Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eagles release cullen jenkins.

eagles release cullen jenkins.

The transformation of the Eagles continues. Veteran defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins, part of the much-balleyhooed 2011 Dream Team free-agent class, was released Monday.

Jenkins, 32, was set to make $5.5 million this season. He would have earned a $1 million bonus if he was on the roster March 15.

Jenkins restructured his deal last year. He was paid an $825,000 base salary, but received a $5 million fully guaranteed roster bonus. He will now count $1.5 million this season against the Eagles' salary cap.

The Eagles informed Jenkins of his release Monday. The decision is a combination of money and performance. Jenkins, who started all 32 games in his two years with the Eagles, had 9.5 sacks combined in the two seasons. He was a non-factor however for much of 2012.

"I had a chance to speak with Cullen today and let him know of our decision," general manager Howie Roseman said. "It's one of the most difficult parts of the job. He has been a very productive player in this league for a long time but we felt it in our team's best interests that we go in a different direction. By releasing him at this point, it gives he and his agent more time to sign on with another team. We wish Cullen and his family all the best as he continues his NFL career."

From the 2011 free-agent class, only Nnamdi Asomugha, Evan Mathis and Derek Landri remain. Gone are Jenkins, Jason Babin, Vince Young, Ronnie Brown, Steve Smith, Donald Lee, Ryan Harris, Anthony Hargrove and Jarrad Page. Asomugha could be next. His future is likely contingent on him agreeing to a substantial pay cut.

Jenkins had been in limbo. There was a strong belief after the season that his time with the team was over. The hiring of a new coach and the subsequent house cleaning the Eagles are in the midst of doing didn't bode well for an aging defensive end with a sizable salary, even if Jenkins did excel in a 3-4 defense in Green Bay. The Eagles are expected to switch to a version of the 3-4 defense this season.

It's clear now the Eagles will be looking for defensive ends in free agency or the draft. While last year's first-round pick Fletcher Cox projects well as a DE in a 3-4 defense, the Eagles don't appear to have anyone else other than possibly Mike Patterson on the roster capable of filling the role now that Jenkins was released.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Will he play for peanuts?

All Pro
    IBSSSTB (In Before Someone Says Sign This Beast)

@AdamSchefter: Hours after releasing DL Cullen Jenkins, Eagles now have released former first-round pick Mike Patterson, who intends to continue playing.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Patterson isn't healthy.

I'm very familiar with Jenkins being he played here but if there were a way the Jets would be able to sign him for a cap friendly salary? he'd be a very good pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Oofus View Post
    I'm very familiar with Jenkins being he played here but if there were a way the Jets would be able to sign him for a cap friendly salary? he'd be a very good pick up.
    cullen jenkins has never played for the jets.

All Pro
    We got Coples and Wilkerson who will play on passing downs, where Jenkins is most effective. He wouldnt add much and is on the downside.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    Was is cousins?

You're probably thinking of Kris Jenkins who has been retired for a couple years now after multiple ACL tears. Was good when he could stay on the field for you guys.

Godzilla Big Jenks was another beast entirely. If only he stayed healthy. Hoping Ellis could make the step and be Godzilla-lite

Ah, I know that lol you clearly didn't read my post, I didn't say he played for the Jets lol

He played for the Packers as well as the Eagles and I watch Eagle games so I know if he the Jets were able to sign him he'd be a good addition to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    You're probably thinking of Kris Jenkins who has been retired for a couple years now after multiple ACL tears. Was good when he could stay on the field for you guys.
    I don't know what is wrong with you OR Nike? LOL!!! I have been a Jet fan for a longtime and I know that KRIS JENKINS played for the Jets, I said if the Jets were able to sign CULLEN JENKINS he'd be a good fit to help the defense.

Do I make myself clear to both you and Nike now? lol

I don't know what is wrong with you OR Nike? LOL!!! I have been a Jet fan for a longtime and I know that KRIS JENKINS played for the Jets, I said if the Jets were able to sign CULLEN JENKINS he'd be a good fit to help the defense.

Do I make myself clear to both you and Nike now? lol
    theres what you said and here means jets this is a jets forum.

Talking

theres what you said and here means jets this is a jets forum.
    Dude, I'm from Philly I know exactly what I said as per my reply to that ford dude and I know this is a Jets forum but it's funny being told that from someone who's avie is of a Ravens player lol.

Dude, I'm from Philly I know exactly what I said as per my reply to that ford dude and I know this is a Jets forum but it's funny being told that from someone who's avie is of a Ravens player lol.
    lifelong jets fan here. fan of a great player who recently won a super bowl and retired just paying tribute dude.

Veteran
    The way you phrased it made it seem like you meant Kris. Nike's a doof, but he read what you wrote correctly.

Exclamation

lifelong jets fan here. fan of a great player who recently won a super bowl and retired just paying tribute dude.

That's cool, can't argue is play on the field at all, he's a 1st ballot HOF'er but he sucks for what went down in 2000 as we all know but I wouldn't hold it against him when it comes to anything on the field.

Lifelong Jets fan here too my friend

Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    The way you phrased it made it seem like you meant Kris. Nike's a doof, but he read what you wrote correctly.
    Oh gee lol another poster pontificating what I typed lol

Cool avie Bro, loved the flick Falling Down

Veteran
    Oh gee lol another poster pontificating what I typed lol

Cool avie Bro, loved the flick Falling Down
    Not pontificating. You're being a dick. Settle your jimmies.