Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 74

Thread: Brooklyn Assembly Democrat Caught Wearing Black Face & Afro Wig!

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,849
    Post Thanks / Like

    Brooklyn Assembly Democrat Caught Wearing Black Face & Afro Wig!


    NY Assemblyman Stands By Blackface, Afro Costume

    http://www.timesunion.com/news/artic...me-4306410.php

    MICHAEL GORMLE
    Associated Press
    February 25, 2013

    ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) A veteran New York Assemblyman on Monday stood by his decision to wear blackface makeup, an Afro wig and a basketball jersey to a costume party in the face of criticism he called "political correctness to the absurd."

    Democratic Assemblyman Dov Hikind wrote on his blog Monday that he doesn't understand the criticism swirling around Albany and doesn't know why anyone would be offended by the costume he wore to a party he recently held at his home in Brooklyn to celebrate the Jewish holiday of Purim.

    Assemblyman Karim Camara of the state Black, Puerto Rican, Hispanic & Asian Legislative Caucus called Hikind's actions "callous and repugnant" and said his fellow lawmaker should apologize.

    "The history of the blackface minstrel show is something deeply painful in the African-American community," said Camera, a Brooklyn Democrat. "It brings back the memories of African-Americans being reduced to buffoonery just to gain access to the entertainment industry."

    Hikind hired a makeup artist and wore an orange basketball jersey, sunglasses and an Afro at the celebration that traditionally includes costumes.

    "I am intrigued that anyone who understands Purim or for that matter understands me would have a problem with this," said Hikind, a Jewish leader in New York. "This is political correctness to the absurd. There is not a prejudiced bone in my body."

    There was no immediate comment from the Assembly's Democrat majority where Hikind has been long been a rare conservative voice over 30 years.

    Earlier this month, Hikind criticized the fashion designer John Galliano, who was recently photographed in New York City dressing as a Hasid with a long jacket and curly sidelocks. Two years ago, Galliano was fired from Christian Dior after his anti-Semitic rant was caught on video.

    Hikind demanded an explanation from Galliano for his costume.

    "If it was just anyone else, I wouldn't know what to say. But considering who this guy is, considering his background and what he's said in the past, let him explain it to all of us: Are you mocking us?" Hikind told the New York Post.

    In Albany, Hikind has championed some conservative and religion-based issues. In 2009, he opposed an early vote to legalize same-sex marriage

    "It is about what I believe God wants," Hikind said then. "God doesn't flip-flop on an issue."
    I presume that Democrats will demand Hikind's resignation? Nah, he's a Democrat so he's OK. The newspaper has already started in on the political deflection calling Hikind a "conservative" - i.e. Republican.


  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,415
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's hard to believe that in this day and age people still don't get that it is offensive to do the black face thing. Why a politician would be that stupid is beyond me. I did find it amusing how the paper somehow attached the term Conservative to this Democrat from Brooklyn. I'm suprised that they neglected to mention that he was seen drinking TEA at the party "wink wink".

  3. #3
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    975
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    It's hard to believe that in this day and age people still don't get that it is offensive to do the black face thing.
    You say that as if it's a proven fact. What exactly is offensive about painting your face black?


    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Why a politician would be that stupid is beyond me.
    Now this i agree with. Part of being a politician is keeping abreast of the stupid things your constituency believes... it doesn't make them less stupid however.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,710
    Post Thanks / Like
    They play for the same team. He will get a pass. Just like when Maher uses the "C" word to describe women and Biden says "put y'all back in chains".
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 02-25-2013 at 03:21 PM.

  5. #5
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,599
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    They play for the same team. He will get a pass. Just like when Maher uses the "C" word to describe women and Biden says "put y'all back in chains".
    Exactly.


    -

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,415
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    You say that as if it's a proven fact. What exactly is offensive about painting your face black?




    Now this i agree with. Part of being a politician is keeping abreast of the stupid things your constituency believes... it doesn't make them less stupid however.
    I don't understand your question here. Black people take offense to it. It is well known. You don't wear Hitler costumes either. Its offensive. I'm not a politician or anyone in the public eye and I would never do such a thing. For a politician to do something like that is beyond stupid. I don't think the guy meant anything bad by it but now he has to make apologies and such and his political career is in jeopardy. All for wearing a tasteless costume.

    Now that we have established that the act was benign and no offense was meant, it will be interesting to see how the media treats this. If that guy were a R this would be the lead story on local news media across the country.

  7. #7
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    924
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is Doggin's take on this? Hikind claims that anything goes with Purim parade. Doggin would probably know best out of anyone here.

  8. #8
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,735
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can a black guy goes as a white guy?

    We needs some of this stuff written down.

    http://www.snotr.com/video/422/Eddie...oes_undercover



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGm5U11JTr8

  9. #9
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    975
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    I don't understand your question here. Black people take offense to it. It is well known. You don't wear Hitler costumes either. Its offensive.

    My question, or rather objection is that you seem to be asserting that if people are offended by A, then A is offensive. So i asked you, "why is it offensive". Wearing a Hitler costume is considered offensive because Hitler was a terrible person who did terrible things and responsible for the deaths of millions. painting your face black and wearing a noose around your neck would be offensive. But as there is nothing offensive about being black, i do not understand why a costume that includes darkening your skin ought be considered offensive.

    I think it's important to separate things that we as a nation (hell as a species) ought to be outraged and offended about, and things that are called "offensive" because of political BS, that ought to offend the people it's spewed at.

    Again, i agree it was stupid, because as a politician he requires the votes of those weak minded enough to be swayed by this type of attack. But it wasn't offensive.

  10. #10
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,599
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    My question, or rather objection is that you seem to be asserting that if people are offended by A, then A is offensive. So i asked you, "why is it offensive". Wearing a Hitler costume is considered offensive because Hitler was a terrible person who did terrible things and responsible for the deaths of millions. painting your face black and wearing a noose around your neck would be offensive. But as there is nothing offensive about being black, i do not understand why a costume that includes darkening your skin ought be considered offensive.

    I think it's important to separate things that we as a nation (hell as a species) ought to be outraged and offended about, and things that are called "offensive" because of political BS, that ought to offend the people it's spewed at.

    Again, i agree it was stupid, because as a politician he requires the votes of those weak minded enough to be swayed by this type of attack. But it wasn't offensive.
    The point being...if he was Republican, the media firestorm would melt the polar ice caps.

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,397
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    The point being...if he was Republican, the media firestorm would melt the polar ice caps.
    Luckily the 47% are forgiving.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,849
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    The point being...if he was Republican, the media firestorm would melt the polar ice caps.
    ^This^

    And the firestorm would be lead by Charles Barron.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz-MTsiRyc8


  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    The point being...if he was Republican, the media firestorm would melt the polar ice caps.
    He might as well be a Republican. He supported Romney, McCain and Bush twice along with Pataki.

    Hikind is a Conservative representing an Orthodox Jewish neighborhood. He isn't a liberal democrat, never was and doesn't fit the mold.

    The point being there are conservatives who are Democrats and Hikind is one of them. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 02-26-2013 at 08:29 AM.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,890
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    You say that as if it's a proven fact. What exactly is offensive about painting your face black?




    Now this i agree with. Part of being a politician is keeping abreast of the stupid things your constituency believes... it doesn't make them less stupid however.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minstrel_show

    Minstrel shows lampooned black people as dim-witted,[1] lazy,[1] buffoonish,[2][1] superstitious, happy-go-lucky,[1] and musical. The minstrel show began with brief burlesques and comic entr'actes in the early 1830s and emerged as a full-fledged form in the next decade. In 1848, blackface minstrel shows were the national art of the time, translating formal art such as opera into popular terms for a general audience.[3]

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,415
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    My question, or rather objection is that you seem to be asserting that if people are offended by A, then A is offensive. So i asked you, "why is it offensive". Wearing a Hitler costume is considered offensive because Hitler was a terrible person who did terrible things and responsible for the deaths of millions. painting your face black and wearing a noose around your neck would be offensive. But as there is nothing offensive about being black, i do not understand why a costume that includes darkening your skin ought be considered offensive.

    I think it's important to separate things that we as a nation (hell as a species) ought to be outraged and offended about, and things that are called "offensive" because of political BS, that ought to offend the people it's spewed at.

    Again, i agree it was stupid, because as a politician he requires the votes of those weak minded enough to be swayed by this type of attack. But it wasn't offensive.
    Jetdawg got it correct. In the 1800's there were these comedy shows involving people in black face that made fun of blacks and were mean spirited. Since then it is considered taboo or a reminder on those times to dress in black face. If I'm not mistaken these types of "shows" continued in to the early 20th century. I can understand if a European or foreigner did it. They might not be aware of the taboo. I don't think the act of dressing up as a 70's basketball star is offensive or meant to be. But the politician or his handlers should have been aware of the taboo. Perhaps because he is an orthodox jew he isn't exposed to the pop culture enough to have known it was considered offensive.

  16. #16
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    18,680
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    What is Doggin's take on this? Hikind claims that anything goes with Purim parade. Doggin would probably know best out of anyone here.
    Saying "anything goes" is stupid. As others have mentioned, Hikind wouldn't wear a Hitler costume, he wouldn't go as a pregnant nun or dozens of other offensive costumes. Its anything goes in the sense of people who generally live in a pious way dress up in various degrees of outlandish costumes.

    It doesn't give you a license to offend. And just like on Halloween, I'm sure there are costumes that lean towards being offensive in nature. But as a noteworthy politician, he doesn't have that luxury.

    Irrespective of whether black face SHOULD be considered offensive (it objectively is, whether you agree nor not), he shouldn't have done it and he's stupid for not understanding why it would be offensive. JMO, but the afro along with the basketball uniform would have been fine and acceptable.

    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    The point being...if he was Republican, the media firestorm would melt the polar ice caps.
    How much outrage would you consider enough?

  17. #17
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    975
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    The point being...if he was Republican, the media firestorm would melt the polar ice caps.
    I understand that was the point of the OP, and i admit my post was a bit of a derail. However it seems to me that the hypocrisy of (D) politics is not as concerning as those who are the victims of it buying into the false moral imperative of political correctness, especially when as it describes racial sensitivity.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    Thank you for the link, i was only peripherally aware of this issue. I understand (and better now that i've read it) that there have been instances when white men painting their faces black has been used to accomplish immoral objectives. I thought this line from Wikipedia was particularly interesting.
    "The minstrel show played a powerful role in shaping assumptions about blacks. However, unlike vehemently anti-black propaganda from the time, minstrelsy made this attitude palatable to a wide audience by couching it in the guise of well intentioned paternalism."
    This is a great way to phrase the issue. Ironically it also eloquently sums up most of the politics (D) supports regarding the issues of race today. Is there a better way to describe affirmative action than "well intentioned paternalism"? I doubt it.


    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Jetdawg got it correct. In the 1800's there were these comedy shows involving people in black face that made fun of blacks and were mean spirited. Since then it is considered taboo or a reminder on those times to dress in black face. If I'm not mistaken these types of "shows" continued in to the early 20th century. I can understand if a European or foreigner did it. They might not be aware of the taboo. I don't think the act of dressing up as a 70's basketball star is offensive or meant to be. But the politician or his handlers should have been aware of the taboo. Perhaps because he is an orthodox jew he isn't exposed to the pop culture enough to have known it was considered offensive.
    Again, i get it. It was a political blunder. It was stupid. I still don't think it was offensive, or racist. Yes, I'm sure this instance will represent a glaring example of (D) hypocrisy, but I'm unable to get too worked up about this, as the underlying issue is so poisonous to our culture.

  18. #18
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    924
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Saying "anything goes" is stupid. As others have mentioned, Hikind wouldn't wear a Hitler costume, he wouldn't go as a pregnant nun or dozens of other offensive costumes. Its anything goes in the sense of people who generally live in a pious way dress up in various degrees of outlandish costumes.

    It doesn't give you a license to offend. And just like on Halloween, I'm sure there are costumes that lean towards being offensive in nature. But as a noteworthy politician, he doesn't have that luxury.

    Irrespective of whether black face SHOULD be considered offensive (it objectively is, whether you agree nor not), he shouldn't have done it and he's stupid for not understanding why it would be offensive. JMO, but the afro along with the basketball uniform would have been fine and acceptable.



    How much outrage would you consider enough?
    I was more curious as to what this Purim parade is all about. Not familiar with this holiday.

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I am not a PC guy, but the blackface thing is in poor taste. And by a politician, totally unacceptable.

    Now, an Indian with a feather - that's ok.

  20. #20
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    18,680
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I was more curious as to what this Purim parade is all about. Not familiar with this holiday.
    I don't see a reference to a parade (unless I missed it) - Hikind had a Purim Party. Purim is a festive Jewish Holiday which is characterized by (in addition to reading the Megillah - the story of Esther), dressing up and drinking - in layman's parlance, the Jewish equivalent to Halloween.

    If you want to know the full background of the story of Purim, Wikipedia will give you more than you ever wanted to know:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purim

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us