Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Jets will try to restructure Holmes contract

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Stupid Jets being stupid again.

Just pay him the $11.2 this season and let him walk next year. This season is all about biting the bullet! Bite the bullet on Sanchez, and bite the bullet on Holmes, then 2014 gets us a new QB and a non-cancerous #1 WR. It also gives one of the young bucks a chance to step up to become the #1WR.

Pay him, get it over with, move on... DO NOT RESTRUCTURE!

DO NOT RESTRUCTURE!
    Agree 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bite the bullet now in an uncompetitive year so that you won't have to deal with these albatross contracts when you do build a team to make a run....

@RichCimini: #Jets still talking to Santonio Holmes about re-working his contract. Looking for ways to reduce $11 million base salary.

People keep saying there is no value for the Jets in cutting him now but I think there is some value and it's something that you can't quantify in a ledger.

The Jets are in need of a locker room makeover and Santonio, more than anyone, seems to be the worst of the bunch when it comes to attitude.

Unless you think the Jets are a Santonio Holmes away from contending I think it makes more sense for them to cut their losses, send him packing and get started on rebuilding the locker room into a different team.

Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    People keep saying there is no value for the Jets in cutting him now but I think there is some value and it's something that you can't quantify in a ledger.

The Jets are in need of a locker room makeover and Santonio, more than anyone, seems to be the worst of the bunch when it comes to attitude.

Unless you think the Jets are a Santonio Holmes away from contending I think it makes more sense for them to cut their losses, send him packing and get started on rebuilding the locker room into a different team.
    I agree....would rather start fresh with players willing to play their heart out and buy into the system. The locker room has suffered the past few years. Geting rid of players whose hearts are not into being Jets should be a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    A source told me last month that Holmes is unwilling to take a paycut. This could get interesting. #NYJ
    "a source" told me this is likely bull****, because Costello sees the opportunity to keep viewers/readers on the hook as he spins a Holmes doesn't want a pay cut, Jets want him restructuring mellow-drama

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Agree 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bite the bullet now in an uncompetitive year so that you won't have to deal with these albatross contracts when you do build a team to make a run....

Anyone rooting for a throw-away season is stupid. This is the NFL, nobody does the multi-year rebuild anymore... Nobody comes into a season with the goal of losing while rebuilding. Each year they do the best they can with the roster with the goal of winning. Nothing less.

The term "rebuilding" is usually something that comes out mid-way through, or at the end of a season when a team has lost a ton. It's driven by hindsight and the team's marketing department. Before a season starts, the goal is to win.

Only the Jets fanbase full of suckers would sign-up for a multi-year rebuild. Jet fans took that suckers bet with the multi-year installation of a 3-4 defense under Mangini, and here they are signing up for another snail's pace rebuild. Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post

Holmes unlike most of the locker room wants to win more then anything. That is not bad to have around. He bashed Hunter, Sanchez, and Shotty something I can't say he didn't have a point on that year. They have all been replaced or will be in this off season and Holmes is still our WR. Not worth what we are paying but the rants of him being a lock room cancer seem a bit over the top at times. If he can play is worth more then the 1.5 you get back in cutting. I can deal with having an over paid WR one more year. It is better then having nothing and I don't think this team is set on loosing this year. We will draft a QB and it isn't a bad idea to have a vet WR like him as a part of that.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Holmes unlike most of the locker room wants to win more then anything. That is not bad to have around. He bashed Hunter, Sanchez, and Shotty something I can't say he didn't have a point on that year. They have all been replaced or will be in this off season and Holmes is still our WR. Not worth what we are paying but the rants of him being a lock room cancer seem a bit over the top at times. If he can play is worth more then the 1.5 you get back in cutting. I can deal with having an over paid WR one more year. It is better then having nothing and I don't think this team is set on loosing this year. We will draft a QB and it isn't a bad idea to have a vet WR like him as a part of that.
    We all did that.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    Anyone rooting for a throw-away season is stupid. This is the NFL, nobody does the multi-year rebuild anymore... Nobody comes into a season with the goal of losing while rebuilding. Each year they do the best they can with the roster with the goal of winning. Nothing less.

The term "rebuilding" is usually something that comes out mid-way through, or at the end of a season when a team has lost a ton. It's driven by hindsight and the team's marketing department. Before a season starts, the goal is to win.

Only the Jets fanbase full of suckers would sign-up for a multi-year rebuild. Jet fans took that suckers bet with the multi-year installation of a 3-4 defense under Mangini, and here they are signing up for another snail's pace rebuild. Ridiculous.
    Jim Irsay says Hi.

Anyone who thinks this team will be competitive in 2013 is stupid, given the options out there for QB, and the lack of cap space to upgrade the talent on the roster. If we were legit in the hunt for the superbowl I would think about restructuring Holmes to free up some cap space to make a run, other than that there is no point of moving some of Holmes' money into 2014 and beyond, when you can be rid of his contract and attitude as soon as next season.

Whether you agree "in your infinite wisdom" or not, this team needs a rebuild, and I can almost guarantee that Holmes is not a part of those plans.....