Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: PeterKing: Tom Brady signs a contract that should make him a Patriot for life.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Hernandez will want WR money.

Did they re-sign him last year? If so, what were the numbers on it?
    He's signed through 2018.

On Monday, the Patriots agreed to terms on a five-year contract extension with tight end Aaron Hernandez that could keep him in New England through the 2018 season.

The following are the contract details broken down by season, provided by a league source. The extension includes a $12.5 million signing bonus, $16 million in guaranteed money, and a maximum value of $40 million in additional money.

(One additional note on the bonus: it will be paid out over three installments. Hernandez will receive $6 million up front, $3.25 million in March of 2013, and $3.25 million more in March of 2014).

2012 season
    Base salary: $540,000 (guaranteed)
    Roster bonus: $104,000
    Signing bonus: $12.5 million (prorated)

2013 season
    Base salary: $1.323 million (guaranteed for injury only. This will become fully guaranteed if Hernandez is on the roster in March of 2013)
    Roster bonus: $118,000
    Offseason workout bonus: $82,000 (non-guaranteed)

2014 season
    Base salary: $1.2 million ($1.137 million of which is guaranteed for injury only. This will become fully guaranteed if Hernandez is on the roster in March of 2013)
    Offseason workout bonus: $500,000 (guaranteed if Hernandez is on the roster in March of 2013)
    Additional bonus: $500,000 if named to the Pro Bowl

2015 season
    Base salary: $2.3 million (non-guaranteed)
    Offseason workout bonus: $500,000 (non-guaranteed)
    Roster bonus: $31,250 for each game he is on the 46-man game-day roster. (Up to $500,000 for a full 16-game season).
    Additional bonus: $500,000 (if named to the Pro Bowl)

2016 season
    Base salary: $5 million (non-guaranteed)
    Roster bonus: $31,250 for each game he is on the 46-man game-day roster. (Up to $500,000 for a full 16-game season).

2017 season
    Base salary: $6 million (non-guaranteed)

2018 season

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...ndez-extension

From Reiss at ESPN Boston......

The details are in for quarterback Tom Brady's new contract, laid out below.

The deal includes a $30 million signing bonus for the quarterback, which will be paid out over a period that extends to March 15, 2015, according to a league source. Brady will earn $10 million of that signing bonus during the 2013 season, $5 million in a payment on March 15, 2014, $10 million during the 2014 season, and $5 million on March 15, 2015.

Brady's salary for 2013 and 2014 are now $1 million and $2 million respectively, and are fully guaranteed. His old deal was scheduled to pay him $9.75 million in base salary for each of those seasons.

Brady's salary for 2015, 2016, 2017 are $7 million, $8 million, and $9 million, which are fully guaranteed for injury only. That means that if Brady is released because of an injury, he will still be paid that money. In the unlikely event that he were released due to skill considerations, he would not be paid that money.

Regarding Brady's salary cap charges, the breakdown is as follows:

2013: $13.8 million
    2014: $14.8 million
    2015: $13 million
    2016: $14 million
    2017: $15 million

The annual salaries for the final three years as well as the salary cap charges for the life of the contract are consistent with what has been laid out already, though the $30 million signing bonus is of note.

In examining the life of the contract, it's a five-year deal with a maximum value of $57 million, $33 million of which is guaranteed no matter what, with the $24 million leftover likely to be seen should Brady continue to perform at his expected level.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    So show me specifically what year or years the Pats only spent the league minimum?

I love how you always just make things up to make you feel better.
    You brought up the 89%. What part of I'm not looking it up didn't you understand? It's been in countless articles that the Pats always have cap space, and they never pay their WRs. You're the troll. If you want to dispute that, you look it up. If it were about the Jets I would know all the facts. You probably would too, since you know more about, and spend more time talking about the Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrew View Post
    #2 in receptions
    #1 in YAC
    Top 8 in most every statistical category
    Most productive WR in past 5 years......

Yeah....why would he think he's deserving of a top 10 contract for WRs
    Will be 32 years old in 2013; 34th in TD receptions; 24th in 20+yard plays. And do you actually think he will be a better player at 32 than he was at 29? The guy is a classic "compiler". He does nothing elite (other than previously having elite speed), plays in a passing offense where he is the number one option at WR, and has a HOF QB throwing to him.

The proof is in the fact than he has been thrown more "catchable" passes than any other player in the NFL over the past 3 seasons -- 363. The next guy has 330, and there are only 4 guys, including Welker, at 300 or more. How often do you see a highlight of Welker making an incredible catch? Yeah, I must have missed them too. His drop rate of 8.81% is far from elite. By comparison Larry Fitzgerald's is 3.27%, and Welker's teammates Branch and Gaffney had better rates, 6.06% and 5.08%, respectively.

Anyone want to venture to guess what Fitzgerald would have accomplished over the past 3 seasons if thrown 88 more catchable balls over the past 3 seasons?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ide-receivers/

The worst thing teams can do in the NFL is pay players based on their past performance.

With that great production, how many Super Bowls have the Pats won with Welker? He makes one tough catch and he has a ring.

Pats are better going with WR's to open the field up like they did when they had Moss.

Hernandez would be more than adequate working out of the slot with an open middle of the field..
    Tex, if you and I ran the Pats, they'd have 8 SB wins by now.

At least we season ticket holders don't have to expect a playoff invoice until at least 2018. Sort of a silver lining .. save money, but no playoff home games.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrew View Post
    Two reports yesterday said WW may be looking at a 5 yr/$40 mill deal from NE. Then Reiss reported Brady sentiments after his extension were..."As sources indicated to colleague Mike Reiss, Brady's willingness to sign the team-friendly deal was due in part to the fact that he believed the money saved would be put toward adding personnel to improve the team's chances of winning."

It's a done deal. Welker will be back
    How is "keeping" an older Welker "adding" personnel to "improve"? Re-signing Welker is maintaining the status quo (at best) since he will clearly not be better at 32 than he was at 31.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Will be 32 years old in 2013; 34th in TD receptions; 24th in 20+yard plays. And do you actually think he will be a better player at 32 than he was at 29? The guy is a classic "compiler". He does nothing elite ]
    Did someone call me?? Oh Welker never mind..

Banned
    Tex, if you and I ran the Pats, they'd have 8 SB wins by now.
    I think you and I would have done things differently.

What I don't understand is fans (of any team) who think it it worthwhile to pay players based on what they have done in the past. Kinda like they "owe" them something.

That's totally ridiculous and that's exactly how teams get stuck with crappy contracts in the future.

The point you make in your last post is dead-on. Based on Welker's advancing age and lack of "big play" production, that should not lead to a contract extension. It would be a dumb move.

It is imperative the Pats get Brady 1, if not 2, legitimate downfield WR's this year. They haven't had that since Randy Moss.

With the improvement of a down-field passing game, it would totally minimize the loss of Welker.

Jets Insider VIP
    Not sure they ever have, but they need to take this money and use their draft picks to win now. The window is almost closed and it is clear Brady can not do it by himself. My plan would be to sign the best free agent FS available, re-sign Talib, and offer as many draft picks as it takes (all of them if necessary) for Larry Fitzgerald. If Fitz is not available, I'd offer a little less to KC for Dwayne Bowe.
    That's exactly what I want the Pats to do!

I hope you are right.
    That's really the only reasonable option and I don't know why they haven't done it already in the past. But they still can now. They have to go all-in on the next 2 years while they still have a good Brady.

For BB & Brady's legacy, they need a swang song championship like Jeter got in 2009.

Jets Insider VIP
    I think you and I would have done things differently.

What I don't understand is fans (of any team) who think it it worthwhile to pay players based on what they have done in the past. Kinda like they "owe" them something.

That's totally ridiculous and that's exactly how teams get stuck with crappy contracts in the future.

The point you make in your last post is dead-on. Based on Welker's advancing age and lack of "big play" production, that should not lead to a contract extension. It would be a dumb move.

It is imperative the Pats get Brady 1, if not 2, legitimate downfield WR's this year. They haven't had that since Randy Moss.

With the improvement of a down-field passing game, it would totally minimize the loss of Welker.
    I agree with you, but with a caveat--the "owe" part rightfully comes into play with still productive, but older championship players. It fits into the notion of, "we won with this guy before, we can win again with him."

Of course, there can't be a precipitous drop in production or injury issues.

I wouldn't bring Welker back either because as said, even with the production, he's come up small in big spots and they're better off getting that production elsewhere from either a younger or more dynamic receiver.

How is "keeping" an older Welker "adding" personnel to "improve"? Re-signing Welker is maintaining the status quo (at best) since he will clearly not be better at 32 than he was at 31.
    He is a FA. He is not on the team. If he signs, he will be added to the team. Simple concept...try to keep up
    As far as your "clearly won't be better at 32 than 31".....please tell me how you know such things.
    While we all wait for that explanation, lets try this....If Gronk stays healthy and Edelman returns to spell WW from time to time, will you consider an 85 catch season from WW as a sign of slippage? Of course you would....because you prefer basic examinations of facts.

He's signed through 2018.

On Monday, the Patriots agreed to terms on a five-year contract extension with tight end Aaron Hernandez that could keep him in New England through the 2018 season.

The following are the contract details broken down by season, provided by a league source. The extension includes a $12.5 million signing bonus, $16 million in guaranteed money, and a maximum value of $40 million in additional money.

(One additional note on the bonus: it will be paid out over three installments. Hernandez will receive $6 million up front, $3.25 million in March of 2013, and $3.25 million more in March of 2014).

2012 season
    Base salary: $540,000 (guaranteed)
    Roster bonus: $104,000
    Signing bonus: $12.5 million (prorated)

2013 season
    Base salary: $1.323 million (guaranteed for injury only. This will become fully guaranteed if Hernandez is on the roster in March of 2013)
    Roster bonus: $118,000
    Offseason workout bonus: $82,000 (non-guaranteed)

2014 season
    Base salary: $1.2 million ($1.137 million of which is guaranteed for injury only. This will become fully guaranteed if Hernandez is on the roster in March of 2013)
    Offseason workout bonus: $500,000 (guaranteed if Hernandez is on the roster in March of 2013)

2015 season
    Base salary: $2.3 million (non-guaranteed)
    Additional bonus: $500,000 (if named to the Pro Bowl)

2016 season
    Base salary: $5 million (non-guaranteed)

2017 season

2018 season

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...ndez-extension
    Once again, the Pats make out big on this contract.

His agent reportedly wanted WR money at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    yeah, Ugg, the dodge Dart and Movado watches, Stetson, and Nike (everybody)
    and Sirius radio. Nothing like Manning or Brees, especially in light of him being connected to the fashion industry.
    Don't forget Under Amour, he actually has ownership stakes in both Under Amour and UGGS. He actually is one of the higher endorsed athletes in football. ,

But never mind that, this is all fuzzy money. I would love to say Brady is taking half of what his market value is for the good of the team. But That is not the case, its just moving guarantees around, and extending contracts. He is getting more money guaranteed, and freeing up cap space, still a good soldier, and definitely helping the Pats, but the man is still getting his money.

Quote Originally Posted by PETER PAT View Post
    Don't forget Under Amour, he actually has ownership stakes in both Under Amour and UGGS. He actually is one of the higher endorsed athletes in football. ,

But never mind that, this is all fuzzy money. I would love to say Brady is taking half of what his market value is for the good of the team. But That is not the case, its just moving guarantees around, and extending contracts. He is getting more money guaranteed, and freeing up cap space, still a good soldier, and definitely helping the Pats, but the man is still getting his money.
    He's still leaving money on the table based on his market value, though. The Broncos are ponying up (pun intended) $58 million guaranteed for 2 years of Peyton's services. The Pats are lined up to get 5 years of Brady's services for roughly that amount.

Welker has outlived his usefulness to the Pats. His head is way too big for a guy who does not come down with game-changing catches and all to often has one hit him right in his little girl sized hands without making the catch.
    Absurd thinking. Welker still moves the chains at an elite level, name a better slot WR in the league. What the Pats need is an outside WR who can get separation who can complement the other myriad of weapons the Pats have.

I find it funny that whenever a Pats fan dares to speculate about the Jets FO and their intentions on this board, they get attacked as knowing "nothing about the Jets." And yet, here they are, Jets fans coming out of the woodwork saying they know exactly what is good for the Pats, what they are going to do, how predictable they are, they could have brought them 10 straight Lombardis if they were Belichick.

It's laughable. It's the equivalent of the perennial C student in high school who tries to trash talk the A student because he failed to get an A+ on every straight test he took. It makes the C student feel a bit better about being a C student.

The better posters on this board don't care about the A student and want to earn better grades themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Absurd thinking. Welker still moves the chains at an elite level, name a better slot WR in the league. What the Pats need is an outside WR who can get separation who can complement the other myriad of weapons the Pats have.

I find it funny that whenever a Pats fan dares to speculate about the Jets FO and their intentions on this board, they get attacked as knowing "nothing about the Jets." And yet, here they are, Jets fans coming out of the woodwork saying they know exactly what is good for the Pats, what they are going to do, how predictable they are, they could have brought them 10 straight Lombardis if they were Belichick.

It's laughable. It's the equivalent of the perennial C student in high school who tries to trash talk the A student because he failed to get an A+ on every straight test he took. It makes the C student feel a bit better about being a C student.

The better posters on this board don't care about the A student and want to earn better grades themselves.
    And yet you have no problem jumping on your pedestal to tell all of us that you know better?

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    And yet you have no problem jumping on your pedestal to tell all of us that you know better?

LOL
    Honestly, you're not part of this issue. I only have issue with those who claim they know exactly what the Pats are doing or want to do. I have problems with your spin on Pats' news, but you attack Pats fans with the same level of objectivity you attack your fellow Jets fans.

The Brady extension is a good thing for the team, same way you told this board how great the Sanchez extension was, it's the same concept. The Pats simply gambled on a more sure bet. The Jets gambled and are losing so far, the GM admittedly got fired for it.

We'll see how it ends, but there's no need to slam the Pats because they made a wise move. Better to not say anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Honestly, you're not part of this issue. I only have issue with those who claim they know exactly what the Pats are doing or want to do. I have problems with your spin on Pats' news, but you attack Pats fans with the same level of objectivity you attack your fellow Jets fans.

The Brady extension is a good thing for the team, same way you told this board how great the Sanchez extension was, it's the same concept. The Pats simply gambled on a more sure bet. The Jets gambled and are losing so far, the GM admittedly got fired for it.

We'll see how it ends, but there's no need to slam the Pats because they made a wise move. Better to not say anything at all.
    Each of the Pats boards that I go to have anti-Jets threads that have hundreds or even thousands of posts. Lack of objectivity is a two way street.

Btw, the latest silly argument against Brady's move that I've heard, the first was that his wife makes enough that he can afford it, is that if he was really magnanimous he would play for the veteran minimum. That would save the Pats even more money. It would also bring the conspiracy theorists out of the woodwork. It would also probably get Goody reaching for his whip.

Jets Insider VIP
    who cares really

the ticking clock will be quickly running out on the aging queer by the end of 2014 at the latest (already showing signs of flinching at the first sign of a pass rush)

and then we can all enjoy the Pats decade or more in the basement as they search (LOLphins like) for the NEXT BRADY...

hint... for my pats pals --- it isn't million dollar arm, ten cent brain Jeff George II, your current back up)