Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Michelle Obama at the Oscars!!!!

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Well Reagan was an actor; his nose was already firmly entrenched in Hollywood years before he entered politics. Unlike the Obamas, he didn't need to use his political largesse to muscle his way into La La Land. That was old hat for him.

Imagine if Django won best picture. That would have been awkward. Or even Zero Dark Thirty.
    Well, it would have been REAL awkward iffin Django won, because I thought it fell apart at the end.

Hall Of Fame
    The Obamas are in bed with Harvey Weinstein. Harvey Weinstein owns Hollywood. It was a bit of a victory lap. I would prefer that they didn't try to be celebrities but . . .

You can go back and find Laura being asked on national television (I think NBC) if it was appropriate for Dubya to have an inauguration since we were at war. LO-phuckin-L. I will post the clip if I can find it.

BTW she needs to fire her stylist. The dress was ugly as sin and I think she needs to rethink the hair.

I was initially surprised to see MO on the Oscars, presenting for Best Picture. What the hell does she have to do with that award? Usually they choose a Hollywood icon like a decorated actor or director to present that award, which clearly would have made a lot more sense. Mrs. Obama, however, has no connection with the entertainment industry and has no place at the Oscars.

I see our friend IJF is trying to make parallels with Laura Bush appearing on Sesame Street. I mean, that's just idiotic. I would expect a First Lady to appear on Sesame Street. I would not expect Laura Bush, or Hillary Clinton, or Barbara Bush to appear at the Oscars and give out their marquee award.

As I said, I was initially surprised, but then I considered how enamoured the Obamas are with their own celebrity. They love palling around with celebrities, musicians, and athletes. The post inaugural party in the White House that went well pasted midnight was documented on twitter by guests like John Legend, Katy Perry, and Kerry Washington. They love basking in the glow they create for themselves. It's a tad unseemly, to say the least.
    No, it is not idiotic. What IS idiotic is starting a thread that rips the first lady because she appeared on a segment for the Oscars when it has been a tradition to make appearances on entertainment shows for generations. Laura Bush also appeared on Ellen, Ronald Reagan appeared in the very same format as Mrs. Obama to flip the coin for the Redskins/Raiders Super Bowl. And Reagan used every bit of the hollywood celebrity culture to raise money for his elections and reelections including having celebrities appear with him all over the place. Presidents from both sides of the aisle have made countless appearances on Johnny Carson, David Letterman and Jay Leno. Remember the appearances by Obama and McCain on WWE's RAW?

The bottom line is when it is done by the other guys we have a problem with it (or the hosts from the political shows we consume have a problem with it thus we do). When the very same thing is done by our side we make excuses or look away. Standard stuff considering the political culture of this country in 2013.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 02-26-2013 at 07:12 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Well, it would have been REAL awkward iffin Django won, because I thought it fell apart at the end.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    No, it is not idiotic. What IS idiotic is starting a thread that rips the first lady because she appeared on a segment for the Oscars when it has been a tradition to make appearances on entertainment shows for generations. Laura Bush also appeared on Ellen, Ronald Reagan appeared in the very same format as Mrs. Obama to flip the coin for the Redskins/Raiders Super Bowl. And Reagan used every bit of the hollywood celebrity culture to raise money for his elections and reelections including having celebrities appear with him all over the place. Presidents from both sides of the aisle have made countless appearances on Johnny Carson, David Letterman and Jay Leno. Remember the appearances by Obama and McCain on WWE's RAW?

The bottom line is when it is done by the other guys we have a problem with it (or the hosts from the political shows we consume have a problem with it thus we do). When the very same thing is done by our side we make excuses or look away. Standard stuff considering the political culture of this country in 2013.
    Agree to disagree. It would have been fine for her to make an appearence even earlier in the show. But Best Picture is the only reason most people try to watch until the end. The entire show builds up to that award all night long. And then when the big moment arrived, Michelle Obama dropped from the ceiling in a giant TV screen, stealing the spotlight and the moment. Like I said, it was unseemly.

Agree to disagree. It would have been fine for her to make an appearence even earlier in the show. But Best Picture is the only reason most people try to watch until the end. The entire show builds up to that award all night long. And then when the big moment arrived, Michelle Obama dropped from the ceiling in a giant TV screen, stealing the spotlight and the moment. Like I said, it was unseemly.
    So your issue is not that she appeared on the show but that she gave out the most prestigious award and at the most important time. It is a fair and reasonable point but you are making a very different distinction from what the OP was trying to make.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

So your issue is not that she appeared on the show but that she gave out the most prestigious award and at the most important time. It is a fair and reasonable point but you are making a very different distinction from what the OP was trying to make.
    The OP and I are two very different people.

Your completely lost if you think Michelle Obama is fat so its not even worth discussing. And not that reality matters but I never said she, or the president was an athlete; another straw man makes an appearance

Nor did I say that NYC directly pays defense contractors . But the contractors get paid with tax money last I checked. And the tax money comes from tax payers. Simple stuff.

For her age, she's a lard a$$. Oink. Sooeey.
    Well, that's what a midlife crisis is for her. She wants a sportscar and freedom. Got to express herself with bangs.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Well, that's what a midlife crisis is for her. She wants a sportscar and freedom. Got to express herself with bangs.
    Lol, come on. She isn't close to being fat.

Lol, come on. She isn't close to being fat.
    Respectfully, we may have different standards. There is serious meat on the hoof there. Her arms are the envy of some NFL OLBs. LOL.

Perhaps he fashion outfitter is just doing a poor job. Hard to believe, though, with the money spent on her attire.

Hall Of Fame
    Creepy South American totalitarian lite vibe, tweeted Walter Kirn, and he writes for the liberal journal The New Republic.

Bewildered Beast
    jeezuz you sound like half a faig. Maybe you should sit this one out.

All Pro

Unseemly is the perfect word for it. Forced, contrived, uninvited by viewers. Just another example of the first affirmative action president ghettoing up the office of POTUS. He's finished the job that Bush started in lower the status of the office and the country in general to all time lows.

jeezuz you sound like half a faig. Maybe you should sit this one out.
    Because I prefer ATTRACTIVE women? Whoa. YOU are the one who needs a MAJOR wakeup call. Or perhaps a visit to your eye doctor.

You're on the West Coast - land of major sissies. Perhaps you need to associate with more normal people.

Respectfully, we may have different standards. There is serious meat on the hoof there. Her arms are the envy of some NFL OLBs. LOL.

Perhaps he fashion outfitter is just doing a poor job. Hard to believe, though, with the money spent on her attire.
    You are consistent, I will give you points for that. Your posts are consistently uninformative and incorrect.

The OP and I are two very different people.
    The OP has a life, Paulina. Oh no, the 28 yr old accomplished nothing moderator might ban me...KYS

Bewildered Beast
    Because I prefer ATTRACTIVE women? Whoa. YOU are the one who needs a MAJOR wakeup call. Or perhaps a visit to your eye doctor.

You're on the West Coast - land of major sissies. Perhaps you need to associate with more normal people.
    Like most gentlemen, I prefer to hold my tongue when it comes to advancing beauty.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Like most gentlemen, I prefer to hold my tongue when it comes to advancing beauty.
    +1, well stated.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    The OP has a life, Paulina. Oh no, the 28 yr old accomplished nothing moderator might ban me...KYS
    I will, for the personal attack. You're welcome, enjoy your vacation.

Nice to see the country is running so well that people can get seriously exercised about a person with no responsibilities in government appearing on an awards show.

I mean come on, people. Seriously?