Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: idzik wants revis to remain a jet.

idzik wants revis to remain a jet.

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- The New York Jets made one thing clear Thursday. They're not planning to trade Darrelle Revis.

In their most detailed comments since rumors surfaced the team might be shopping Revis, coach Rex Ryan and new general manager John Idzik said they expect Revis to return from his season-ending knee injury as a Jet.

''With respect to clarity, I don't know that anything has really changed because we really have always wanted Darrelle to be a part of our team,'' Idzik said at the league's annual scouting combine in Indianapolis. ''That has not changed. I think there's been rumors or stories published and it's really hard for me or anybody in our organization to speculate and answer to all the rumors or stories that we hear. With respect to Darrelle, we have always wanted him to be a part of the New York Jets.''

The stories about Revis' potential departure had become so consuming that after Idzik walked to the podium and introduced himself to reporters, he spent the next eight minutes talking almost exclusively about the star cornerback.

When Idzik finished, it was Ryan's turn to speak his mind, and, as usual, he didn't mince words.

''When I called Darrelle up I said, 'Darrelle, let's face it, the man (Idzik) hasn't been on the job for 24 hours and now you're going to get traded?' I thought that was kind of interesting,'' Ryan said. ''And I said, 'You know, it's not accurate. Plain and simple, it's not accurate.' I told him that. If he was to be involved in a trade, I think he and his agents would know about it, as would the general manager and myself, I would think.''

That's not where the Revis story ended Thursday.

Less than 24 hours after Revis and Seattle cornerback Richard Sherman traded barbs on Twitter, Jets brass was pulled into that, too.

Ryan didn't seem overly concerned, and Ryan may have even fueled the Twitter war by saying, ''I don't know him (Sherman) well enough to compare him to Darrelle Revis, but if you put yourself in that company, that's the company you want to be with. That's the company you want to be with, that's for sure.''

Seattle general manager John Schneider took a different tack.

''We know Richard, and to us, it's not a really big deal. It's what makes him who he is,'' Schneider said. ''It's one of the things that made us fall in love with him, and it gives him the confidence to play the way he plays. He feels that he's the best cornerback in the league, and God bless him.''

The bigger question may be where all this goes now.

Revis is one of the highest-paid players on a team that just cut five players to get under the league's mandated salary cap, and his contract is up after next season. He is scheduled to make $6 million in 2013 as he tries to return from the left knee injury.

Right now, at least, the Jets are saying those things don't matter. They want just want their top cover cornerback to focus on getting healthy and playing football.

''My focus with Darrelle right now is to aid him in any way we can in his rehab so that he returns to the player that we all know he is,'' Idzik said. ''What's good for Darrelle is good for the New York Jets.''

Veteran
    Honestly, despite all the comments here - and my own mixed feelings - great teams need great players.

The very best you may get back for Revis is two 1st's - and those would almost assuredly be very late in the round (going to good teams). Not a lot of impact players down past #25.

Really, the Jets just need to get better - much better - at using the picks they have already. There is no lack of picks, just of success. And, Revis can be well-paid but he has to put aside this idea that he is worth as much as a QB.

So if he can hold up that easy part of the bargain, there is plenty of common ground between the Jets plans and his own.

Never trust a word ANY GM says between the Super Bowl and the Draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Never trust a word ANY GM says between the Super Bowl and the Draft.
    Exactly, no one is going to you what they are actually thinking this time of year. Any public comment should be taken with a grain of salt, means nothing really.

Jets have a history of trading away their best players (who then go win Superbowls)...Keyshawn Johnson (we still haven't replaced). If the Jets trade Revis, they better get a starting lineman and a 1st round pick. Revis will go on to win a Superbowl and the Jets will never replace him. KEEP YOUR STUD PLAYERS!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

It will only hurt you had the GM said otherwise. It's all about leverage and saying anything else than they already said will hurt leverage in a big way. No need to act desperate. Ship him off to the highest bidder outside of the AFC East or the G-Men.

Veteran
    What I take away from this article was that the Jets floated the Revis trade idea out there before Idzik came aboard. That way is couldn't be tied to him and gave them the wiggle room to deny it.

It also tells me the Jets are not getting the calls or offers that justify trading him now. They are probably going to have him play the first quarter of the season, revalidate his value and push for an in season trade before the deadline. Look for a week 4-6 trade.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Thank GOD! This is the first positive thing we`ve heard so far from the new group running things hear. but that statement alone makes me feel better about this teams future!

In other words no one is dumb enough to give us a 1st and 2nd so we are keeping him.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyan66 View Post
    What I take away from this article was that the Jets floated the Revis trade idea out there before Idzik came aboard. That way is couldn't be tied to him and gave them the wiggle room to deny it.

It also tells me the Jets are not getting the calls or offers that justify trading him now. They are probably going to have him play the first quarter of the season, revalidate his value and push for an in season trade before the deadline. Look for a week 4-6 trade.
    The Jets will get less the longer D Revis remains on the roster. ( if he not moved by training camp forget it, as you better off just letting him finish this year as a Jet) You try to trade him 4-6 weeks in how are you getting more, when he looking at unrestricted Fa in 2014.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm sure we all want Revis to remain a Jet.

But not for $16 million a year.

Idzik just came from a front office that found guys like Sherman, Chancellor, and Browner either in the late rounds of the draft or picked them off the street.

I seriously doubt that he considers it smart to give a CB franchise, Superbowl winning QB dollars.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    The Jets will get less the longer D Revis remains on the roster. ( if he not moved by training camp forget it, as you better off just letting him finish this year as a Jet) You try to trade him 4-6 weeks in how are you getting more, when he looking at unrestricted Fa in 2014.
    Iím not saying itís a guarantee, but they are probably being low balled like crazy. The primary given reason is most likely the questions surrounding his knee. Once he proves that is no longer an issue, which will take some time for him to prove, they can test the waters and see if that is really the hold up.

There is one primary reason why a team would trade for him even though heís headed for free agency Ė exclusivity. Letís use the Broncos for illustrative purpose. They may feel they have a window with Manning and need some help with their secondary. You can approach the jets for permission during the season to talk to Revis after he has proved his health in a few games. They could agree to terms on an extension before an actual trade. Once thatís done, the Jets have a little more leverage to bump up the asking price. Not a whole lot, but maybe instead of a 2nd & 5th, you could get a 2nd & 3rd. The fact is there is no way we are getting a 1st. That doesn't mean we should let him walk for nothing.

Trade Cromartie to make room to pay Revis, his stock will never be higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    I disagree. Right now teams arent sure about how Revis will respond coming off ACL injury, if in fact he does start the season right where he left off his value is surely higher than it is now. Also teams like Denver, giants, ect are convincing themselves that their poor db play will improve next year. Just like some here are believe Sanchez will turn it around. But when reality sets in when the season starts and this good teams are losing games just because 1 bad guy in the secondary, teams will panic and will be desperate for Revis.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by drsamuel84 View Post
    Good call, agree

For whatever it's worth, I came away from the presser thinking the Jets really would prefer to resign Revis -- even knowing what they know about his asking price.

I have mixed feelings. A lot of us thought the Harris contract was great at the time.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm not against this. Buy low, sell high.

What do you think Cro could get us? A late 1st?

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I'm not against this. Buy low, sell high.

What do you think Cro could get us? A late 1st?
    Probably a 2nd

Banned
    Very true. And not a bad idea.

But Revis still needs to calm down with his demands. No CB is worth the same price as a franchise QB....not even him. More so because he is coming off an ACL tear.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    I disagree. Right now teams arent sure about how Revis will respond coming off ACL injury, if in fact he does start the season right where he left off his value is surely higher than it is now. Also teams like Denver, giants, ect are convincing themselves that their poor db play will improve next year. Just like some here are believe Sanchez will turn it around. But when reality sets in when the season starts and this good teams are losing games just because 1 bad guy in the secondary, teams will panic and will be desperate for Revis.
    Jmo I don't think Revis injury plays as much into the equation as your making it. It more the salary it will cost for CB that wants QB money , and what you have to give up to get player. Most teams who might be interested rather wait till it only evolves cash and not picks also-2014.

I diasagree about the Giants( their money invested in Dline and they are paying a franchise Qb price or Denver as sooner or later they are going to have to take care off Von Miller.( which won't be cheap) I think the Broncos like most teams rather put their money in maybe two cb's than one great one.

I think it going to be very hard to move Revis and I see at most one pick coming back to the Jets In a Revis trade.( just not as value able commodity as his talent indicates what he should bring back). For that reason the Jets might just keep him in 2013.(tough to sell one pick for Revis)