Thread: Stud left tackle?

Stud left tackle?

If a stud left tackle falls to you at 9 would it be crazy to trade Dbrick for picks?
    Dbrick has been a very good pass protector but we rarely run to the left because he doesn't get great push in the running game.
    We are in a 2-3 year rebuild, and left tackles are at a premium.

I know it sounds nuts but I'm sure there would be a lot of teams in a Dbrick market.
    Jets need a lot of picks, to rebuild this roster. Just a thought if a can't miss LT falls in your lap.
    You Get younger & you accumulate more draft picks.
    What say ye? Slam away.

Jets Insider VIP
    It doesn't make sense to select a LT at #9, seeing LT is NOT one of our major needs. We need to draft an IMPACT player who can contribute IMMEDIATELY. Especially one that fits what we have on our roster right now. Powell/McKnight at RB, QB, SS are more pressing and should be addressed first and foremost.

Hall Of Fame
    No. We wouldn't trade Brick. We would draft the kid and make him a RT.

RT is almost as important as LT now.

All Pro
    Trade a proven, durable pro bowl LT in his prime for an unproven college LT and another pick?

Ummm what?

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern 80 View Post
    It doesn't make sense to select a LT at #9, seeing LT is NOT one of our major needs. We need to draft an IMPACT player who can contribute IMMEDIATELY. Especially one that fits what we have on our roster right now. Powell/McKnight at RB, QB, SS are more pressing and should be addressed first and foremost.
    My point is not that LT is a " need"
    It's that we could in essence replace our LT with a younger Stud for less money & get draft picks for Dbrick allowing us to get that RB, QB, or SS.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    My point is not that LT is a " need"
    It's that we could in essence replace our LT with a younger Stud for less money & get draft picks for Dbrick allowing us to get that RB, QB, or SS.
    This would not be a good idea. Draft the stud and move him to RT until Brick starts to fade then either switch them or move Brick to backup. I think it is smart to keep one of the best OLinemen on our team for as long as they play at that level.

All Pro

Ask yourself this question

After the QB, what position is the most important on a football team.

Now answer your Question.

There is only one worth a top 10 pick IMO and he is not falling to 9. Eric Fisher and Lane Johnson are both worth a 1st but I wouldn't call them studs.

Exclamation

The Jets could bolster the offensive line for sure and it would put whomever they have at QB in a better position to stay upright.

This is nuts. There is no stud LT available that could be guaranteed to be as good as Brick.

It is unnecessary not to mention foolhardy to create a problem where there is none to do some confusing trading just for the sake of looking "smart". Frivolous.

Rookie
    If an elite LT falls to us it would not be a horrible idea to take him. Let him start at RT and move Howard to OG. This solves a FA problem, upgrades the OL, and gives us rock solid OT's going forward. A stud LT at 9 is a cap friendly move, much more so than re-sign Moore for example.

This would be better for us than taking Warmack who I really like. An OG at 9 is cap neutral at best.

I don't think any pass rusher that falls to us would be a sure thing. This draft is deep on defense and we can find adequate LB's later in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    If an elite LT falls to us it would not be a horrible idea to take him. Let him start at RT and move Howard to OG. This solves a FA problem, upgrades the OL, and gives us rock solid OT's going forward. A stud LT at 9 is a cap friendly move, much more so than re-sign Moore for example.

This would be better for us than taking Warmack who I really like. An OG at 9 is cap neutral at best.

I don't think any pass rusher that falls to us would be a sure thing. This draft is deep on defense and we can find adequate LB's later in the draft.
    why dont we just trade down and draft a RT instead of moving a pro bowler to an unfamiliar position?

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    why dont we just trade down and draft a RT instead of moving a pro bowler to an unfamiliar position?
    Well I'd love to trade down and maybe we could if a stud player we don't need falls to us. Overall, with he strengths of this draft I just don't think we'll find a trading partner. If we do then fine, move down, otherwise, given OP's scenario my plan makes some sense.

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    Well I'd love to trade down and maybe we could if a stud player we don't need falls to us. Overall, with he strengths of this draft I just don't think we'll find a trading partner. If we do then fine, move down, otherwise, given OP's scenario my plan makes some sense.
    I was just offering up a scenario.
    Of course it would have to be fisher that drops to that spot. I actually think with the Jets sitting at 9, if a QB gets taken before our pick we may have the chance to trade down.
    The Jets need to maximize their picks in the 2nd & 3rd round this year to rebuild the trenches & get a RB.
    Anyone who saw any of the combine would see that this draft is loaded with Athletic Olineman perfect for the WCO.
    Makes me reconsider the idea of Warmack, I'd rather go Patterson & get the freakish skill position players this team needs to score "quickly".

If this scenario does happen then you look to move out of the spot.

The problem is, IMO the bears are the best candidates to trade with but moving down to 20 is difficult.

A more likely scneario is to see if SD wants to move up....that would only cost them a 4th rounder to go from 11 to 9.

One other interesting situation is with New Orleans who could lose their LT Jarod Bushrod to free agency. They are at 15 which would be a big risk as tennessee is in the market for a pass rusher, but more importantly NO doesnt have a second round pick to trade.

Definitely a good situation for us if fisher is there.

Jets Insider VIP
    LOL WHAT? And what exactly would we get for our reliable starting LT to make this worth it"?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    If a stud left tackle falls to you at 9 would it be crazy to trade Dbrick for picks?
    Dbrick has been a very good pass protector but we rarely run to the left because he doesn't get great push in the running game.
    We are in a 2-3 year rebuild, and left tackles are at a premium.

I know it sounds nuts but I'm sure there would be a lot of teams in a Dbrick market.
    Jets need a lot of picks, to rebuild this roster. Just a thought if a can't miss LT falls in your lap.
    You Get younger & you accumulate more draft picks.
    What say ye? Slam away.
    And move Brick to RT?

Wow crazy idea. Still, saw the heading and the first post and had to read the rest of the thread. Kudos for that.