Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grandy Breaks Forearm, Out Until May

Hall Of Fame

Grandy Breaks Forearm, Out Until May

Here we go . . .

In hindsight, with A-Rod and Grandy, I think they would have given Hamilton the extra year.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...wrist/1943351/

The New York Yankees' list of injured All-Stars now includes their most reliable source of power.

Curtis Granderson will be out 10 weeks after suffering a fractured right forearm when he was struck by a J.A. Happ pitch in his first at-bat in a spring training game this year.

Granderson was removed from the game for what were thought to be merely precautionary X-rays. But they revealed a fracture that will sideline him until at least May.

It's a potentially devastating injury for the Yankees, as Granderson, who turns 32 next month, hit a team-high 43 home runs and was expected to be a key cog in a lineup befallen by injuries.

The Yankees already are without third baseman Alex Rodriguez, out until July after hip surgery, and shortstop Derek Jeter, whose availability for opening day is in question as he recovers from a fractured ankle.

"I didn't think it was (fractured)," Granderson said in an interview on the YES Network. ".Even as we got the X-ray, they asked if it was throbbing. I came and saw (the X-ray) myself.

"It was clear as day."

Juan Rivera and Matt Diaz figure to get the lion's share of playing time in Granderson's absence.

"We'll just have to have guys step up," first baseman Mark Teixeira said on YES. "It's going to be tough."

The Yankees already were missing 114 home runs from last year's lineup, with Rodriguez's absence and the free agent loss of Nick Swisher the main shortfalls.

The bigger concern now: How much power Granderson will be able to provide upon his return. He's also eligible for free agency after this season.

All League

Granderson - Broken arm out til May

Looks like Granderson to Left Field isn't gonna happen for awhile.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...ks-forearm-may

TAMPA, Fla. -- New York Yankees outfielder Curtis Granderson suffered a fractured right forearm Sunday after being hit by a pitch in his first at-bat in a spring training game and will be out until at least the first week of May.

[+] EnlargeGranderson
    AP Photo/Matt SlocumYankees outfielder Curtis Granderson will miss at least 10 weeks after being hit by a pitch in the first inning of a spring training game Sunday.

Granderson was hit by a 2-2 pitch from J.A. Happ and left the game in obvious pain. The injury originally was announced as a bruised forearm, but Granderson was taken to a local hospital for X-rays, which revealed the fracture.

The Yankees said Granderson will be ready to return to action in 10 weeks, putting his approximate return date at May 5.

Granderson was set to play his first game in left field as the Yankees experiment with moving Brett Gardner to center field. But Granderson never got a chance after he was hurt in the top of the first inning.

Hitting with two runners on and two out in the first, Granderson took Happ's pitch off his right hand and was met at first base by manager Joe Girardi and a team trainer.

More On The Yankees

Want to get the scoop on everything in pinstripes? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

Granderson has been the Yankees' starting center fielder since he was acquired from the Detroit Tigers as part of a three-way trade. He has led the Yankees in home runs the last two seasons, but his defense has come under scrutiny.

With Gardner back after missing most of last season due to an elbow injury, Granderson was to be tried in left field for the first time since 2007, when he played two games there.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Always something.

It seems as if the Yanks are somewhat snakebit of late...those Legends seats could be a very lonely section in '13.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    It seems as if the Yanks are somewhat snakebit of late...those Legends seats could be a very lonely section in '13.
    mets blow

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    mets blow
    Please not another Mets bashing thread that is off topic.

All Pro
    I think this year is an 86 win team. And good, I hope they don't sell one of those and they are embarrassed every time they are on TV.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    mets blow
    Who are the mets?

There is absolutely ZERO power from the outfield with Granderson out.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

mets blow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Please not another Mets bashing thread that is off topic.
    All that's missing is the clown car.

Anyhoo, there seems to be an abnormally high rate of Yanks getting beaned and missing significant time over the years..with nary a payback pitch being thrown.

Thats 100% on the Yanks, imho.

Their refusal to protect their batters is Corporate softness....it has cost them the inside of the plate and other teams know it.

Last edited by 32green; 02-25-2013 at 07:32 AM.

@Buster_ESPN: Brian Cashman needs surgery on his broken ankle, after parachuting out of the plane to raise awareness for the Wounded Warrior Project.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    All that's missing is the clown car.

Anyhoo, there seems to be an abnormally high rate of Yanks getting beaned and missing significant time over the years..with nary a payback pitch being thrown.

Thats 100% on the Yanks, imho.

Their refusal to protect their batters is Corporate softness....it has cost them the inside of the plate and other teams know it.

Aside from CC, there isn't one pitcher on the team that will retaliate.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @Buster_ESPN: Brian Cashman needs surgery on his broken ankle, after parachuting out of the plane to raise awareness for the Wounded Warrior Project.
    too bad he can't get surgery on his brain too

@JackCurryYES: Teixeira has strained right wrist and will miss 8 to 10 weeks.

@MikeFrancesaNY: Strained??? Who said dis? Georgia Roddy? How do youah get 10 weeks foah a strain?!?!? Da Yanks need to be in trade mode now, ok.

@JonHeymanCBS: teixeira has no tear. the tendon is "stable.'' but he needs 4 weeks off plus 4 weeks rehab. #yankees

@MikeFrancesaNY: Im goin to da Twins and tawkin Maw-no. We don't waive da white flag on da sixth of Mahch! We're Yankees. Youah dont sit on youah hands heah!
    Last edited by C Mart; 03-06-2013 at 04:55 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charge!

Yankees success this season depends almost entirely on CC and Mo. If CC and Mo can both still perform this is definitely an 88+ win team even in the tough as nails AL East.

You don't have to hit home runs to win ballgames. Solid pitching and run manufacturing using guys like Gardner and Youk to get on base.

All League
    Yankees success this season depends almost entirely on CC and Mo. If CC and Mo can both still perform this is definitely an 88+ win team even in the tough as nails AL East.

You don't have to hit home runs to win ballgames. Solid pitching and run manufacturing using guys like Gardner and Youk to get on base.
    Good luck counting on Youkilis to get through a season. He's a shell of his himself, the greek god of walks is no more.

Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    Good luck counting on Youkilis to get through a season. He's a shell of his himself, the greek god of walks is no more.
    That's fine. By the time Youk breaks down in July these guys named Alex Rodriguez and Mark Texeira will be back remember them?

I love how Yankees-haters are all coming back to life now b/c somehow the media has created this idiotic perception that they're winning 60 games this year.

All League
    That's fine. By the time Youk breaks down in July these guys named Alex Rodriguez and Mark Texeira will be back remember them?

I love how Yankees-haters are all coming back to life now b/c somehow the media has created this idiotic perception that they're winning 60 games this year.
    I've been around here for a long time. If it makes you feel better I'll tell you that the Mets suck and a damn disgrace of a big market team.

I also don't think even if Youkilis stays healthy that he's a particularly good baseball player anymore. He's one of those guys that looks like he aged prematurely.

adb is far from a Yankees hater. This is what makes the baseball forum suck and why nobody posts here anymore.