Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 73

Thread: EJ Manuel in Rd 2. Get On the Bus.

  1. #1

    EJ Manuel in Rd 2. Get On the Bus.

    6' 5" 240 lb quarterbacks who run a 4.65 don't come around too often. And they certainly don't come with a resume' like EJ's. I've been at FSU for his whole career and I can definitely understand why people wouldn't take him in the 1st (Occasionally breaks down in the pocket, Inconsistent velocity on passes, locking down on primary receivers... etc) but these are common issues with rookie QB's, and may have also been brought on by Jimbo Fisher's confusing and overly conservative offense. In fact, these flaws could end up pushing him right into the Jet's lap at #39. I think an honest to God competition between Sanchez and Manuel, combined with upgrades to OL, RB, OLB, and WR could give us all something to watch next year. Are there any quarterbacks you all like? (Please don't say Glennon... )


    http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap20...Manuel-s-value

    Here's his interview from the Combine today, impressive demeanor.
    Last edited by Jets904; 02-24-2013 at 09:04 PM.

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Midland Park, NJ
    Posts
    3,703
    Geno Smith- Great passer, needs to learn to use his feet better and needs to work on escape gap drills at the next level

    EJ Manuel- Great athletic QB, knows how to utilize the pocket, needs to learn touch at the next level

    Of all the QB's in the draft these are the ones with the most potential with the most minimal effort.

    Personally, if Geno doesn't fall to us, I would love Manuel. He has the athleticism to recover from rookie mistakes similar to Russell Wilson until it starts to click

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    Geno Smith- Great passer, needs to learn to use his feet better and needs to work on escape gap drills at the next level

    EJ Manuel- Great athletic QB, knows how to utilize the pocket, needs to learn touch at the next level

    Of all the QB's in the draft these are the ones with the most potential with the most minimal effort.

    Personally, if Geno doesn't fall to us, I would love Manuel. He has the athleticism to recover from rookie mistakes similar to Russell Wilson until it starts to click
    Geno's not bad either, I'm just skeptical of how QB's from pure spread systems make the adjustment. Especially when they come from the "Offense Only" Big 12. You can ask Blaine Gabbert how that works. EJ is no sure thing though, he just seems more tested.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Midland Park, NJ
    Posts
    3,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets904 View Post
    Geno's not bad either, I'm just skeptical of how QB's from pure spread systems make the adjustment. Especially when they come from the "Offense Only" Big 12. You can ask Blaine Gabbert how that works. EJ is no sure thing though, he just seems more tested.
    Gabbert couldn't be asked to avoid pressure in the pocket if all the defenders were stuck in bear traps. Everyone saw it but he got drafted in the top 10 anyway. You don't have that problem with Geno or Manuel, but Geno has to work on it more.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    Gabbert couldn't be asked to avoid pressure in the pocket if all the defenders were stuck in bear traps. Everyone saw it but he got drafted in the top 10 anyway. You don't have that problem with Geno or Manuel, but Geno has to work on it more.
    You're right, Gabbert is spectacularly bad. But thats what happens when someone is ALWAYS open in your college offense. You don't learn how to calm down and make it happen.

    Of course talking about QB's is pretty pointless assuming they don't fix the OL. I would'nt be surprised if Austin Howard becomes our new RG and we draft a RT at some point.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Midland Park, NJ
    Posts
    3,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets904 View Post
    You're right, Gabbert is spectacularly bad. But thats what happens when someone is ALWAYS open in your college offense. You don't learn how to calm down and make it happen.

    Of course talking about QB's is pretty pointless assuming they don't fix the OL. I would'nt be surprised if Austin Howard becomes our new RG and we draft a RT at some point.
    Bradford, RG3, Wilson, Keap all say otherwise. There are tell tale signs to see that a QB is bad when pressured, Gabbert had about a dozen of those flags but got drafted anyway

    You just have to hope that more and more kids (gentlemen, if you have a son who's learning QB in this beautiful game you have to have them train with this series)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twdDRfob-50

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    Bradford, RG3, Wilson, Keap all say otherwise. There are tell tale signs to see that a QB is bad when pressured, Gabbert had about a dozen of those flags but got drafted anyway

    You just have to hope that more and more kids (gentlemen, if you have a son who's learning QB in this beautiful game you have to have them train with this series)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twdDRfob-50
    Bradford is meh, RG3 is a once in 10 years talent, Wilson ran pro style offenses in college and Kaep ran the Pistol (which is close, but you have to take your eyes off the secondary). I dont know, I just get the feeling Geno Smith is a more athletic Kevin Kolb. Especially in Mornhinweg's system.

  8. #8
    Ive got a friend who is a die-hard FSU fan and watched every snap of EJ Manuel, and told me specifically a couple of months ago that he would rise because he would look great at the combine...

    BUT..... would avoid taking him with a high draft pick. He never was able to have a consistent motion to go along with the footwork, and like you said, at times had a hard time reading his progressions and locked on to his primary wr too often.

    But his measurables are insane, and Im sure with good coaching he could put it all together.

    Would just be wary of drafting him with our early 2nd.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    Geno Smith- Great passer, needs to learn to use his feet better and needs to work on escape gap drills at the next level

    EJ Manuel- Great athletic QB, knows how to utilize the pocket, needs to learn touch at the next level

    Of all the QB's in the draft these are the ones with the most potential with the most minimal effort.

    Personally, if Geno doesn't fall to us, I would love Manuel. He has the athleticism to recover from rookie mistakes similar to Russell Wilson until it starts to click
    Exactly. The only QB's I have any desire in are Manuel and Geno. Both have premiere potential. Geno is a perfect fit for a WCO. Strong, good size, confident in pocket, mobile, very accurate.

    Manuel reminds me of a less athletic/bigger Kapernick. He's a potential guy, that would need a great offensive mind to tutor him along. Big fan of both of them.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Midland Park, NJ
    Posts
    3,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Metro_Irvin View Post
    Ive got a friend who is a die-hard FSU fan and watched every snap of EJ Manuel, and told me specifically a couple of months ago that he would rise because he would look great at the combine...

    BUT..... would avoid taking him with a high draft pick. He never was able to have a consistent motion to go along with the footwork, and like you said, at times had a hard time reading his progressions and locked on to his primary wr too often.

    But his measurables are insane, and Im sure with good coaching he could put it all together.

    Would just be wary of drafting him with our early 2nd.
    Manuel's throwing motion was a concern. a lot of people said he had a kink in his release.

    Many scouts noted that Manuel has all but done away with that after today and there's been a buzz of teams thinking up ways to get him to understand touch. The fact that he changed his mechanics not only at the combine but in live action at the Senior Bowl shows he has potential to put it together.

    I don't exactly like the idea of project QB's but if we go by what scouts/coaches have been raving about then i could live with it.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    Manuel's throwing motion was a concern. a lot of people said he had a kink in his release.

    Many scouts noted that Manuel has all but done away with that after today and there's been a buzz of teams thinking up ways to get him to understand touch. The fact that he changed his mechanics not only at the combine but in live action at the Senior Bowl shows he has potential to put it together.

    I don't exactly like the idea of project QB's but if we go by what scouts/coaches have been raving about then i could live with it.
    If he was able to change his mechanics, then that would definitely be a plus, but it would be interesting to see if he would instinctually revert back to his old mechanics once a Ngata or Wilfork are collapsing the pocket and breathing down his neck

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Midland Park, NJ
    Posts
    3,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Metro_Irvin View Post
    If he was able to change his mechanics, then that would definitely be a plus, but it would be interesting to see if he would instinctually revert back to his old mechanics once a Ngata or Wilfork are collapsing the pocket and breathing down his neck
    He showed off his new mechanics in the senior bowl while under pressure without a hitch. It was really impressive

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Metro_Irvin View Post
    Ive got a friend who is a die-hard FSU fan and watched every snap of EJ Manuel, and told me specifically a couple of months ago that he would rise because he would look great at the combine...

    BUT..... would avoid taking him with a high draft pick. He never was able to have a consistent motion to go along with the footwork, and like you said, at times had a hard time reading his progressions and locked on to his primary wr too often.

    But his measurables are insane, and Im sure with good coaching he could put it all together.

    Would just be wary of drafting him with our early 2nd.
    Watching EJ Manuel in college was very frustrating. His issues seemed to pop up at the worst moments in some big games, but he was otherwise excellent.
    Especially in bowl games: 4-0 with wins over West Virginia (and Geno Smith), South Carolina, Notre Dame and NIU.

    I feel like some commentators are pushing down the market for EJ. If it weren't for the constant harping on relatively minor issues -that are common to all the quarterbacks in this class- his stats, measurables, college record, and intangibles would all point to a Top 15 pick.

    In the Jet's case this is perfect. "Buying Low" they call it.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,737
    He wont be there in the 2nd. Some team will talk themselves into reaching for him.

  15. #15
    Don't take any Qb in the top 3 rounds. None of them are good enough to make me think they can win a super bowl. There are tons of good backs, good WR's, good oline and good olbs. Take advantage of the value and look for a Qb that another team develops or wait for a future draft.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    He wont be there in the 2nd. Some team will talk themselves into reaching for him.
    This could happen, or he could fall to us at 39 and we trade back to one of those teams. I think most would prefer that actually, assuming we get a QB to develop.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    Manuel's throwing motion was a concern. a lot of people said he had a kink in his release.

    Many scouts noted that Manuel has all but done away with that after today and there's been a buzz of teams thinking up ways to get him to understand touch. The fact that he changed his mechanics not only at the combine but in live action at the Senior Bowl shows he has potential to put it together.

    I don't exactly like the idea of project QB's but if we go by what scouts/coaches have been raving about then i could live with it.
    All FSU fans will pretty much tell you the same thing. None of us thought as much of him as we did Ponder and Ponder was 2nd round talent. I have Manuel as my 9th ranked QB behind Landry Jones. It is a deep QB class but I wouldn't take him in the 2nd.

  18. #18
    EJ's arm strength is similar to Chad Pennington.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by nj2socaljetsfan View Post
    EJ's arm strength is similar to Chad Pennington.
    Pre-injury Chad maybe. He's a more accurate passer down the field than in intermediate routes, not sure what makes him Noodle-ish.

  20. #20
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, Tn via Atkins, Arkansas
    Posts
    2,276
    EJ Manuel = The bus from Speed. Or maybe a bus with bald tires on ice.

    I'll get on the bus, when it's the bus from the Enforcer. A QB that can take a hit, hang on and get back up.... pissed.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us