Thread: eagles to keep nnamdi and cut his pay?

eagles to keep nnamdi and cut his pay?

By Jordan Raanan, NJ.com
    NFL Combine: Eagles to keep Nnamdi Asomugha and cut his pay?
    Chip Kelly had the chance to endorse Nnamdi Asomugha on a national platform Thursday at the NFL Scouting Combine. He punted.

Instead he offered a lukewarm review of the well-compensated cornerback's skills.

"I think Nnamdi has a skillset, that can play football," Kelly said.

Words so soft suggest Nnamdi's future in Philadelphia is in danger. Deservedly so. He vastly underperformed in his first two seasons with the Eagles after signing a lucrative free-agent contract.

Still, I can see a feasible and likely scenario where Asomugha, who is set to make $15 million, returns next season. The Eagles met with Asomugha's agent on Friday morning. It was termed a "general" meeting, but certainly the topic of a pay cut and his future was discussed.

The good part for the Eagles is they have Asomugha by the midsection. After his play the past two seasons (Pro Football Focus ranked him 101st out of 113 cornerbacks in 2012), nobody is going to hand him a significant contract if he's released. Asomugha would get the $4 million he's guaranteed then likely receive a few million more from a team that hopes he can revert to his old form.

The likely solution is a restructure with the Eagles, somewhere in the $6 to $10 million range.

Kelly doesn't really care the price. That's not his side of the business. That's general manager Howie Roseman's concern. Kelly's job is to coach. His job is to decide if there is something useful Asomugha can provide on the field.

"I'm not a money guy, so I don't look at guys - when I watch film, I'm just trying to look at what they can do, what schemes they're in, trying to understand that," Kelly said. "When they called something, what was the guy trying to do? Can he transition, can he get in and out of breaks, can he make plays on the ball, tackle. When I look at guys, I don't say, 'is he worth this much or that much?'"

It's likely that Kelly believes he can get a version of the old Asomugha to return. The Eagles need it badly. They're already content to let cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie walk and need at least one, possibly two, new starting safeties.

It would be very difficult even with the Eagles in good shape with the salary cap to acquire three or four new starters in the secondary this offseason. Good cornerbacks are hard to find in the first place. Good safeties have been elusive ever since Brian Dawkins' departure.

So for one more year set a reduced price, Asomugha might be worth giving one more chance to prove he can at least be a contributor, price tag be damned.

Veteran
    I really wonder what the numbers are as far as guys who live up to their big contracts. Top performing athletes should be near a sure-thing, but it seems that at best 50% of these big FA signings actually work out.

And I mean specifically FA's joining another team . . .

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    I really wonder what the numbers are as far as guys who live up to their big contracts. Top performing athletes should be near a sure-thing, but it seems that at best 50% of these big FA signings actually work out.

And I mean specifically FA's joining another team . . .
    The reason its 50% is the same reason that mark sanchez cant get it done for us....once you hit the NFL its way more mental/heart/effort then it is physical skills.

The vast majority of NFL players were the best in their state in HS, best on their college team etc...all these guys are amazing athletes. But once you get them all together, the ones that arent 110% dedicated and who give max effort simply cant be effective.

Sure sanchez can make every throw, run pretty well, has good mechanics etc, but if he cant understand how to read defenses or basic situational football then he simply cant be effective.

Albert Haynesworth is an unbelievable athlete and a mountain of a man, but if he has his guaranteed money, and doesnt really love football or competing then a guy 100 pounds less then him will destroy him in an actual game if that guy is giving his all.

That is where we have made more mistakes as a franchise then in anything else...paying guys like santonio holmes is simply not a smart risk-reward proposition and now we are paying for it.