Thread: How would you build a team?

How would you build a team?

Seeing the posts here it is always interesting when we are not getting Pat trolled or having a flame war between two posters, to see the greatly differing philosophies that guide the posts made by people and how that shapes their opinions on players, and roster moves.

So I thought it would be interesting to see where people stand on how they would build a football team. Not specific to rebuilding the 2013 Jets but a higher overall 50,000 foot view, and how a team should be structured to build a champion.

I will start:

Team alignment: Biased towards offense

Offensive Philosophy: Up tempo, no huddle oriented passing biased offense with deep pass elements

Defensive alignment: Hybrid 3-4 with emphasis on big nickel and dime packages. Versatile ends that can play 4-3 end or 3-4 OLB as needed

Head coach: Offensive minded, progressive

GM: Personnel oriented geared towards building through the draft

Free agents: Limited, almost never go after top tier high ticket free agents, hire depth and value free agents to supplement draft needs

Trades: Limited. Greatly preferred to trade players for more picks as opposed to picks for players

Third contracts: Extremely limited to franchise QBs and impact players at critical positions

Draft: Most important element of building a team. Preference to trading down to get more picks than trading up for a certain player which puts too much pressure on the pick being right. No package too big for franchise QB if situation arises

Cap: hard cap emphasis. Roster bonuses favored over signing bonuses. Restructuring only for critical key players such as a franchise QB

So as you can see I was not very aligned with the Jets under Ryan/Tannenbaum. I am hoping Idzik brings us closer to the formula I believe leads to winning.

Sounds like you want to be the Patriots.

Hall Of Fame
    From the inside out. With the battles at the LOS.

For a HC I would just want one who is balanced in their approach. Wouldn't hurt to have a guy who is QB-centric.

GM would absolutely be a personnel guy.

Offensive philosophy would be balanced but always suited towards my QBs strengths. I would prefer an accurate pocket passer that has enough mobility to move when he needs to.

Defensive philosophy would be multiple but I would probably lean towards having 4 down linemen. Whatever it takes to get a conventional pass rush (duh )

I would want my salary tier to look something like this:
    QB
    LT/DE(OLB)/WR
    DT/RT/CB
    TE/RB
    G/C/S/ILB
    STs

All Pro
    I follow the Tony Dungy Model on Defense but i gotta have a Smart QB who can make all the throws and a OC who can run WCO.

QB
    LT
    OC
    RB

DEs
    NT
    MLB

I fill in around that.

Jets Insider VIP
    I would get as many rookies on the field as possible in 2013. Draft players that have talent but are not ready to be stars in their first season. Have another great draft in 2014 with a QB as #1.

Cheat. Like the Pats do. Just try not to get caught doing it.

Starting 11 on both sides in order of importance:

Trenches: 5 OL and 3-4 DL (LT, NT, RT, C, DE, DE, LG, RG)
    QB
    LOLB & ROLB
    WR1
    RB
    WR2
    LCB
    RCB
    LILB & RILB
    SS
    FS
    WR3
    WR4/FB/RB2

Of course, if you have the ability to get a Peyton or Revis or AdP, etc...you take them out of order.

I'd shy away from an offensive philosophy until I see the players. I've always been in favor of passing, even before the past 10-12 years of its emergence. However, if my team looked like AdP, the browns receiving corp, and Alex Smith, I'm leaning towards the WCO with a heavy run emphasis. Give me the Bears O personnel, and I'm running more Run and Gun...