Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Nelson a free agent

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

David Nelson a free agent

Now this is the type of FA that might make some sense.

Bill just announced they wont tender him. Which makes him an UFA.

He's coming off an ACL so shouldn't cost a ton. A nice low risk, high reward type singing.

Has some nice size and speed and in his first 2 season but up some real nice numbers. If we don't bring back Braylon, this is a move I'd be interested in.
    Last edited by LockeJET; 02-24-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/89...on-source-says

The Buffalo Bills will not tender wide receiver David Nelson a contract offer, making him an unrestricted free agent, a league source said Sunday.

Nelson is coming off a torn ACL, which he hurt Sept. 9 against the Jets.

He caught 92 passes and 8 touchdowns in his first two seasons with Buffalo, where he signed as an undrafted free agent out of Florida in 2010.

Earlier this month, the Bills also allowed receiver Donald Jones to become a free agent in the first significant roster move since Doug Marrone took over as coach last month in replacing Chan Gailey, who was fired after three losing seasons.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now THIS is the kind of move I could see us making.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Now THIS is the kind of move I could see us making.
    Agreed.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    He's only 26 and is 6'5 215.

I'm sure a bunch teams will be looking into his health. Not sure what he would get on the open market but it's moves like this we may be looking into the next year or so.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would be a solid pick-up. Methinks New England and/or Miami will go hard for him as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cottonelle

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never that big a fan of Ozzie and Harriet or either of their kids

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tall , field stretcher and quick! Being a Gator doesn't hurt either- I'm all in for him!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Never that big a fan of Ozzie and Harriet or either of their kids
    Sign les miserables for cheap

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Bills have 26 mill of cap space after last weeks cuts, This and Donald Jones
    makes absolutely no sense to me. Both guys are NFL receivers and would have gotten paid 2mill each.

Nelson said he would be ready for OTAs, he would be a nice fit for the Pats as they have no size at WR. But So would Jones.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Given the choice of suddenly available former Bills WRs, I rather Donald Jones. He's younger, faster and a local kid from Plainfield, NJ.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by legler82 View Post
    Given the choice of suddenly available former Bills WRs, I rather Donald Jones. He's younger, faster and a local kid from Plainfield, NJ.
    That and you already have a 6-4 guy in Hill, These are just two strange moves.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reminds me of a young, tall, fast receiver we signed for cheap last offseason.. Chaz Schilens. And that didnt really work out that well for us

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    These are the kind of free agent signings that make sense. Solid, productive players who will come at a reasonable price. You sign a couple of players like this, then concentrate on the draft.

Forget going for broke in free agency.
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 02-25-2013 at 09:01 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LB54 View Post
    Reminds me of a young, tall, fast receiver we signed for cheap last offseason.. Chaz Schilens. And that didnt really work out that well for us
    He is tall, but he is certainly not fast- think Plax. He is nothing like Schillens, Schillens in 4 years could never stay on the field, Nelson was injured once.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    He is tall, but he is certainly not fast- think Plax.
    Thank you! I'm sitting here reading all these posts about Nelson being fast and thinking to myself "since when?". The Plax comparison is fair but there is one major distinction between the 2, despite being 6-5 he rarely lined up outside. He spent the majority of his time in the slot, which is very strange for a player is size and lack of quickness. Don't know if Buffalo put him there because he can beat press or they were being "innovative". Either way I'll pass on a 6-5 slow slot WR, coming back from a from a significant knee injury who has just been cut by the worst team in our division.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Would be a solid pick-up. Methinks New England and/or Miami will go hard for him as well.
    Yeah, I'll be surprised if he leaves the division.

Curious that the Bills are letting him go, though. Maybe he wants too much?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    He is tall, but he is certainly not fast- think Plax. He is nothing like Schillens, Schillens in 4 years could never stay on the field, Nelson was injured once.
    I agree and I think any comparisions between the two is just silly. Nelson has more ability that Chaz but if he's healthy? he's definitely an option at the position.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    legler, Denver ran McCaffe out of the slot, 1/2 the teams in the league run thier TE out of the slot think Jimmy Graham or Dallas Clark for that matter. Size has nothing to do with running out of the slot. Your WR has trouble beating the press just put him in motion.

The slot guy normally normally runs hooks, slants, hitches- plays over the middle, Nelsonn was known to be fearless and and like a TE he had that large "catch radius" that tv people keeping hitting us over the head with. The qb tosses the ball high over the backers and who gets it, the 5-10 corner or the 6-5 giant with 34 inch arms? He is certainly not a run after the catch guy but he is a big enough target even for sanchez at ten yards.