Sucky would have been funny enough to laugh at !

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    McElroy = Pennington without the heart and football smarts

Only Jets fans could ever think this guy could be anything more than a crappy 3rd stringer.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    The knock on Montana's arm is grossly over exaggerated. He only went on to become the greatest QB of all time.
    Fixed for ya

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    You should read JETS INSIDER . Leberfeld wrote many positives about McElroy's camp this past year. He was impressed with the additional arm strength that he developed in the off season. He mentioned his accuracy many times. Just sayin.....
    And then he got actual playing time and looked like someone to never let near the field again. I understand you wrote that in response to me saying I've never heard about anyone gush about McElroy in camp, but I've been reading camp reports for many years and it's full of fluffy, positive pieces that are full of BS. Just watching him in the preseason tells you he's not nor will ever be the future of this franchise. All McElroy proved is that Leberfeld needs a better eye to judge talent with.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    McElroy plays like a girl. The Jets could have Oscar Pistorius as their 3rd qb and ppl on this site would be raving over him.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    McElroy plays like a girl. The Jets could have Oscar Pistorius as their 3rd qb and ppl on this site would be raving over him.
    LOL true!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Imagine what Suckchez would have done if the OL played that poorly for him. It would be a sad day in Jetsville! If Sucky gets hit one time early in the game he is done for. McElroy took the punishment and kept trying to do play. Sucky would have been funny enough to laugh at !
    I saw it. He through a lot of picks, and a lot of incompletions. They were sending the house against McElroy and he was completely unprepared for it. McEroy at least held onto the ball and took the sacks, but is it too much to ask to have a guy diagnose the play, slide the protections, and get the damn ball out? Is that really too much to ask?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt it but I'd rather see him in there than Brady Quinn.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is not Bill Walsh's west coast offense from 30 years ago. No one runs that type of WCO anymore. This system has a lot of down the field throws, which McElroy won't be able to make. I do agree he's very smart, but the game has changed so much since Montana has played. QBs must have athletic ability or a rocket-arm to succeed these days.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I doubt it but I'd rather see him in there than Brady Quinn.
    Both are garbage but at least Quinn can throw.