Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EJ Manuel in Rd 2. Get On the Bus.

All Pro
    no no no.

Unless we bring in Geno for a workout - and deem him to be legit. PASS on a QB period this year. This guys are not worth their weight in draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by RazorJet View Post
    EJ Manuel = The bus from Speed. Or maybe a bus with bald tires on ice.

I'll get on the bus, when it's the bus from the Enforcer. A QB that can take a hit, hang on and get back up.... pissed.
    I'll bite ... who is the enforcer?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    no no no.

Unless we bring in Geno for a workout - and deem him to be legit. PASS on a QB period this year. This guys are not worth their weight in draft picks.
    Gotta take a QB in this draft and the guy i like is Bray in the 2nd or 3rd.

He has the package: Arm, Size and quick release.

Money is right: 2nd or 3rd round won't hurt if he's a dud, but Oh the upside.

Need is there: We don't have a QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    I'll bite ... who is the enforcer?
    It is a Clint Eastwood movie, but I think he meant The Gauntlet...

Quote Originally Posted by nj2socaljetsfan View Post
    EJ's arm strength is similar to Chad Pennington.
    No it's not...

And Manuel doesn't have a hitch in his release either. Manuel also does have very good touch, as evidenced by how good he is at throwing screens.

Manuel's flaw is that he doesn't have consistent throwing mechanics. He too often just lays the ball out there instead of really driving through the throw. I like Manuel in terms of throws shorter than 10 yards and over 30 yards. What makes me worry is those throws in between. He needs to drive through the ball and really put it in there. He has to get rid of that tendency where he just flips the ball out there.

I was on Manuel even before the senior bowl. He and Nassib are the only two guys who I could see becoming good NFL Qb's if some things go right. Nassib I like but his deep throws are absolutely horrible. He has to fix that or he just won't be more than a Fitzpatrick at best case.

What makes Manuel and Nassib both very good potentially is the pocket awareness. Manuel does not care one bit if free runners come through. Nassib is absolutely elite when it comes to stepping up in the pocket and his release is just lightning.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    No it's not...

And Manuel doesn't have a hitch in his release either. Manuel also does have very good touch, as evidenced by how good he is at throwing screens.

Manuel's flaw is that he doesn't have consistent throwing mechanics. He too often just lays the ball out there instead of really driving through the throw. I like Manuel in terms of throws shorter than 10 yards and over 30 yards. What makes me worry is those throws in between. He needs to drive through the ball and really put it in there. He has to get rid of that tendency where he just flips the ball out there.

I was on Manuel even before the senior bowl. He and Nassib are the only two guys who I could see becoming good NFL Qb's if some things go right. Nassib I like but his deep throws are absolutely horrible. He has to fix that or he just won't be more than a Fitzpatrick at best case.

What makes Manuel and Nassib both very good potentially is the pocket awareness. Manuel does not care one bit if free runners come through. Nassib is absolutely elite when it comes to stepping up in the pocket and his release is just lightning.
    i guess the question is, will idzik want to invest a 2nd round pick, and a high one at that, on a developmental qb. the jets could easily take a pass rusher in the first, and then if they take a qb in the 2nd they basically didn't address offensive skill positions for the 2013 season.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post

No - we don't gotta take a qb in this draft, we already have a low-ceiling back up. His name is McElroy. None of these guys present a sure-fire starters outside of maybe Geno.

No - he doesn't have the package. Are you kidding?! He's SUPER average. Nothing about him stands out as elite. His height is about as awesome as it gets. Bray makes Sanchezian like decisions.

No - there's so many better things to do with our picks this year. It's just not a strong QB class.

Correct - the need is there. But with our situation in 2013, I hardly see the point in spending a 2-3 rnd pick on a guy who'll spend his days competing with McElroy and being the next Clemens.

Don't force value because of need. Even if he is a dud the team will spend years and resources on a guy selected in the 2nd round. Qb is the most important position on the team. If you are going to get one get a good one.

Bray sucks so don't bother with that. You can't fix head issues and he just doesn't have any of the mental side.

And I understand people just wanting to shun the QB position altogether, but statistically speaking, at least one of these guys will end up being a pretty good NFL QB.

I don't think Glennon is the guy although sometimes he gets me excited. The only other 2 guys I'd consider are Nassib and Manuel. I think their major positives will help big time in their move to the NFL.

Bray sucks so don't bother with that. You can't fix head issues and he just doesn't have any of the mental side.

And I understand people just wanting to shun the QB position altogether, but statistically speaking, at least one of these guys will end up being a pretty good NFL QB.

I don't think Glennon is the guy although sometimes he gets me excited. The only other 2 guys I'd consider are Nassib and Manuel. I think their major positives will help big time in their move to the NFL.
    wouldn't mind if the jets took nassib but the ceiling just doesn't seem that high. and they'd probably have to take him in the 2nd anyway, maybe even trade up ahead of buff. just doesn't seem worth it. would rather have manuel b/c of height and running ability. don't want another 6'2" qb.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets904 View Post
    6' 5" 240 lb quarterbacks who run a 4.65 don't come around too often. And they certainly don't come with a resume' like EJ's. I've been at FSU for his whole career and I can definitely understand why people wouldn't take him in the 1st (Occasionally breaks down in the pocket, Inconsistent velocity on passes, locking down on primary receivers... etc) but these are common issues with rookie QB's, and may have also been brought on by Jimbo Fisher's confusing and overly conservative offense. In fact, these flaws could end up pushing him right into the Jet's lap at #39. I think an honest to God competition between Sanchez and Manuel, combined with upgrades to OL, RB, OLB, and WR could give us all something to watch next year. Are there any quarterbacks you all like? (Please don't say Glennon... )

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap20...Manuel-s-value

Here's his interview from the Combine today, impressive demeanor.
    Tyler Bray in the 3rd or 4th round. Big boy who can throw and throw accurately.

All Pro

Agree 100%

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Metro_Irvin View Post
    If he was able to change his mechanics, then that would definitely be a plus, but it would be interesting to see if he would instinctually revert back to his old mechanics once a Ngata or Wilfork are collapsing the pocket and breathing down his neck
    You mean like #6?

No it's not...

I worked for FSU football team during spring ball after CP7 went pro. EJ doesn't have a big NFL arm. EJ will take 15 yard sacks every game. He's a good kid and will work extremely hard. But he will need at least 3 years to develop to become a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by nj2socaljetsfan View Post
    I worked for FSU football team during spring ball after CP7 went pro. EJ doesn't have a big NFL arm. EJ will take 15 yard sacks every game. He's a good kid and will work extremely hard. But he will need at least 3 years to develop to become a starter.
    As would any other QB in this draft class. This is not a good year for the QB position in the draft Manuel in the 2nd or 3rd round is a way better and safer move than Barkley or Smith in rd 1. Warmack Puh-lease.

I think Smith and Manuel are the two QBs most likely to be successful out of this draft. I'm not saying they will, but if I had to bet it would be them and I would have no complaints taking either of those guys (though I'd prefer Manuel in the 3rd, not 2nd). Who knows if he'll last until the 3rd based on his Sr. Bowl and Combine performances. Barkley, Glennon, etc. on the other hand, nahhhh dawg.

I can really see Manuel as a guy who you groom on the bench for a year and then unleash at some point in year 2.

If we take a QB in Round 2 or beyond, he better at least have some physical tools.

I'm on board.....Also would like Geno Smith in the 1st if he falls

Bray or Wilson are the only other 2 guys I'd like to take a shot on

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    I think Smith and Manuel are the two QBs most likely to be successful out of this draft. I'm not saying they will, but if I had to bet it would be them and I would have no complaints taking either of those guys (though I'd prefer Manuel in the 3rd, not 2nd). Who knows if he'll last until the 3rd based on his Sr. Bowl and Combine performances. Barkley, Glennon, etc. on the other hand, nahhhh dawg.

I can really see Manuel as a guy who you groom on the bench for a year and then unleash at some point in year 2.

If we take a QB in Round 2 or beyond, he better at least have some physical tools.
    Manuel has a shot just b/c he is a physical specimen. He's Daunte Culpepper without the insane arm strength. The rest of these qb's in this draft are garbage.

Matt Scott is the qb we should be looking at.