Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gino Smith perhaps!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My issue with him is his reluctance to run with the ball. Was watching the Combine and they said that his coaches tried to get him to run the ball more and he was basically unwilling, I found that very odd. He ran a 4.5 40. They said he wants to be known as a pocket passer and not a running QB. But if you are mobile you should use that as part of your game. He might be too wrapped up in trying to avoid the black QB stereotype which is stupid b.c if you can do both that is a good thing.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    I wouldn't reach for any of the QBs this year. We have too many other holes to gamble in the first round.
    our holes are overrated and amplified by the Putrid Mark SUCKchez. He is in the bottom 3 starting qb's in the nfl. Ouir biggest need is QB not guard. Most of the sacks that we gave up last year was due to poor QB play not poor OL play. Sure we could use a OLB'er or two but QB simply cannot wait until next year.

If GENO Smith is on the board at 9 the Jets will not hesitate to grab him. A QB is more valuable than a damn guard and a pass-rusher.

Don't ge me wrong we could certainly use a top notch pass rusher like Jarvis Jones or Dion Jordan or Ansah but not at the expense of a QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    My issue with him is his reluctance to run with the ball. Was watching the Combine and they said that his coaches tried to get him to run the ball more and he was basically unwilling, I found that very odd. He ran a 4.5 40. They said he wants to be known as a pocket passer and not a running QB. But if you are mobile you should use that as part of your game. He might be too wrapped up in trying to avoid the black QB stereotype which is stupid b.c if you can do both that is a good thing.
    Maybe he doesn't want to end up like RGIII under the surgeons knife?
    RGIII will be a pocket passer now.
    When you run, you get hurt, especially in the NFL, ask Micheal Vick.
    Now if you run like Wilson in a prolong the play type of manner & throw or get the 1st slide down, than you survive.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Maybe he doesn't want to end up like RGIII under the surgeons knife?
    RGIII will be a pocket passer now.
    When you run, you get hurt, especially in the NFL, ask Micheal Vick.
    Now if you run like Wilson in a prolong the play type of manner & throw or get the 1st slide down, than you survive.
    That is what I mean. Being able to extend the play and scramble for a first down. I don't want a QB that we have designed running plays for. I want a pocket passer who is mobile.

Listening to what Mayock, Davis and Warner were saying it sounded like he had plenty of opportunities to pick up first downs with his legs and he did not. They said he coaches told him to run more and he still didn't do it. And part of the reason is he doesn't want to be lumped in with the running QBs. I just think that is stupid.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Diddy View Post
    our holes are overrated and amplified by the Putrid Mark SUCKchez. He is in the bottom 3 starting qb's in the nfl. Ouir biggest need is QB not guard. Most of the sacks that we gave up last year was due to poor QB play not poor OL play. Sure we could use a OLB'er or two but QB simply cannot wait until next year.

If GENO Smith is on the board at 9 the Jets will not hesitate to grab him. A QB is more valuable than a damn guard and a pass-rusher.

Don't ge me wrong we could certainly use a top notch pass rusher like Jarvis Jones or Dion Jordan or Ansah but not at the expense of a QB.
    Its easy to say a QB is more valuable than a guard, that is obvious, but if they reach for Geno and he doesn't pan out, it will hold us back for the next 3-5 years.

I would only want them to take Geno if they feel very strongly that he will be a good QB.

If not, it is best to take a guy like Warmack who is as close as you can get to being a sure-fire plus starter from Day 1.

Then, we can plug as many holes as we can on offense this year and next, and solve the QB situation next year in the draft. We're probably going to suck next year and be pretty high in the draft order, in a year where the QB class is supposed to be a lot better.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Metro_Irvin View Post
    Its easy to say a QB is more valuable than a guard, that is obvious, but if they reach for Geno and he doesn't pan out, it will hold us back for the next 3-5 years.

I would only want them to take Geno if they feel very strongly that he will be a good QB.

If not, it is best to take a guy like Warmack who is as close as you can get to being a sure-fire plus starter from Day 1.

Then, we can plug as many holes as we can on offense this year and next, and solve the QB situation next year in the draft. We're probably going to suck next year and be pretty high in the draft order, in a year where the QB class is supposed to be a lot better.
    +1

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    That is what I mean. Being able to extend the play and scramble for a first down. I don't want a QB that we have designed running plays for. I want a pocket passer who is mobile.

Listening to what Mayock, Davis and Warner were saying it sounded like he had plenty of opportunities to pick up first downs with his legs and he did not. They said he coaches told him to run more and he still didn't do it. And part of the reason is he doesn't want to be lumped in with the running QBs. I just think that is stupid.
    Hopefully it was because he didn't want to get hit in college. College rules aren't close to as stringent as the pros in regard to hitting the QB. Maybe it was just self preservation when he's not getting paid.
    In the pros he'll do what he needs to do.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he's there, the Jets have to take him, end of story. Lot of potential, too good to pass up

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not in love with this year's qb class. Last yr everyone wanted a WR because of Julio Jones and AJ Green now everyone wants a rookie QB because of RG3, Luck and Wilson.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    If he's there, the Jets have to take him, end of story. Lot of potential, too good to pass up
    Well it looks like KC has acquired Alex Smith so i think its safe to assume that Andy Reid will not be taking a QB with the first pick in the draft.

Jets need to probably trade up ahead of arizona to select GENO Smith.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Diddy View Post
    Well it looks like KC has acquired Alex Smith so i think its safe to assume that Andy Reid will not be taking a QB with the first pick in the draft.

Jets need to probably trade up ahead of arizona to select GENO Smith.
    While it may be KC, you're just guessing bro.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Metro_Irvin View Post
    While it may be KC, you're just guessing bro.
    Dude I'm not guessing...

Alex Smith to KC is all over twitter. Sure its not a 100 percent fact but it certainly looks highly likely. The only question is how much did KC give up for Alex Smith.