Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: PeterKing: Tom Brady signs a contract that should make him a Patriot for life.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    That doesn't mean they will spend it. The Pats have played well below the cap before.
    All 32 teams are required to spend 88.7% of the cap each year.

When did the Pats spend "well below" the cap?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Considering the guaranteed money ends after the 2015 season, the reality is this is a 1 year extension and if Brady is still performing at a high enough level, I expect NE to tweak his contract after 2015.

According to King..."The Patriots can do this by guaranteeing his salaries for the next three and giving him much of the money in a chunk of a bonus right now. That, the source with knowledge of the contract said, is what the Patriots intend to do."

So his next 3 salaries are ....
    Bonus.....3
    ------------------
    Total guaranteed 29.5 mill paid up front getting him thru 2015.
    If NE wants to cut bait after 2015, they'll take a $12 mill cap charge.
    If Brady stays on with an unaltered contract for 2016 but opts out after 2016, the cap charge is down to $6 mill.
    So this Brady love fest is somewhat warranted, considering Brady will be playing 2015 for essentially 12.75 mill, a huge bargain for that year. How they proceed after that is the real question. Will Brady continue his bargain forward....or was this latest extension just a means to kick the cap can down the road. I suspect Kraft knows the inside numbers of how the cap will expand after this next flat cap phase winds down.

Comparing this new Brady extension to the contract Denver is about to trigger for Manning.....2 more years at $20mill guaranteed/year= $40 mill guaranteed, NE is definitely getting a $5mill per year savings now. The difference is Denver won't have cap carryover unless Manning restructures. NE will always have cap carryover unless Brady sticks to this new deal word for word. If he does.......wow......Pats will be flush with cash thru 2017.

PS....for those that believe that Brady is screwing over other QBs with this deal.....remember....the cap floor has been elevated to new heights....so the money will get paid to players, just not the QB. Will the Union really argue they want the QB to get the highest share vs a redistribution of the same amount. I don't think so
    Last edited by Redrew; 02-26-2013 at 09:37 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's easy to be magnanimous when you've already made a ton of money in salary, make a boatload in endorsements, and have a wife who make more $ than you. I would add, that the economic value of 1 more SB title for Brady far exceeds what he is giving up in salary.

That said, it is interesting to juxtapose the best player in the division willingly taking a pay cut to the Jets best player's desires to be paid in the top 5 of all defensive players after a season ending ACL injury.

Finally, I would note that if the Pats do not take that savings and get Brady a physically dominant WR (i.e. Boldin), Mrs Brady will likely put a hit on Coach Bellyache.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post

89% is well below the cap. Roll your eyes all you want.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure they ever have, but they need to take this money and use their draft picks to win now. The window is almost closed and it is clear Brady can not do it by himself. My plan would be to sign the best free agent FS available, re-sign Talib, and offer as many draft picks as it takes (all of them if necessary) for Larry Fitzgerald. If Fitz is not available, I'd offer a little less to KC for Dwayne Bowe.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    How many days did it take for you to post here again after The ***Cheats got spanked by the Ravens?
    One

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    It's easy to be magnanimous when you've already made a ton of money in salary, make a boatload in endorsements, and have a wife who make more $ than you. I would add, that the economic value of 1 more SB title for Brady far exceeds what he is giving up in salary.

That said, it is interesting to juxtapose the best player in the division willingly taking a pay cut to the Jets best player's desires to be paid in the top 5 of all defensive players after a season ending ACL injury.

Finally, I would note that if the Pats do not take that savings and get Brady a physically dominant WR (i.e. Boldin), Mrs Brady will likely put a hit on Coach Bellyache.
    It would be my guess that he got some promises made before he excepted the deal. I remember how unhappy he was when the Pats let all his receivers go before, and signed no one, and were still well under the cap. I'm not looking it up Tex, but it was when they traded Branch and let Givens go.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=IndianaJet;4820336]What he said......

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ut-brady-deal/

When I first heard about Peter Kingís report that the Patriots had signed quarterback Tom Brady to a three-year, $27 million extension, I assumed the deal was worth $27 million per year.

Itís not. For committing to the Patriots in the 2015, 2016, and 2017 seasons, Brady gets a total of $27 million.

It appears, as explained last night, to be nothing more than an effort to reduce Bradyís cap number in 2013 and 2014, the final two years of his existing deal. Itís hard to spread money over the years of a contract if the contract covers only two more seasons. Come 2015, the likely reality is that a new deal will be done ó after the appearance that Brady has taken less is used to squeeze other players into doing the same thing, which the Pats did masterfully last decade.

Still, teams and agents are looking at the numbers and wonder what else could be going on. Whispers of a side deals already have begun in league circles, even though there is (and likely will be) no proof of a wink-nod arrangement that will see Brady get compensated in other ways.

Sides deals arenít unprecedented in pro football. The Broncos lost a second-round pick, a third-round pick, and paid a $950,000 for violations relating to $29 million in deferred payments to John Elway and Terrell Davis during the teamís Super Bowl window of the late 1990s. Again, there is (and likely will be) no proof of a side deal in this case.

Now that more and more teams are pressed against the salary cap and trying to finagle spending space, suspicions of side arrangements and briefcases full of cash will return to the NFL ó even if no team is ever caught or is ever guilty.

In Bradyís case, the facts as presently known raise natural red flags. At a time when the high-water mater for quarterbacks is $20 million, the notion that Brady would commit to playing for less than half that average over a three-year window starting three seasons from now makes no sense.

At a minimum, agent Don Yee has provided his competitors with more than enough ammunition for the inherently cutthroat game of chasing new clients. At a maximum, teams and agents will probe for something/anything to explain why Tom Brady was willing to sign a contract that pays him so much less than heíll be worth starting two years from now.

Maybe, in the end, the explanation is that, given his wifeís obscene earnings, heís willing to take a lot less money in order to help that Pats stack the deck for another Super Bowl run or two.[\QUOTE]
    LMAO...was this written by the same hack who wrote that the mere fact that the Patriots winning % is so far above the statistical norm post-Spygate that it's "proof" they are still cheating?

Talk about media-hack speculation with ZERO facts to back up an outrageous claim. Ray Ray must be fuming mad!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post

LMAO...was this written by the same hack who wrote that the mere fact that the Patriots winning % is so far above the statistical norm post-Spygate that it's "proof" they are still cheating?

Talk about media-hack speculation with ZERO facts to back up an outrageous claim. Ray Ray must be fuming mad!
    One thing is true about that article - Don Yee may be doing himself a disservice here. Often times players desires are somewhat hamstrung by the pressures of their agent and the Players Association. I don't know much about Yee, but if it is his goal to court as many players as he can going forward, he may have put himself behind the 8 ball.

Of course, there's something to be said for an agent being able to say "I rep my guys based on their desires - even if I don't make the most money out of it....I will work for you, not the other way around."

I still think this raises the prospect of Welker coming back considerably. I can't help but think that it has to come up in the discussion - at some point - when Brady is talking about taking far less than MV, that he makes it known that he would like Welker back and the Pats now have more leeway to do so.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrew View Post
    Considering the guaranteed money ends after the 2015 season, the reality is this is a 1 year extension and if Brady is still performing at a high enough level, I expect NE to tweak his contract after 2015.

According to King..."The Patriots can do this by guaranteeing his salaries for the next three and giving him much of the money in a chunk of a bonus right now. That, the source with knowledge of the contract said, is what the Patriots intend to do."

So his next 3 salaries are ....
    Bonus.....3
    ------------------
    Total guaranteed 29.5 mill paid up front getting him thru 2015.
    If NE wants to cut bait after 2015, they'll take a $12 mill cap charge.
    If Brady stays on with an unaltered contract for 2016 but opts out after 2016, the cap charge is down to $6 mill.
    So this Brady love fest is somewhat warranted, considering Brady will be playing 2015 for essentially 12.75 mill, a huge bargain for that year. How they proceed after that is the real question. Will Brady continue his bargain forward....or was this latest extension just a means to kick the cap can down the road. I suspect Kraft knows the inside numbers of how the cap will expand after this next flat cap phase winds down.

Comparing this new Brady extension to the contract Denver is about to trigger for Manning.....2 more years at $20mill guaranteed/year= $40 mill guaranteed, NE is definitely getting a $5mill per year savings now. The difference is Denver won't have cap carryover unless Manning restructures. NE will always have cap carryover unless Brady sticks to this new deal word for word. If he does.......wow......Pats will be flush with cash thru 2017.

PS....for those that believe that Brady is screwing over other QBs with this deal.....remember....the cap floor has been elevated to new heights....so the money will get paid to players, just not the QB. Will the Union really argue they want the QB to get the highest share vs a redistribution of the same amount. I don't think so
    King did write that, but others have since reported its $60 million guaranteed over the next FIVE years, so I guess we'll have to wait until the announcement is official.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    One thing is true about that article - Don Yee may be doing himself a disservice here. Often times players desires are somewhat hamstrung by the pressures of their agent and the Players Association. I don't know much about Yee, but if it is his goal to court as many players as he can going forward, he may have put himself behind the 8 ball.

Of course, there's something to be said for an agent being able to say "I rep my guys based on their desires - even if I don't make the most money out of it....I will work for you, not the other way around."

I still think this raises the prospect of Welker coming back considerably. I can't help but think that it has to come up in the discussion - at some point - when Brady is talking about taking far less than MV, that he makes it known that he would like Welker back and the Pats now have more leeway to do so.
    May be true, but I hope that this wasn't a "I'll take a cut for Wes" kind of deal. I'm all for using the money on a top tier WR, but the stickler with Welker has been more about years than ,I believe. He's dropped a couple of high profile passes in the biggest moments the past two years so the "clutch" label has somewhat worn off Wes, even with his prolific numbers. I hope they decide Hernandez can be a great slot guy (keeping in mind they should have a healthy Ballard as a #2/#3 TE) and maybe sign Wallace for the outside.

But certainly, with this added cap relief, the Pats are now in the position to lock up Wes, Talib, and Vollmer as well.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    89% is well below the cap. Roll your eyes all you want.
    So show me specifically what year or years the Pats only spent the league minimum?

I love how you always just make things up to make you feel better.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    But certainly, with this added cap relief, the Pats are now in the position to lock up Wes, Talib, and Vollmer as well.
    Even with the additional cap relief, I don't think the Pats have enough $$$ to sign all 3 of these players.

My guess? The Pats resign Vollmer to an extension, tag Talib and let Welker walk.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even with the additional cap relief, I don't think the Pats have enough $$$ to sign all 3 of these players.

My guess? The Pats resign Vollmer to an extension, tag Talib and let Welker walk.
    Welker has outlived his usefulness to the Pats. His head is way too big for a guy who does not come down with game-changing catches and all to often has one hit him right in his little girl sized hands without making the catch.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Two reports yesterday said WW may be looking at a 5 yr/$40 mill deal from NE. Then Reiss reported Brady sentiments after his extension were..."As sources indicated to colleague Mike Reiss, Brady's willingness to sign the team-friendly deal was due in part to the fact that he believed the money saved would be put toward adding personnel to improve the team's chances of winning."

It's a done deal. Welker will be back

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure they ever have, but they need to take this money and use their draft picks to win now. The window is almost closed and it is clear Brady can not do it by himself. My plan would be to sign the best free agent FS available, re-sign Talib, and offer as many draft picks as it takes (all of them if necessary) for Larry Fitzgerald. If Fitz is not available, I'd offer a little less to KC for Dwayne Bowe.
    That's exactly what I want the Pats to do!

I hope you are right.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welker has outlived his usefulness to the Pats. His head is way too big for a guy who does not come down with game-changing catches and all to often has one hit him right in his little girl sized hands without making the catch.
    I'm probably in the minority of Pats fans on the Welker situation.

But I agree with you, it's time to move on from Welker.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    #2 in receptions
    #1 in YAC
    Top 8 in most every statistical category
    Most productive WR in past 5 years......

Yeah....why would he think he's deserving of a top 10 contract for WRs

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrew View Post
    #2 in receptions
    #1 in YAC
    Top 8 in most every statistical category
    Most productive WR in past 5 years......

Yeah....why would he think he's deserving of a top 10 contract for WRs
    The worst thing teams can do in the NFL is pay players based on their past performance.

With that great production, how many Super Bowls have the Pats won with Welker? He makes one tough catch and he has a ring.

Pats are better going with WR's to open the field up like they did when they had Moss.

Hernandez would be more than adequate working out of the slot with an open middle of the field..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    The worst thing teams can do in the NFL is pay players based on their past performance.

With that great production, how many Super Bowls have the Pats won with Welker? He makes one tough catch and he has a ring.

Pats are better going with WR's to open the field up like they did when they had Moss.

Hernandez would be more than adequate working out of the slot with an open middle of the field..
    Hernandez will want WR money.

Did they re-sign him last year? If so, what were the numbers on it?