Thread: My annual 'trade down' thread...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

My annual 'trade down' thread...

I've seen a number of people say that this draft is very deep but after the first few picks it becomes a jumble though the 1st round.

Let me be clear that if a guy the Jets love is there at 9 you take him and don't look back, however for the rest of this thread I am going to make an assumption that there may not be a clear cut guy they like at 9.

Tanny showed in his time that he was not a trade down kind of guy. He made a few minor trade downs (and didn't get good value). Perhaps Idzik is different.

The first thing to think about is what type of players will be there at 9 that may be desirable for other teams lower in the draft. The three key positions in my opinion are CB, OLB/DE and LT.

If a guy like Milliner happens to slide to our spot I could see teams want to go up to get the #1 rated CB. I haven't heard enough to know how close the next rated CB is to Milliner.

The OLB/DE crop is interesting. Seems like more then one risk reward type of guy and I could for sure see some team totally falling in love with an Ansah, Jones, Mingo, Werner or Jordan and being willing to traded up to get the guy they have fallen in love with.

LT's are always in demand. Joeckel will be gone but Fisher and or Johnson could be there at 9 and a team lower down would be willing to move up to get them. I think that you would be looking at teams from 17 and down to the end of the 1st round as partners. The teams from 10 to 16 are all still in rebuild mode and unlikely to trade up in my mind.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'd love it if the jets traded back. the issue is that the depth of the 1st round means that teams may not need to trade up. maybe if someone slides that another team really wants, they could do it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i'd love it if the jets traded back. the issue is that the depth of the 1st round means that teams may not need to trade up. maybe if someone slides that another team really wants, they could do it.
    Yes, the whole key is for a team to fall in love with one player and that is all it takes. If they feel they can get a good piece where they stand then no reason for them to trade up but if a team looks at Jarvis Jones and sees Aldon Smith or if a team looks at Lane Johnson and feels he is the best LT in the draft they may have that incentive.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Yes, the whole key is for a team to fall in love with one player and that is all it takes. If they feel they can get a good piece where they stand then no reason for them to trade up but if a team looks at Jarvis Jones and sees Aldon Smith or if a team looks at Lane Johnson and feels he is the best LT in the draft they may have that incentive.
    I think 9 is a good pick for a LT, a position that St Louis at 16 will not be able to fill.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    It is all a matter of who is there. If the best they can get at 9 is Warmack then no. I think if Allen or Patterson is there Miami may look to jump up a few spots to get a WR over Tenn and SD. Would be well worth a 3rd for them IMO. TB could trade up for a DE they really want someone still there. Or if the Panthers see Star or Richarson as a huge run D upgrade it may be worth it for them. Cinci also has an extra 2nd rounder so if they really want to upgrade their DL it is possible too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I think 9 is a good pick for a LT, a position that St Louis at 16 will not be able to fill.
    Chicago at #20 would be another option ... not sure about LT specifically, but their OL is a mess.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Chicago at #20 would be another option ... not sure about LT specifically, but their OL is a mess.
    But chicago does not have a 3rd, so a trade will have the effect of getting one player in the top 1/2 of the draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was posting this on the main site, if a stud LT falls to 9, would it be crazy to trade Dbrick?
    This is a great deep draft in the trenches & the Jets need to revamp this roster.
    Of course I have no clue how Bricks contract is structured.
    Could you imagine the haul of draft picks the Jets could have in 2013 & 2014 if they traded Revis & Dbrick.
    Last edited by jetster; 02-23-2013 at 05:44 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, consider the Rams trading up to get Eric Fisher or Lane Johnson. Kindly note , San Diego at 11 probably will go LT... The Jets send their first round pick 9 and their second round pick (41 ?) to the Rams for the 16th &22nd pick in the first round, and the Rams 4th round pick... The trade is even from a trade value chart perspective... it gives the jets some nice options in the first round, but I like the values in the 4th round. With all the holes the jets have, an extra 4th round pick would be a good thing...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    But chicago does not have a 3rd, so a trade will have the effect of getting one player in the top 1/2 of the draft.
    I would take the 20th pick, and the bears second round pick, and make up the rest of the trade by taking the Bears 2nd round pick in 2014

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Fisher ever fell to us (extreme long shot at this point) I think Chicago would swap picks and give us their 2014 #1.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    If Fisher ever fell to us (extreme long shot at this point) I think Chicago would swap picks and give us their 2014 #1.
    Where do I sign for this?