Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt Scott QB Arizona

Matt Scott QB Arizona

This years Russel Wilson. Hope we can get him rd 3 or rd 4.

@MoveTheSticks: Here are some nuggets from today's #NFLCombine workout: http://t.co/gECqfLJ4Bx

I don't get the Seneca Wallace comparison. Scott is 6'2"

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...412/matt-scott

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I don't get the Seneca Wallace comparison. Scott is 6'2"

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...412/matt-scott
    Lazy journalism.

Hall Of Fame
    No way this kid is going be Russel Wilson this year. Wilson had a much bigger body of work at the collegiate level. Dont see this kid being drafted before the 6th round at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by mavericknyc1980 View Post
    Are you wit me on this???
    I'm liking what I'm reading about him. Daniel Jeremiah (movethesticks) likes him too and he provides great insight(former scout).

Good suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    No way this kid is going be Russel Wilson this year. Wilson had a much bigger body of work at the collegiate level. Dont see this kid being drafted before the 6th round at this point.

I respect your opinion. We shall see, I hope you are right and we can get him in rd6.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by mavericknyc1980 View Post
    I respect your opinion. We shall see, I hope you are right and we can get him in rd6.
    He may be the type of QB the Jets look to draft if they bring in another veteran. Of the guys that will be available in the 6th round or so, Scott and Renfree seem to be viable options.

Of the guys that will be available in the 6th round or so, Scott and Renfree seem to be viable options.
    I vote for Colby Cameron. On another forum, a poster did a detailed analysis on the QBs in this draft looking a per attempt stats (e.g., Comp%, Attempts/TD and Attempts/INT). This way, players who play in pass happy offenses wouldn’t have an unfair advantage. The analysis also only looked at stats against good defenses. That weeded out the guys that padded their stats against the bad teams but struggled against the top defenses (e.g., Matt Barkley). Using those guidelines Cameron was the best QB prospect behind Geno Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by legler82 View Post
    Colby Cameron is a projected late round/UDFA QB prospect that in the right system, which I believe is the WCO, is capable of becoming this year's Brady or Romo.

When you look at highlights of Quinton Patton, you can't help but notice the accuracy of the Cameron. Then when you look up his stats, you can't help but to wonder why he's considered a late round prospect. The guy threw for over 4,000 yards at nearly 8 YPA, so he was not dinking and dunking. Despite putting the ball up 500+ times, he threw a whopping just 5 INTs compared to his 31 TDs. He broke the NCAA records for most consecutive pass attempts without an interception in a season (428), previously by Russell Wilson, and in a career (444). All this while completing just under 70% of his passes. The guy is athletic, intelligent, decisive, can read defenses and has a quick release, good feet, a leader and clutch. The knocks on him are size, arm strength, level of competition and scheme; I address each one below.

Size - He measured in at a hair over 6-2 at the East West Shrine Game. Height is significant cause you can add on weight but not height. I believe not breaking that 6-2 is huge since anything below that threshold greatly diminishes your opportunities to be a starting NFL QB. He weighed in at 210, though
    not ideal, there is room to add on more weight. For the sake of comparison, he's 1/8 of an inch taller than Tyler Wilson and 8 pounds lighter.

Arm strength - His arm does not wow you on tape but reports out of the East West Shrine Game practice week was that scouts were surprised by his compact delivery, zip and ball velocity. He's going to be one of the "throwing quarterbacks" at the Combine this year so he'll have plenty of chances to dispel any concerns about his arm in from of all the scouts.

Level of Competition - When LA Tech played ridiculous game against the SEC's Texas A&M, all the highlights were of Quinton Patton and Johnny Football but Cameron tore up A&M's 14th ranked defense. He went 44 for 58 (75.9% CMP) for 450 yards, 5 TDs and 0 INTs. Hate to pick on Tyler Wilson again but against the same defense, Wilson went 29 for 59 (49.2% CMP) for 373 yards, 1 TD and 2 INTs.

Scheme - I don't think not running a "pro" offense is as much of a hindrance as it use to be since the line between college and pro-style offenses has been blurred with the new wave of QBs coming in. While Tech's offense is more unconventional than most (the center calls in the plays and not the QB), I think it's helped Cameron become better than most at reading coverages and making the proper adjustments.

Hall Of Fame
    Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline
    Matt Scott/QB/Arizona blowing up his pro-day and looking great. Scouts at Arizona pro-day now saying 3rd round a possibility...

Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline
    Matt Scott/QB/Arizona blowing up his pro-day and looking great. Scouts at Arizona pro-day now saying 3rd round a possibility...
    First off, I like scott - small body of work, strong arm and mobile.

That being said, to compare him to russel wilson is ridiculous. Wilson is successful because of his leadership and football skills - ie feeling pressure, moving in the pocket, and getting his team to believe in him. Its what he did at wisconsin and in seattle.

Mat Scott redshirted when Foles beat him out, so we really dont know what type of player he is.

Lastly, any QB who is a NFL pick and who has a month to script and practice his throws, should look great at their pro day.

@TonyPauline: Interesting note; no Philadelphia Eagles coaches at Arizona pro-day to watch Matt Scott- seems like the perfect fit...

@TonyPauline: Jaguars well represented, further confirming our pre-combine story of their interest in Matt Scott...Arizona Cardinals new suitors as well..

@TonyPauline: @Bucsfan8251 scouts but no coaches...Jags have coaches in attendance...

@TonyPauline: Dan Buckner/WR/Arizona, combine snub, measured 6037/214lbs, 33-vert, 10' broad..was on his way to running 4.4's but pulled up w/leg injury
    Last edited by C Mart; 03-07-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    First off, I like scott - small body of work, strong arm and mobile.

That being said, to compare him to russel wilson is ridiculous. Wilson is successful because of his leadership and football skills - ie feeling pressure, moving in the pocket, and getting his team to believe in him. Its what he did at wisconsin and in seattle.

Mat Scott redshirted when Foles beat him out, so we really dont know what type of player he is.

Lastly, any QB who is a NFL pick and who has a month to script and practice his throws, should look great at their pro day.
    I agree 100%. Scott went from looking like an UDFA at the Shrine game to now being considered a 3rd round prospect by doing nothing more than throwing a few times in shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @TonyPauline: Interesting note; no Philadelphia Eagles coaches at Arizona pro-day to watch Matt Scott- seems like the perfect fit...

This SCREAMS to me as one of those situations where the team makes no visits to workouts and schedules no player interviews with the guy only to shock the world and take him relatively high in the draft.

Think about it.

Chip knows what kind of offense he wants to run. He knows what kind of players it takes, specifically at the QB position. Furthermore, Matt Scott played in the same conference as Oregon, so I'm sure Chip already knows enough about the guy.

Scott goes to the Eagles at the top of the 3rd Round. I'm calling it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    This SCREAMS to me as one of those situations where the team makes no visits to workouts and schedules no player interviews with the guy only to shock the world and take him relatively high in the draft.
    Maybe not:

Mike Jurecki ‏@mikejurecki
    Just spoke to Arizona QB Matt Scott, mentioned he flies 2 Philly on Monday 4 visit w/ the Eagles & will work out 4 them later this month.

Still sticking with the Eagles in 3rd round prediction, however.

Peter Lalich is a guy to google and read up about.

Had problems with alcohol - busted for possesion of alochol as a minor and wa booted from UVA. Went to Orgeon St and got a boat DUI and was kicked off that team.

Former top 5 HS recruit at QB. 6'5 235, very accurate, great understanding of coverages and scheme, not a huge arm, but solid for west coast offense. Supposedly has his problems behind him - hasnt had a problem the last 2 years.

Not for nothing but are we talking about a starting QB in the NFL or discussing who may be our next 3rd stringer? Outside of Tom Brady I don't recall very many situations where the 6th or 8th or 12th best QB prospect in a draft was anything but crap. The percentages for success at those levels are miniscule. Are any of these guys better than Geno or even Nassib/Manuel/Barclay etc? Seems like we are reaching for lolipops and rainbows with some of these names. People had us drafting Scott in the 7th and now he is a 3rd rounder? No thanks. Peter Lailich? Never heard of him.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Not for nothing but are we talking about a starting QB in the NFL or discussing who may be our next 3rd stringer? Outside of Tom Brady I don't recall very many situations where the 6th or 8th or 12th best QB prospect in a draft was anything but crap. The percentages for success at those levels are miniscule. Are any of these guys better than Geno or even Nassib/Manuel/Barclay etc? Seems like we are reaching for lolipops and rainbows with some of these names. People had us drafting Scott in the 7th and now he is a 3rd rounder? No thanks. Peter Lailich? Never heard of him.
    If you watch game film on Matt Scott, he throws a very nice ball. Plays in a pro style offense. But physically looks more like a high-schooler. I think that's the biggest knock on him.