Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So when will the Jets be back in the playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    I'm not sold on Flynn, he didn't beat out a 3rd round pick so that makes me leery. Also, you can see that GB team was loaded when he played those 4 games and I'm not sure he will be able to duplicate that short term. That said, if his contract was negotiated to a potential starter role, then I would be ok in trading for him, but still trading Revis for draft picks in 2014. Because if Flynn isn't that dude, you need to draft one next year or potentially be out of the running for a couple of more years.
    I'm not completely sold on Flynn by any stretch but I think he is a low risk high reward proposition. Green Bay was not that loaded on O when he showed well. Rodgers makes that team flow. GB had Nelson, Jennings and nothing else in 2011. For Flynn to step in and put up a monster performance was impressive. Could he be another Scott Mitchell/Kevin Kolb type? Sure. That said the fact that Wilson beat him out doesn't bother me as much because Wilson clearly is a special talent and Carroll fell in love with the guy for good reason. Flynn to me seems like a good fit for MM's WCO. I think Flynn has a chance to replicate Matt Hasselbacks career and becomes a quality mid-level starter similar to guys like Bradford and Freeman.

I'm not sold on Flynn, he didn't beat out a 3rd round pick so that makes me leery. Also, you can see that GB team was loaded when he played those 4 games and I'm not sure he will be able to duplicate that short term. That said, if his contract was negotiated to a potential starter role, then I would be ok in trading for him, but still trading Revis for draft picks in 2014. Because if Flynn isn't that dude, you need to draft one next year or potentially be out of the running for a couple of more years.
    I'm not sold on Flynn either, BUT that 3rd round pick turned out to be one of the better QBs in the league last year.

If we had that kind of production from the QB position, we'd be a playoff team.

I agree on what you're saying, but most will not since there's so little actual footage of him playing in a meaningful game time role. All speculation. Both sides have points.
    Last edited by John_0515; 02-25-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

It's going to be tough to get average QB play from anyone with the offense constructed as is. The line isn't dominant like it was when we had Faneca and Woody, and the skill positions are scary to look at in comparison to other teams. "Average" Qbs like Schaub, Freeman, even a good one like Matt Ryan, those guys would fail hard here.

It'll take 2 quality drafts, devoted to offense, before we could get back into playoff contention IMO. Sucks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post

It'll take 2 quality drafts, devoted to offense, before we could get back into playoff contention IMO. Sucks.
    Right there is the correct answer.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    They need 5 players on O, 3 on D.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    I'm not completely sold on Flynn by any stretch but I think he is a low risk high reward proposition. Green Bay was not that loaded on O when he showed well. Rodgers makes that team flow. GB had Nelson, Jennings and nothing else in 2011. For Flynn to step in and put up a monster performance was impressive. Could he be another Scott Mitchell/Kevin Kolb type? Sure. That said the fact that Wilson beat him out doesn't bother me as much because Wilson clearly is a special talent and Carroll fell in love with the guy for good reason. Flynn to me seems like a good fit for MM's WCO. I think Flynn has a chance to replicate Matt Hasselbacks career and becomes a quality mid-level starter similar to guys like Bradford and Freeman.
    Bradford and Freeman? We already have one of them. His name is Mark Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Agree. But where will they get this QB? There is nobody of real quality in FA. And this draft stinks. I saw excitement on JI about Geno Smith. Sorry, he's a bum as a player.
    anyone is better at this point than sanchez.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourceworx View Post
    The fact that we won six games with as bad of an offense as the one we had, with the kind of God-awful QB play that we had, is a miracle. With a halfway competent QB, a decent RB, and Rex's defense, this team can win 9 or 10 (maybe even 11) games.
    Agreed. Im more concerned that while we still have Mangold, Brick etc...we need more OLINE help and we could actually be a contender in 2013.

We had basically NO DRAFT in 2010 and it is hurting us. A good draft, a few moves and who knows.

When do the Jets make the playoffs again ??

Never - don't you read these forums.

When Woody's 6 year old kid takes over the ownership.

well we know the jets wont be winning a afc east crown till at least 2018, with the pats extending brady for another 3 yrs.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    When do the Jets make the playoffs again ??

Never - don't you read these forums.
    I'm just counting the years of misery I have left, you know, like the Time Square ticker. lol

An experienced offensive coordinator will make a Hugh difference. Jets could easily make the playoffs next season. We are getting rid of some of the dead weight on defense and Jets will bring in some playmakers on offense to go along with already solid Offensive and Defensive lines. Jets will be a much improved team next season. Playoffs are within reach!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    All comes down to the QB position...

Rex's defense always gives us a shot, we just need something reasonable from that position.
    this - is all about the qb baby...

2014 or 15, I guess, but ...

Depends on the new QB and how quickly, if at all, he becomes a mediocre or above NFL QB, and if the aging defense is filled with promising talent. Really, it depends on a lot. The only thing we know for certain is 2013 won't be a playoff season. Not with Butt Fumble here.

Call me crazy, but I believe the Jets will make the playoffs next season. All the nonsense that all of us Jets fans see with the team, the Jets still have a top ten defense, it ranked 8th last season without their best defensive player.

ST is also very fixable in one offseason. A couple of players moves and a little better luck and they could easily be top notch again.

The offense is a problem, but if we can build the OL a little and add a RB, I think we could easily have a top ten running game again.

Add all of those things together and that should be good enough to get into the tournament. I would say something like 9-7 or 10-6. We are definitely not good enough to win it all, but good enough to stick around an additional week after the season ends.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Call me crazy, but I believe the Jets will make the playoffs next season. All the nonsense that all of us Jets fans see with the team, the Jets still have a top ten defense, it ranked 8th last season without their best defensive player.

ST is also very fixable in one offseason. A couple of players moves and a little better luck and they could easily be top notch again.

The offense is a problem, but if we can build the OL a little and add a RB, I think we could easily have a top ten running game again.

Add all of those things together and that should be good enough to get into the tournament. I would say something like 9-7 or 10-6. We are definitely not good enough to win it all, but good enough to stick around an additional week after the season ends.
    You need to stop eating this stuff:

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    There is a chance we could make the playoffs this year if we get average QB play (). Going from league-worst to average will make a huge difference.
    +1

I don't buy that we have as untalented a roster as many would have you think. We just have attrocious QB play. Put a solid QB on this team and we could easily make the playoffs this year... It's just going to be tough to find a solid QB.

We're not close to competing with the Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Broncos and Texans of the conference for a championship but we could easily get back into the mix as early as this year.
    Last edited by Austin; 02-26-2013 at 03:52 PM.

Thanx JoeDub! beans everywhere jack.. what a mess!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

Pretty much this. Assuming we keep Revis our defense will be top 5 and could be top ten without him. If, and its a big if, we get average QB play this year there is no reason we can't beat out a team like the Bengals/Steelers/Colts/Chargers for a playoff spot.

I wouldn't bet on it, but I won't go into next season expecting to win 4 games likes most fans on this board.