Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So when will the Jets be back in the playoffs?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

So when will the Jets be back in the playoffs?

I think we Jet fans have suffered mightily over the last couple of years. It isn't so much the record we have posted it's the negative press we keep and the players who leave and keep the Jets in their mouths to move their career aspirations along (LT, DW). That said, our roster and performance over the last couple of years should have taught us a very good lesson -> without a franchise QB you will never consistently win in this league. I hate the Pats, but they have become a model franchise because of Brady. I suspect, they too will suffer a long drought of success once he finally retires. But enough about our rivals. Without a franchise QB in the short term future of FA and the Draft what could we expect from our beloved Jets? Is it fair no matter what pick ups Idzik is to make this offseason via FA, Draft and Trades the Jets will be no better than they were two years ago at 8-8 and that's assuming we find solutions at a number of positions on our roster. Clearly 8-8 isn't good enough for most playoff years, so what could the Jets do?

Improving this year roster should be pretty easy for Idzik since the number of our own FA that we would want to bring back as starters is pretty small. Only Landry make sense from a talent perspective, and his asking price may be too much. Some will say Keller should be brought back, but over the years I have seen his inability to block as a liability for our offense. How many blocking OL do we need to bring in on a swing pass? Because the roster is ripe for a turnover one has to think we could do a decent job of improving it. But improving the roster means nothing without a franchise QB. Without the emotional attachment that I have for Darrell Revis, he has to be the one piece of the pie that I use to get said Franchise QB. Think of signing him to a 5-6 year 90m+ contract that a Franchise QB should have. In today's NFL landscape you can't have two players of that magnitude on your roster at the same time. Look at teams like Houston with Mario Williams and the Patriots with Welker as poster children for teams who have Franchise QB's that can't afford another tier 1 player. Even if your able to do so the rest of your roster will suffer. So without creating a offseason thread about who, what and why; I will simply say I would trade DR for a #1 pick to almost any team outside the AFC because that means I will have two #1's and a #2 if need be to trade for a Franchise QB in next years draft. Plus I will have some 40+ million in cap space and possibly more depending on what we do with players like Holmes and Harris. Kiper listed the 2014 QB class as a better overall class than last years heralded class. I see 4 players as potential 1st round players and two of which whom I would consider top 5 talent. McCarron, Thomas and Murray should all be top 10 picks. While Revis brings a certainty with knowing he allows your defense to shut out one WR or one side of the field he also doesn't show the leadership I expected from a player demanding 90+m for a contract. It will be tough to replace a HOF player like him, but for the prospect of finally having a franchise QB that we can draft, I would trade almost every player on this squad and start over...

Isn't that where we are at now anyway?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why sign (or extend) Revis to a long term contract if we're rebuilding now, and we'll be potentially playing for something in years 4, 5, 6 of his contract IF the Jets do manage to improve by then, with the cap space left, fewer QB opportunities, etc.?

Jets are rebuilding now. If they're in the playoff hunt this year, it's a pleasant surprise.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we do the right things? 2015 at the earliest.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    i firmly believe a change at qb will get this team in the playoffs. sanchez lost at least 4 games himself last year with miscues.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    i firmly believe a change at qb will get this team in the playoffs. sanchez lost at least 4 games himself last year with miscues.

Agree. But where will they get this QB? There is nobody of real quality in FA. And this draft stinks. I saw excitement on JI about Geno Smith. Sorry, he's a bum as a player.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Why sign (or extend) Revis to a long term contract if we're rebuilding now, and we'll be potentially playing for something in years 4, 5, 6 of his contract IF the Jets do manage to improve by then, with the cap space left, fewer QB opportunities, etc.?

Jets are rebuilding now. If they're in the playoff hunt this year, it's a pleasant surprise.
    John, re-read, I'm suggesting we trade him because of that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    John, re-read, I'm suggesting we trade him because of that.
    I agree, it's hard to finish a thought on an iPhone. LOL.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    I think we can easily be a playoff team in 2013 if we "do the right things", especially if we find a QB. That is the key. Could be a 5 game difference in record

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I think we can easily be a playoff team in 2013 if we "do the right things", especially if we find a QB. That is the key. Could be a 5 game difference in record
    Sanchez plays as he did in 2010 last season, and we win at least 3 more games. 6-10 becomes 9-7 just like that.

Unfortunately......

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    All this talk of Revis costing what a Franchise QB costs is irrelevant. We don't have a franchise QB and none are available for any price. Right now the best shot at the playoffs in 2013 is probably with Flynn at the helm. Of all the possibilities he has the most short term upside.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a chance we could make the playoffs this year if we get average QB play (). Going from league-worst to average will make a huge difference.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The fact that we won six games with as bad of an offense as the one we had, with the kind of God-awful QB play that we had, is a miracle. With a halfway competent QB, a decent RB, and Rex's defense, this team can win 9 or 10 (maybe even 11) games.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Next Year.
    Idzik does a tremendous job with the draft. Sanchez becomes an average QB, the O-line improves, Morningweig does a hell of a job as OC and our defense takes a step forward even without Revis. We finish 9-7 and sneak in as a wild-card.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    All comes down to the QB position...

Rex's defense always gives us a shot, we just need something reasonable from that position.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    2014 at the earliest. The AFC is weak so we'll likely hover on the fringe of playoff contention again, but not as a serious team that people really thinks belongs in the playoffs (similar to this past season). Really tough to answer this question without knowing who plays QB next year though.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    All this talk of Revis costing what a Franchise QB costs is irrelevant. We don't have a franchise QB and none are available for any price. Right now the best shot at the playoffs in 2013 is probably with Flynn at the helm. Of all the possibilities he has the most short term upside.
    I'm not sold on Flynn, he didn't beat out a 3rd round pick so that makes me leery. Also, you can see that GB team was loaded when he played those 4 games and I'm not sure he will be able to duplicate that short term. That said, if his contract was negotiated to a potential starter role, then I would be ok in trading for him, but still trading Revis for draft picks in 2014. Because if Flynn isn't that dude, you need to draft one next year or potentially be out of the running for a couple of more years.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    All comes down to the QB position...

Rex's defense always gives us a shot, we just need something reasonable from that position.
    This.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Without catching lightning in a bottle (Like drafting Brady in the 6th, Signing Brees as a FA etc) 2015, With a little luck 2014 is certainly doable.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    3-4 yrs. The jets gutted half the problem when they fired Tanny/Pettine/Sparano.. They should have let Ryan and Sanchez go to finish the whole deal.. Startover from scratch the right way and start winning now and next yr.. But the jets r doing it the wrong way jet fans... We will have to wait 4 a new coach and QB b4 jets compete again.. B patient i guess... This sux!!! ALL THIS MIXING & MATCHING

Jets need a new ............ to win the SB

Answer

Coach
    OC
    DC
    QB

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    +1