Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F*ck Cancer (yeah, another one of these)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy F*ck Cancer (yeah, another one of these)

Been away the last few days.
    Found out on Saturday one of my best friends since childhood (kindergarten, actually) finally lost his battle with pancreatic cancer.

I am no expert on the subject, but from what I've heard, someone living for a year or more with pancreatic cancer is almost unheard of.

My friend somehow managed to fight his way through this for the better part of 10+ years.

During that span, he lost his pancreas, had 2/3 of his liver removed, two hip replacements, and one lung removed. It never slowed him down for long, and despite all he went through, I never, ever heard him complain to anyone, or feel sorry for himself.

He was an avid outdoorsman and used his love of the outdoors as his motivation to get through his heinous treatments. The only think keeping him going was knowing that if he survived, he'd be able to get that fishing trip in or go on that next hunting trip.

He was even hunting as recently as last week; it took him nearly an hour to get into his tree stand (because of his reduced lung capacity and strength) but he did get up there, and he did come home with a deer that day (after it took him an hour to get down from the tree).

Not long after he got married he moved away, and I haven't seen him as much. We did get together for dinner a couple of years ago, but sadly not recently enough, and frankly I just feel awful about it. I hadn't made the effort that I could have. I don't know why I am posting this, just wanted to say something to the effect of not taking your friends & family for granted.

RIP you big lug.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a really cool dude. RIP.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Off to visit a coworker in Kessler West Orange. He had a cancerous tumor removed from his brain. Hear he is going well. Godspeed to all cancer patients

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very sorry for your loss.

To pick up on your point: I was reading a blog post by this Australian hospice nurse, a woman who had spent 12 years taking care of patients in the last few weeks of their lives.

She was talking about what people regret at the very end of their lives and the #1 thing - the one she said every male patient she took care of brought up - was they wished they had spent more time around their kids and family.

It's something to think about. The thing we do control is how we spend the lives we have. I for one - and I used to feel differently - am never going to feel bad about taking time to be with my kids or family.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cancer sucks.

Sorry about your friend.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Sounds like a really cool dude. RIP.
    Thanks - he really, really was. For a guy his size, he was really just a big goofball who was never afraid to make himself look silly in order to get a laugh.

He was also never afraid to (badly) sing any random song that happened to pop into his head, usually with hilarious results.

He was my first fishing buddy, he is actually the one responsible for my love of it today.

We all knew this day was coming, and it still didn't make it any easier.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    he was really just a big goofball who was never afraid to make himself look silly in order to get a laugh.
    sounds like a Hampur guy, probably top ten.

he looks like he took good care of himself too.

so sad

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Fish. Losing awesome loved ones is just brutal. No pain like it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    F*ck cancer is right.

Sorry for your loss Fish and thoughts and prayers to his family.

One of the guys in my fantasy football league was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in November 2011. He lasted about 4 months. So 10+ years is amazing and a blessing, if there is any such thing as a blessing with such a terrible disease. Glad to hear that he was able to enjoy the time he was given to the best of his abilities. Sounds like an incredible guy.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    RIP, sorry for your loss.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you lost a wonderful friend. Sorry to hear, Fish.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for your loss Fish.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    So sorry to hear that man. My thoughts are with you and your friend and his family. Cancer is a mother fu%ker. It knows no boundries and most families are touched by it to some degree. Take care of yourself now and remember the great times. Life is about making memories.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear that Fish

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fish, sorry to hear about the loss of your buddy. My Mom died of the same disease last year. From diagnosis to her death took about five months. I'm still in shock.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    sounds like a Hampur guy, probably top ten.

he looks like he took good care of himself too.

so sad

He really was quite the strapping physical specimen, literally as healthy as a horse. Any lesser man (like myself) would not have lasted a year.
    Plus hanging out with him kept me from getting my ass kicked in school. Plus his older brothers were pretty menacing to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    Sorry Fish. Losing awesome loved ones is just brutal. No pain like it.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    F*ck cancer is right.

Sorry for your loss Fish and thoughts and prayers to his family.

One of the guys in my fantasy football league was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in November 2011. He lasted about 4 months. So 10+ years is amazing and a blessing, if there is any such thing as a blessing with such a terrible disease. Glad to hear that he was able to enjoy the time he was given to the best of his abilities. Sounds like an incredible guy.
    He really was, like top 5 best friends ever.

Quote Originally Posted by wallstreet123456 View Post
    RIP, sorry for your loss.
    ty

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Sounds like you lost a wonderful friend. Sorry to hear, Fish.
    Thanks man. The wakes & the funerals were the worst thing I had to go through in a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bing in Buffalo View Post
    So sorry to hear that man. My thoughts are with you and your friend and his family. Cancer is a mother fu%ker. It knows no boundries and most families are touched by it to some degree. Take care of yourself now and remember the great times. Life is about making memories.

Thanks Bing. I take everything back about me knocking some of your kooky threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Sorry to hear that Fish
    Thanks Paulie.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Fish, sorry to hear about the loss of your buddy. My Mom died of the same disease last year. From diagnosis to her death took about five months. I'm still in shock.
    Oh wow Borgo I didn't know (or I did know and simply forgot ) that is was the same thing your mom had. I also didn't know how quickly this form of cancer can rob people. I guess we were all lucky to have him around for another 10 years. He really touched a lot of lives. His sister told me that he was out just the other week helping someone move furniture, the wack job. But that's how he was, he didn't want to be treated any differently because of his disease.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry bud.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for your loss, Fish.

I lost my aunt this week to lung cancer. I visited my best friend in the hospital yesterday who had a cancerous stomach removed. It's been a rough week. I lost my parents to cancer. So I agree cancer sucks. I read that 95% of American Cancer Society donations go to their bureauacracy. It is no wonder that cures are slow to come. It has become a cash cow for medical professionals.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, Fish.

No words of wisdom from me other than been there and it sucks. Sounds like we lost a good man.

-

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Sorry to hear, Hook. Very sad.