Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Combine Thread, Saturday 2/23 - TE/OL/STs

Hall Of Fame

NFL Combine Thread, Saturday 2/23 - TE/OL/STs

Today is the first day they are televising workouts. I figured we can keep things organized and avoid creating a thread every time a prospect does something impressive or unimpressive.

Coverage starts @ 9am on NFLN.

Who are you guys looking forward to watching?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Today is the first day they are televising workouts. I figured we can keep things organized and avoid creating a thread every time a prospect does something impressive or unimpressive.

I was browsing on the Jets site and came across Tebow's cone drill..

3-Cone Drill Tim Tebow 6.66 ..Hmmm interesting..

Really looking forward to the final three days, but there's still some intriguing products today. Going with the notion that our K, P, OT's and C's are basically set in stone for next season, I'll be focusing on the Guards and Tight Ends.

At Guard of course there's Chance Warmack and Jonathan Cooper, but there's also Larry Warford, Dallas Thomas and all around OL Barrett Jones, and my two "sleepers" in Garrett Gilkey and Omoregie Uzzi.

At Tight End Kelce isn't working out which is a bummer, and everyone knows about Zach Ertz and Tyler Eifert, but I'm interested in seeing Gavin Escobar, Jordan Reed, Michael Williams and Nick Kasa.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Really looking forward to the final three days, but there's still some intriguing products today. Going with the notion that our K, P, OT's and C's are basically set in stone for next season, I'll be focusing on the Guards and Tight Ends.

At Guard of course there's Chance Warmack and Jonathan Cooper, but there's also Larry Warford, Dallas Thomas and all around OL Barrett Jones, and my two "sleepers" in Garrett Gilkey and Omoregie Uzzi.

At Tight End Kelce isn't working out which is a bummer, and everyone knows about Zach Ertz and Tyler Eifert, but I'm interested in seeing Gavin Escobar, Jordan Reed, Michael Williams and Nick Kasa.
    Reed is very small and had terrible numbers on the bench, i think he is more of an Hback type guy.

The guy i want to keep an eye on is chris pantele from BC.

Guy is 6'5 255, not gonna be a fast receiver like eifert, but he will be a very good blocker, has good hands (both catching and overall hand size) and is a 6th round area guy due to poor numbers, but was injured and played for multiple different OCs.

I think he could be a great find in the late rounds with a skill set to be an every down TE

Hall Of Fame
    Thanks for the info. I will be looking out for those guys.

I wonder if Warmack works out today. I know he didn't bench yesterday b.c he has a finger injury.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Reed is very small and had terrible numbers on the bench, i think he is more of an Hback type guy.

The guy i want to keep an eye on is chris pantele from BC.

Guy is 6'5 255, not gonna be a fast receiver like eifert, but he will be a very good blocker, has good hands (both catching and overall hand size) and is a 6th round area guy due to poor numbers, but was injured and played for multiple different OCs.

I think he could be a great find in the late rounds with a skill set to be an every down TE
    I forgot to mention another late round TE prospect before: Philip Lutzenkirchen. Similar to Pantele in that he was injured last season and played for a rotating string of crap QB's.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

I forgot all about it. Thanks for reminding me.

Wholly Crap!! OL Armstead just ran a 40 in 4.65 Dang!!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by george jetfan from miami View Post
    Unbelievable. I'd move him to 3-4 DE

This is going to be a great draft for OL. But I think that mainly applies to the first two rounds or so. If you are in the market for OL and pick wisely you can end up with a top-ranked line for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by george jetfan from miami View Post
    But can he block anyone?

Edit:

OT---6'5" 310

STRENGTHS: Remarkable athlete. Lines up at left tackle but has the athleticism to consider as a tackle-eligible pass-catcher. Good burst off the snap and accelerates quickly, making him an ideal fit in a zone-blocking offense which requires blocking on the move and releasing to the second level. Flashes great explosiveness with a powerful initial pop to the defender. Good balance. Plays on the balls of his feet and his knees bent, showing the ability to adjust to oncoming pass rushers and mirroring them throughout the play. Very intelligent. An Industrial Technology (IT) major who will graduate this summer.

WEAKNESSES: A better athlete than football player, at this time. Possesses excellent speed but too often gets to the second level only to lose sight of his target. Provides an explosive pop but needs to improve his upper body and hand strength to latch on and sustain his blocks. Does not do a good enough job of finishing blocks at the SWAC level. Struggled a bit anchoring against powerful rushers at the East-West and Senior Bowl. Possesses obvious upside but might need a year in the weight room to compete at the NFL level.

Compares to: Joe Staley, OT, San Francisco 49ers -- Savvy scouts had been watching Staley dominate the MAC for years but he didn't really begin earning national attention until a strong effort at the Senior Bowl and dazzling workout at the 2007 Combine. Should Armstead commit to the game with the intensity that Staley has, he too could wind up emerging as an upper-echelon blindside tackle in the NFL.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1767688

Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris
    The issue w/ Terron Armstead on tape is that his hands weren't always firm on first contact. Lost occasionally there. Did much better at EW.
    Last edited by C Mart; 02-23-2013 at 09:29 AM.

2013 Combine Preview

Thursday, February 21, 2013

The importance of the NFL Combine has recently shifted in the public's eye. Once viewed as a crucial piece of the evaluation process, it is now more of a media spectacle. The significance lies in the eye of the beholder, of course. In the NFL, teams value test results and measurements differently. What happens behind closed doors might impact prospects' draft value more than any stopwatch.

Honestly, I enjoy the event for what it is. Entertainment that puts prospects on an even playing field. The goal is always to see what was expected based on tape evaluation. If something looks off, then don’t immediately change the grade. Instead go back and look at the game film or chalk it up to working with professional trainers over the last few weeks.

Before breaking down specific sections of the Combine, let me touch on an idea that could prove important during on-field tests. When watching prospects’ game action, an evaluation takes athletic upside into account if it is a noticeable trait. Therefore, any notable times, repetitions, or numbers should be expected, not counted again as an extra positive. It is putting a score to that athletic upside, not adding to the evaluation. It was already there.

All-Important Interviews

NFL front office personnel arrive in Indianapolis armed with thorough background information on every prospect courtesy of college coaches and trainers. Participants with histories of off-field issues must understand this and be truthful during interviews. No one needs to be more honest and unscripted this week than Notre Dame’s Manti Te’o. It has been reported that the Irish linebacker has prepared for the difficult questions he will face just as much as the onfield drills he will participate in. Don’t expect a shining performance in the latter.

One method is to put players, especially quarterbacks, in front of a whiteboard. Teams present a situation or play versus a certain look and ask prospects to regurgitate information on a clean slate. Since many of this year’s signal callers are seniors, most of them have already been introduced to the interview process. Tyler Bray, who I will certainly mention later, needs to ace this section after admitting to lazy habits on and off the field throughout his collegiate career.

As previously stated, many seniors completed interviews at postseason all-star games, but the Combine is an underclassman's first exposure to NFL questioning. This year's obvious question mark is Georgia LB Alec Ogletree, who has three off-field red flags to his name, the last occurring just a few weeks ago in the form of a DUI. The consensus mindset appears to be that Ogletree is too talented to fall out of the first-round, and we like him best as a weakside linebacker behind a four man front.

Other cases include former LSU DB Tyrann Mathieu, who was on the path to returning to the football program before his most recent drug related run-in with police, Tennessee Tech WR Da’Rick Rogers, who transferred to an FCS program after multiple failed drug tests, and Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson, who only spent one season at the FBS level, leading some to question if he can handle an NFL playbook.

Medical Checks

Teams give prospects do-not-draft grades for extensive medical history just as they do for character concerns. The majority of clubs bring medical staffs to poke and prod players, putting each through a physical before taking the field. The relationship between the decision maker and lead medical trainer must be built on trust and understanding. The last thing a General Manager wants is to waste a draft pick on a player that will rarely practice. Obviously Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones will be a hot name in this category (spinal stenosis), along with Cincinnati OLB Walter Stewart (spine), FSU DE Cornelius Carradine (ACL), and Oregon OLB Dion Jordan (shoulder).

Speed Kills

General opinion has Tennessee’s Cordarrelle Patterson, Cal’s Keenan Allen, Clemson’s DeAndre Hopkins, and West Virginia’s Tavon Austin in some order as the 2013 draft's top four wide receivers. Disagreements are common, but in some ways I still think receivers are linked to a stopwatch, and it shows in terms of burst, quickness, and straight-line speed. "Play speed" is most important, of course, but from watching their games In terms of play speed, Austin is the quickest of the bunch and likely would keep that title when surveying the entire class. Patterson’s speed is tough to pinpoint, because his movements and strides are so smooth, but we would expect a good time. Hopkins’ long speed is overlooked, but that is not what his game is based on. Allen will not be working out, but his game is built on quickness and precision more than speed.

Without pads, Indianapolis can turn into a glorified track meet. But it's always entertaining to see whether the top long-speed performers are the ones who can actually play. Texas WR Marquise Goodwin, Baylor WR Terrance Williams, Oregon State WR Markus Wheaton, Oregon RB Kenjon Barner, SE Louisiana CB Robert Alford and USC CB Nickell Robey are all in the running for the top spot in speed tests.

Short-Area Quickness

When looking for drills whose top performers tend to have the best future success for specific position groups, the 20-yard shuttle stood out for offensive linemen.

Though it fails to account for upper-body strength and skills, the 20-yard shuttle effectively showcases which offensive linemen have an ability to bend, plant, and burst quickly in their lower body as well as move in open space. This is important because nimble linemen can react and redirect against quick-twitch pass rushers. Since 2006, Eagles C Jason Kelce, Raiders C Samson Satele, Panthers C Ryan Kalil, Patriots OT Nate Solder, Jets C Nick Mangold, and Colts OT Anthony Castonzo make up six of the top seven clocked times in the 20-yard shuttle.

More than previous years, we should see some ridiculous numbers posted by prospects not considered among the skill positions. Two offensive linemen, Florida State T Menelik Watson and Oklahoma T Lane Johnson, should shine in multiple areas, including the 20-yard shuttle. Johnson is one of the three best left tackle prospects and is still growing into his frame. Watson could put on a Bruce Campbell style workout, but his tape is much better. Don’t overlook Ohio State’s Reid Fragel, Arkansas-Pine Bluff’s Terron Armstead, Oregon’s Kyle Long, and UNC’s Jonathan Cooper.

Much is made of a pass rusher's initial upfield get-off, but an ability to plant and quickly change direction can be equally effective. The 3-cone drill puts different types of pass rushers on an equal playing field. Since 2006, pass rushers like Cardinals OLB Sam Acho, Seahawks DE Bruce Irvin, Chargers OLB Melvin Ingram, Texans OLB Connor Barwin, Texans DE J.J. Watt, and Vikings DE Brian Robison make up the majority of the top eight 3-cone times with Lions DE Cliff Avril directly behind. In this class, Oregon OLB Dion Jordan, UConn LB Sio Moore, and LSU DE/OLB Barkevious Mingo could add to that list.

I’m not sure exactly where he will test well, but BYU DL/OLB Ezekiel Ansah needs to be mentioned. Once in space, his closing speed is the best in this class among pass rushers. Since he was moved around the defensive formation throughout his time in college, teams are still deciding where they project the inexperienced pass rusher. He is one of our favorites and only needs to learn how to create separation and shed when attacking upfield.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cf...ombine-preview

Yea speed isn't everything but it's just amazing how fast a big guy can run! I am sure he will be drafted just based on his Athletic ability and size. Some of these OL guys look like beasts. I hope the Jets can land one or two of them for the future

Damien Woody ‏@damienwoody
    This dude Cooper would look good btw Nick & Brick

Hall Of Fame
    I'm beginning to think that both Warmack and Fisher will be gone by the time we pick.

Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt
    Note to keep in mind about Combine importance: goal for players is to peak on Draft boards in late April, not late February.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    This dude Cooper would look good btw Nick & Brick
    He would. And it might be process of elimination at that point.

NFL Network ‏@nflnetwork
    Mayock says OL D.J. Fluker has 'average to below-average feet.'

OMG what happened to Brian Winters? 9 reps he just killed his chances. Looks like a good year for power OL. Aboushi, Fluker, and Wagner are the only ones that came up a little short of what I'd would like to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    OMG what happened to Brian Winters? 9 reps he just killed his chances. Looks like a good year for power OL. Aboushi, Fluker, and Wagner are the only ones that came up a little short of what I'd would like to see.

Kent State offensive lineman Brian Winters had nine reps on the bench Friday because of cramps. Winters told news reporters he didn't suffer a major injury and expects to bench-press at his pro day next month.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...-lott/1940241/

INDIANAPOLIS — As word started to spread through the NFL scouting combine that Rutgers tight end D.C. Jefferson did only three repetitions on the bench press, many were amused.

Jefferson isn't. He might have suffered a serious injury.

Jefferson was at a hospital early Friday evening to have his pectoral muscle examined, his agent, Andy Simms, told USA TODAY Sports. Simms said Jefferson, a projected late-round pick, might have torn the muscle.

According to Simms, Jefferson had been bench-pressing the required 225 pounds more than 20 times during training and expected to do the same at the combine. The injury, which Simms believed to have occurred on Jefferson's second rep, stopped him well short of that goal.

Kent State offensive lineman Brian Winters had nine reps on the bench Friday because of cramps. Winters told news reporters he didn't suffer a major injury and expects to bench-press at his pro day next month.

Last year, ProFootballTalk.com reported a few agents were upset with Arizona Cardinals strength coach John Lott for pushing the players too hard while spotting them during the bench press. Iowa tackle Markus Zusevics tore his pectoral muscle during the bench press and went undrafted.

Lott is not at the combine this year, ending his 16-year streak of serving as the bench-press spotter. The Cardinals said he was staying in Arizona to work with their players who are rehabbing.

Give me a guy w/ high football IQ....won't bust assignments & will play faster than most

I believe, as a group, OL score highest on the wonderlic...