Thread: Jets interested in Quin to replace Landry?

Jets interested in Quin to replace Landry?

Tony Pauline:

- Hearing the New York Jets understand they won’t be able to afford to resign LaRon Landry. One less expensive option they will consider is Glover Quin, if the Houston Texans don’t resign him. The word is the Texans will do all they can to resign Quin.
    Quin's more of a cover/free-safety type, in the "not quite good enough to be a corner" mold. He'd probably be a good compliment to run-stuffers Bell and Allen. Still don't know what Josh Bush is.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'd be all for it.

Quin is a smart kid that emerged as a vocal leader on the Texans D last year. I don't know if they'll let him walk though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    Tony Pauline:

Quin's more of a cover/free-safety type, in the "not quite good enough to be a corner" mold. He'd probably be a good compliment to run-stuffers Bell and Allen. Still don't know what Josh Bush is.
    We NEED a cover/free-safety type more than we need Landry. We have never really recovered from losing that type of player when we let Rhodes go.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    We NEED a cover/free-safety type more than we need Landry. We have never really recovered from losing that type of player when we let Rhodes go.
    +1

And if we go get a safety in the draft, we NEED the other safety to be a veteran presence. Antonio Allen seems like a good swing option but I don't see him starting for us this year.

All Pro
    Quin would be a very nice signing, especially as a complement to Bell if we can bring him back on another cheap deal.

Suspect Quin's performance in the playoffs might raise his price out of the $2M - $3M the Jets probably want to pay, though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Tanny would be making landry the highest paid safety in the league.

Idzik is looking at this saying: Really good player, but too much injury history to commit an expensive, long term deal to.

And Idzik is right.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    +1

And if we go get a safety in the draft, we NEED the other safety to be a veteran presence. Antonio Allen seems like a good swing option but I don't see him starting for us this year.
    I can see Allen playing more of the Eric Smith / 3rd Safety position next year; not sure he's ready to be a full time starter yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    We NEED a cover/free-safety type more than we need Landry. We have never really recovered from losing that type of player when Rhodes was passed over for the Pro Bowl in 2007/2008, then began acting like a petulant, entitled jackoff and failed to live up to his potential.
    Fixed it.
    Last edited by kali yuga; 02-25-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Would be all for signing Quinn to replace Landry. Unfortunately, Texas is probably too smart to let hin go

Allen might be able to play SS, but this team desperately needs a center field free safety

Have the Broncos locked up Jim Leonhard?

Word during the final day of the combine is many of the free agent cornerbacks and defensive backs who are expecting big paydays are likely to be disappointed. We hear those expecting deals of $7-million per year may have to settle for $4-$5 million annually. LaRon Landry, who’s hoping to get in the area of $6-million per year, is likely to be offered no more than $3-$4 million, according to those who hung around Indianapolis through Tuesday.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6805

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Word during the final day of the combine is many of the free agent cornerbacks and defensive backs who are expecting big paydays are likely to be disappointed. We hear those expecting deals of $7-million per year may have to settle for $4-$5 million annually. LaRon Landry, who’s hoping to get in the area of $6-million per year, is likely to be offered no more than $3-$4 million, according to those who hung around Indianapolis through Tuesday.

Good news for us... signing Quin would be a good option as most safeties these days are more capable in the box and it is harder to find a complete coverage safety. Sign Quin, draft someone like Cyprien or Shawn Williams to compete with Antonio Allen and we are good to go...

It definitely seems like there are future-starting safeties in the draft in the 5th and 6th rounds. Very little at the top (I'm not sold at all on Kenny Vaccaro) but a ton of decent players in the late rounds.

I'd also love it if the Jets took Mathieu in the 4th and used him as a dedicated FS/nickel hybrid on third downs and in the return game. Come to think of it, you might even be able to trade McKnight to move up in a few spots to get Mathieu.

@MoveTheSticks: Hearing a lot of buzz about the Lions and safety Glover Quin. Tomorrow could be an active day for Martin Mayhew.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    I actually like Quin.....I would be more than ok with this if i happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    Tony Pauline:

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

So...unless we keep Revis (sure why not), this kind of sucks for the J E T S .