Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: idzik wants revis to remain a jet.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    A team that has Sanchez/Tebow as QB1 and QB2 on their roster has more pressing needs than resigning a CB at $16m/annum.

Its like driving your brand new Porsche Panamera and parking it in front of your trailer home.

First you take care of the vital things then splurge for luxuries.

The NFL is however a business and Revis is an asset that has value until the contract expires ……then Revis transforms from being an asset to a mercenary.

Our team needs to treat him like the merc that he is (bring back a healthy bounty)
    That said, Revis is the best defensive corner that I have ever seen.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GangGreenAFFLICTION View Post
    A team that has Sanchez/Tebow as QB1 and QB2 on their roster has more pressing needs than resigning a CB at $16m/annum.

Its like driving your brand new Porsche Panamera and parking it in front of your trailer home.

The NFL is however a business and Revis is an asset that has value until the contract expires ……then Revis transforms from being an asset to a mercenary.

Our team needs to treat him like the merc that he is (bring back a healthy bounty)
    Yes great analogy! There are so many pro's and con's on this Revis thing. That's why they pay the big boys to figure it out and hopefully Idzy will fix things for years to come with the Jets. I personally would hate to see them lose Revis but on the other hand he hasn't won them any Championships and he won't without the offense improving dramatically. Bottom line is if they can get the players they need to improve the offense and still keep Revis than go for it. If not than they need to move him because he is a luxury at this point. It is most likely a matter of timing until we know what will take place and I am sure they need to make sure he is 100% before any decision is made whatsoever.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I this article is great news. IMO, it would be pure stupidity to trade Darrelle Revis. That's like trading Peyton Manning in his prime just because he suffered an injury and wants more money. Guys like Revis that are as good as Revis should never be traded. They are the final piece in the SB puzzle.

So long as we have Revis on our team, we'll never be more than a few seasons away from a SB. The guy is simply a game changer.

My hope is that the Jets can work out a long term deal for Revis. I want him to remain on this team until the day he retires.

And the knee injury? I'm sure there are plenty of you dingbats that want to think it is a big issue. That's just because you aren't intelligent to realize the kind of player Revis is. He'll be back better than ever this season and you can bank on it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I this article is great news. IMO, it would be pure stupidity to trade Darrelle Revis. That's like trading Peyton Manning in his prime just because he suffered an injury and wants more money. Guys like Revis that are as good as Revis should never be traded. They are the final piece in the SB puzzle.

So long as we have Revis on our team, we'll never be more than a few seasons away from a SB. The guy is simply a game changer.

My hope is that the Jets can work out a long term deal for Revis. I want him to remain on this team until the day he retires.

And the knee injury? I'm sure there are plenty of you dingbats that want to think it is a big issue. That's just because you aren't intelligent to realize the kind of player Revis is. He'll be back better than ever this season and you can bank on it.
    I don't think there is a Jetfan that wouldn't want Revis to remain a Jet but to put him relative to a HOF QB makes no sense.. A QB and a CB are not now or ever will be of equal importance to a team..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    For whatever it's worth, I came away from the presser thinking the Jets really would prefer to resign Revis -- even knowing what they know about his asking price.

I have mixed feelings. A lot of us thought the Harris contract was great at the time.
    This is different. David Harris slipped in his play a little after getting the big money. However, Revis won't. Revis is the one guy that has always been consistently the very best at his position since 2009 with absolutely no waivering. Revis is worth top dollar, especially when you consider the Jets spent so foolishly on guys that never worked out. If you want to give top dollar to your playmakers, fine, that makes sense. That also seems to be the Jets mantra. But give the big money to guys that you know will never let their play suffer.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GangGreenAFFLICTION View Post

It's not like we aren't paying a QB because we have Revis.

If we drafted one this year (which I doubt) he would be under a manageable rookie contract for at least 3 years before re doing his deal. Revis would be 3 years into his extension, and Revis' deal could be re worked if needed at that time.

If we drafted a stud QB next year, Revis would be 4 years into his new deal. Paying an elite player isn't what got the Jets into a mess. It's playing above average to good players elite money that got them into trouble.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I don't think there is a Jetfan that wouldn't want Revis to remain a Jet but to put him relative to a HOF QB makes no sense.. A QB and a CB are not now or ever will be of equal importance to a team..
    Well then Savage, let me ask you something...

Are there other teams in the league that would pay Darrelle Revis what he wants or more than you think he should get and win a SB?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Well then Savage, let me ask you something...

Are there other teams in the league that would pay Darrelle Revis what he wants or more than you think he should get and win a SB?
    Teams have been winning Bowls without Revis since they have had Super Bowls.. The Pats won one with W/R Troy Brown playing DB.. The most important player on the team is the QB not the CB period.. We will see what teams offer for Revis but I wouldn't be surprised to see him play out 2013 on the Jets and test the market as a FA in 2014..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Teams have been winning Bowls without Revis since they have had Super Bowls.. The Pats won one with W/R Troy Brown playing DB.. The most important player on the team is the QB not the CB period.. We will see what teams offer for Revis but I wouldn't be surprised to see him play out 2013 on the Jets and test the market as a FA in 2014..
    That's not answering the question. The answer is yes or no, not some nonsense about what you think he will do in 2013.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    That's not answering the question. The answer is yes or no, not some nonsense about what you think he will do in 2013.
    How can I answer yes or no when I don't know what other teams would offer him?? Do I think he'll get 16 million? No..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL

That's the goofiest analogy I've ever heard.

You can make a legit argument for Peyton Manning being one of the Top 2 or 3 QB's in the history of the game.

The guy has won a Superbowl, broken countless records, and accounts for over 30 TD's a season.

Revis is a f*cking CB who even on his best day is still only taking away your #1 receiver.

If Revis was willing to sign for $12-13 million per, I'd say lock him up yesterday. But all of this talk of "pay Revis whatever he wants" is beyond retarded.

Yeah, who cares about fixing this abortion of an offense and putting points on the board as long as we can watch Revis run step for step with the opposing teams #1 receiver every week.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's like saying that dion Sanders was more important than Steve Young or Troy Aikman pure stupidity.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I'm not against this. Buy low, sell high.

What do you think Cro could get us? A late 1st?
    I'd say a 2nd or maybe a 3rd plus a conditional mid round pick next year.....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    LOL

That's the goofiest analogy I've ever heard.

You can make a legit argument for Peyton Manning being one of the Top 2 or 3 QB's in the history of the game.

The guy has won a Superbowl, broken countless records, and accounts for over 30 TD's a season.

Revis is a f*cking CB who even on his best day is still only taking away your #1 receiver.

If Revis was willing to sign for $12-13 million per, I'd say lock him up yesterday. But all of this talk of "pay Revis whatever he wants" is beyond retarded.

Yeah, who cares about fixing this abortion of an offense and putting points on the board as long as we can watch Revis run step for step with the opposing teams #1 receiver every week.
    You are completely full of SH*T. You call it a goofy analogy ONLY because you want to lessen the value of a CB. Really depends on what your line of thinking is when building a SB champion. You think CB's are expendable. I think that makes you a dingbat that obviously doesn't watch Jets football.

And don't lessen, even for a second, what Darrelle Revis is. He's the best CB in the game today and will likely go down as the second best or best CB to have ever played the game. He creates a numbers mismatch on the field on every single play the defense is on the field. Mario Williams doesn't do that. Jason Pierre Paul doesn't do that. JJ Watt doesn't do that. Not on every single play at least. You never have to give him Safety help over the top. Just put him on an island with the opponents best receiver and forget about it.

CB along with QB, WR, LT, and LB/DE are the most important positions when building a football team IMO. You act as though QB should be 75 million per season of a 122 million dollar salary cap. That's dumb. There is more than enough money to go around under the cap to pay your players what they are worth and still win the SB.

And you're an idiot for thinking we'll never have an offense so long as Revis is making top dollar. You just want to b*tch about what he could potentially make.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    How can I answer yes or no when I don't know what other teams would offer him?? Do I think he'll get 16 million? No..
    Way to side step the question genius. Knowing that every other f*cking team in the league would LOVE to have Darrelle Revis on their team kind of makes the answer rather obvious.

Answer the f*cking question. YES or NO??????????????????

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aside from Key Johnson....how many players have the Jets got rid of and then went on the win a superbowl? Where is the history? Can you be more specific.....Keyshawn had to go...he was more of a cancer than anything else with his attitude. If we do trade Revis, I expect it to be a fair trade. The bottom line is Revis has to be realistic...as good as he is, he cannot garner the idiotic money Mario Williams got paid by the Bills. This is still a buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    Jets have a history of trading away their best players (who then go win Superbowls)...Keyshawn Johnson (we still haven't replaced). If the Jets trade Revis, they better get a starting lineman and a 1st round pick. Revis will go on to win a Superbowl and the Jets will never replace him. KEEP YOUR STUD PLAYERS!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets defense proved in 2012 that they can actually survive without Revis....he is coming off an injury and the clause in his contract forbids him from holding out in 2013.....I like Revis but if he wants a kings ransom then part ways with him. I am getting the vibes from the Jets that this is excatly how they are thinking...hence the talks about possibly trading him.

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    It will only hurt you had the GM said otherwise. It's all about leverage and saying anything else than they already said will hurt leverage in a big way. No need to act desperate. Ship him off to the highest bidder outside of the AFC East or the G-Men.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ran track in college....I blew my ACL in BOTH knees while serving as a paratrooper in the Army....I am now 45 years old...6'0 220 lbs and I am running a 4.6 40....a far cry from my 4.4 college days but it's just about your rehab and being an athlete....those who talk about the injury need to realize that his was not career threatening.....the man will be back and as good as ever.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Way to side step the question genius. Knowing that every other f*cking team in the league would LOVE to have Darrelle Revis on their team kind of makes the answer rather obvious.

Answer the f*cking question. YES or NO??????????????????
    Yes, every team would love to have Revis, but at what cost? Not every team wants Revis at 17 million a year. You can not ignore the financials when discussing players.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    The Jets defense proved in 2012 that they can actually survive without Revis....he is coming off an injury and the clause in his contract forbids him from holding out in 2013.....I like Revis but if he wants a kings ransom then part ways with him. I am getting the vibes from the Jets that this is excatly how they are thinking...hence the talks about possibly trading him.
    My biggest concern is Revis walks after this season, and we only get a 3rd round pick for him. Does anyone how his contract works, I know we cant franchise him but what about the transition tag, can we use that which would allow us to at least match any offer he gets ?