Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: People with guns again.

Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    But he didn't did he? Guns are a lot like the Internet, both making people feel tougher than they are, god forbid they would actually get their hands dirty.
    There are stories all the time about neighbors poisoning, drowning, fill-in-the-blanks, other neighbors dogs. The fact its a gun that was used, to me, means little.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    There are stories all the time about neighbors poisoning, drowning, fill-in-the-blanks, other neighbors dogs. The fact its a gun that was used, to me, means little.
    Firearms is the hot button issue right now. Anything to do with firearms that remotely makes guns look like the devil is on the front pages.

Firearms will never cease to exist, or will never be banned in this country. One of the reasons people whine so much is because it will never happen. In certain states, perhaps to a degree, but there is no way someone can't drive across state lines, purchase a rifle, drive back and do whatever they want with it.

Having said that, you don't need firearms to kill dogs. These people who are sick will find a way to be sick.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    These people who are sick will find a way to be sick.
    Thats whats frustrating about the whining. People who want to do sick things will do sick things. People who are sick will do sick things, even if you made every gun disappear. Where theres a will and an impulse, theres a way. We should stop wasting time tilting at windmills and start addressing root causes.

Causes, plural.

Thats whats frustrating about the whining. People who want to do sick things will do sick things. People who are sick will do sick things, even if you made every gun disappear. Where theres a will and an impulse, theres a way. We should stop wasting time tilting at windmills and start addressing root causes.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

This is true, and why I think railing against a guy who killed a dog he didn't need to kill with a shotgun is counter-productive. But I do think that minimizing the damage these loonies can inflict with bans or at least greater hurdles to large magazines, hand guns, etc. is just common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    This is true, and why I think railing against a guy who killed a dog he didn't need to kill with a shotgun is counter-productive. But I do think that minimizing the damage these loonies can inflict with bans or at least greater hurdles to large magazines, hand guns, etc. is just common sense.
    Gun owners need to be better educated and trained.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Gun owners need to be better educated and trained.
    While I think that a shotgun is the perfect home-intrusion defense, I do think that there should be some training required, and some kind of a permitting system. Not as stringent ad handguns, probably, but something. There are far less lethal things that we require testing/registration for.

While I think that a shotgun is the perfect home-intrusion defense, I do think that there should be some training required, and some kind of a permitting system. Not as stringent ad handguns, probably, but something. There are far less lethal things that we require testing/registration for.
    I used this article as an example of how easy people feel justified to fire a weapon. Someone's house was directly behind the dogs he shot and killed.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I used this article as an example of how easy people feel justified to fire a weapon. Someone's house was directly behind the dogs he shot and killed.
    I'm all for stricter gun control, but IMO, this guy is not an example in defense of that. Plenty of idiots speed up in a car when approaching animals, that doesn't mean we ban cars. Besides, I thought this guy had livestock, how close can his neighbors be?

I'm all for stricter gun control, but IMO, this guy is not an example in defense of that. Plenty of idiots speed up in a car when approaching animals, that doesn't mean we ban cars. Besides, I thought this guy had livestock, how close can his neighbors be?
    It was in a suburb of Philly not Montana. They shooter worked for Fed Ex and the neighbors house was directly behind one of the dogs being shot and killed.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

It was in a suburb of Philly not Montana. They shooter worked for Fed Ex and the neighbors house was directly behind one of the dogs being shot and killed.
    OK, so I read the whole article now.

The guy is crazy. He didn't need to kill the dogs. He could have scared them off, without the gun.

The dog owners are negligent as well. If the neighbor had a right to farm sheep, and you've got mountain dogs (just a guess here, but I'm thinking that 'bermese mountain dog' or whatever that breed was is probably not simpatico with sheep, probably a herding dog, it at least a working dog, and large), you keep them away.

Also: he had buckshot in his gun. He's got sheep, so even though he's in the suburbs, he's not likely on a 1/4 acre. So while he was certainly not acting safely, let's not overstate the risk to those inside the house.

Look me up. I'm on your side when it comes to gun control, right up to now. This is not a good example.