Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Miles Austin to Possibly Be Released by End of Week

Miles Austin to Possibly Be Released by End of Week

Per Adam Schefter

He just announced on NFL Network, at the NFL Combine, that the Dallas Cowboys will possibly release Miles Austin to free up cap space.

Should we take a chance on a receiver like this? Dude seems to be a team player, i would take a shot on him if the price was right.

Hall Of Fame
    Good article about Austin's contract.

Dallas signed Miles Austin to a terrible contract worth $54.1 million dollars back in 2010 with just over $17 million in guarantees off of one season of high level play where his receiving yards spiked to 1320 received yards. Austin never has come close to approaching those numbers again and it is really no surprise. Part of the reason Dallas signed Austin to this contract was due to the uncapped year in which they thought they could outsmart the system by dumping $17.078 million dollars into the 2010 season. That would eliminate all of the guarantees in the contract and give Dallas the chance to cut him free and clear in the future.
    But once the cap returned in 2011 and Dallas found themselves in a pinch they converted base salary into a signing bonus and thus added dead money into Austinís contract. The Cowboys were then handed a large cap penalty for their treatment of this contract by the NFL which they are still paying of this season. Dallas had never given a contractual structure to a player before like they had given to Austin and clearly were using the uncapped season in a manner not normal for their team. The fact that they turned around and converted salary into a prorated bonus the following year was just more evidence pointing to the Cowboys though process as it pertained to this contract.
    Due to the decision to prorate his money, cutting Austin will now cost the Cowboys $4.713 million in dead money. This represents $3.59 million in cap savings over his current cap number, the largest savings on the team. Dallas is currently well over the salary cap with little room to maneuver. They are one of the most poorly run franchises in the NFL in terms of cap management often overpaying players to become Cowboys and leaving them little leverage to renegotiate deals downwards for cap relief. The Austin deal looks even worse when you consider that they had invested so much into Roy Williams in 2008, an epic failure at the same position, and learned nothing from that situation. Slowly but surely the Cowboys are turning into the Oakland Raiders of the last decade when it comes to cap management.

All League
    Price won't be right unfortunately. The only WR we will be able to afford is Edwards, Austin will get a decent 3-4 million per deal from someone.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    Price won't be right unfortunately. The only WR we will be able to afford is Edwards, Austin will get a decent 3-4 million per deal from someone.
    3MM would be a steal for Austin. He is a solid WR. Wish we could dump Holmes, keep Edwards & sign Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sexi Rexi View Post
    3MM would be a steal for Austin. He is a solid WR. Wish we could dump Holmes, keep Edwards & sign Austin.
    We would get back $1.25M if we got rid of Holmes, but I don't see us doing it for Austin.

Can he play QB ???

Jets Insider VIP
    As a RFA that Jets offered the Cowboys the 2nd RD tendered pick. That was the year that Austin BLEW UP for Dallas. They saw something in him early on, but how would he fit in with our situation? Call me crazy, but I'd rather have Braylon over Austin going forward.

As a Monmouth U alum I'd love to see Miles back in NJ with the Jets.

Exclamation

Miles is a Jersey guy if I'm not mistaken?

Jets Insider VIP
    Which part of "we have no money" do you people not understand?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern 80 View Post
    As a RFA that Jets offered the Cowboys the 2nd RD tendered pick. That was the year that Austin BLEW UP for Dallas. They saw something in him early on, but how would he fit in with our situation? Call me crazy, but I'd rather have Braylon over Austin going forward.
    are you serious? you'd rather have Edwards over Austin? you're nuts. if we could afford him i'd take him. Holmes/Austin/Kerley/Hill looks good.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Which part of "we have no money" do you people not understand?
    The Jets can get some guys to restructure so that'll help the situation and allow the signing of players.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    are you serious? you'd rather have Edwards over Austin? you're nuts. if we could afford him i'd take him. Holmes/Austin/Kerley/Hill looks good.
    looks even better if you switch tone and edwards...but yeah i would take austin over edwards every day of the week and twice on sunday.

He is always hurt!!!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern 80 View Post
    You're crazy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Austin cant stay on the field. No chance we sign him.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Austin cant stay on the field. No chance we sign him.
    your predictions and projections are oft wrong....so maybe we will?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Oofus View Post
    The Jets can get some guys to restructure so that'll help the situation and allow the signing of players.
    Restructuring a bunch of contracts and trying to build this team through FA is a big part of the reason we're in this mess.

Stop chasing these "names" and build through the draft for f*ck sake.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TebowCan'tThrow View Post
    He is always hurt!!!
    Hamstring issues all the time. I live out here, they talk about it on the radio a lot. Pass.

We're not gonna be signing any names, guys. It's gonna be rookies and jag city for the Jets in 2013.