Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For Fun... (QB scenario)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    The pats put a 2nd rd tender because he was an udfa, if you don't put that level tender you do not get any compensation if he walks. Hoyer was stuck Behind Brady and would have welcomed an offer to play somewhere else, Once BB was confident that mallet progressed enough in his development he let Hoyer go.

Just because you don't value it, does not mean other teams do not. And my point was not just learning from a pro staff, it was him handling himself as a professional for two years. It was this quality that teams felt he lacked as a rookie coming out of college. Being a NFL good citizen, attending all the OTAs, not getting arrested or going out partying with gronk. those are the things that make GMs believe that he has addressed those issues.

Bargaining power? What bargaining power are you talking about? Mallet makes 530,000 next year. The following year he will make 2.1mill. If no team wants him this offseason he backs up Brady. paying a guy 3 mill to back up a qb for three years is certainly very reasonable. Why do you think that the pats would not pay Mallet 2 mill to back up Brady? That is not a lot of money, less than Tebow, Moore and Tavaris Jackson the other 3 back ups in the division.

Hoyer got cut and no teams picked him up, so what's that say about his perceived vs real value? The Pats obviously thought he was worth something.

If the pats wasted a pick on Mallet, it was only because they were fortunate that Brady did not get hurt. I never want to see Mallet in the game, I want Brady in it.

Polian, Lombardi, Jimmy Johnson, and Cowher all said he was a first rd talent, that is good enough for me.
    You can twist the Hoyer situation your way and I can twist it my way.
    But in the end he had no value to any other team except the Pats. All the Patriot fans who came here told us otherwise, boasting that just like Cassel the Pats would get a 2nd rounder for him. Just like now how (an unproven) Mallet has greater value today than when he was drafted...

Why pay your backup $2M to sit the bench only to let him walk the next year. Plus BB is cheap, by then they will have another young QB on the roster and Mallet will be expendable.

BB for as smart as he is, he sometimes makes real boneheaded decisions when it comes to the draft.

If the Pats were smart, they would have kept Hoyer, saved money and used that 3rd round pick on one of the many holes they have on defense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just take Tyler Bray instead.....Would rather draft EJ Manuel or Tyler Wilson as well

Also would rather trade for Foles

NE won't deal him to us anyway so it's a non-issue

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are missing the point of the question.

And to all those that feel a guy like Foles, or the class 2013 expendables are a better option than Ryan Mallet... well, I suggest you folks go back and visit some of the tape and tangibles.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought Mallet was the best QB of that draft class. He has size and has a great arm.

The question I have though, is he still a wigger?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    I thought Mallet was the best QB of that draft class. He has size and has a great arm.

The question I have though, is he still a wigger?
    Big arm, but dumb as rocks, Byron Leftwich like slow release, and Marcus Russell like character concerns. He's been sitting the bench and the reports have been pretty mixed from what I've read.

Newton, Dalton and Kaepernick are all well on their way to being better pros.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    You can twist the Hoyer situation your way and I can twist it my way.
    But in the end he had no value to any other team except the Pats. All the Patriot fans who came here told us otherwise, boasting that just like Cassel the Pats would get a 2nd rounder for him. Just like now how (an unproven) Mallet has greater value today than when he was drafted...

Why pay your backup $2M to sit the bench only to let him walk the next year. Plus BB is cheap, by then they will have another young QB on the roster and Mallet will be expendable.

BB for as smart as he is, he sometimes makes real boneheaded decisions when it comes to the draft.

If the Pats were smart, they would have kept Hoyer, saved money and used that 3rd round pick on one of the many holes they have on defense.
    First, it would have been up to Hoyer whether to stay with the pats or not he would have been a FA last year and most certainly have tried to find a starting job, or at least a back up to a less succeusfull qb.

I am not twisting it anyway, Hoyer was given a rfa tender in April 2011 to keep him on the team in case Mallet did not show enough in TC to insure Bill that he could do the job. If a team would have signed him Bill would not have matched but that does not mean that he did not want him availble ifneed be.

Yes the pats could have used the pick on another player, But BB thought that if Brady went down for a year or for any significant time, Mallet being the backup would give the pats a better chance than what Hoyer would give.
    To say that the pick is wasted is only because Brady did not get hurt. If Brady got hurt and the pats won 3 out of 4 games with Mallet, TV people would scream that it was another example of "BB's genius" Why did Walsh trade a #2 and a #4 for Steve Young to sit behind Montana- becasue if Montana went down he thought Young gave him a better chance. if Montana never got injured would it have been a waste of picks?

Your confusing Patriot fans for the team. They are jets fans who think that Revis is going to get the jets multiple 1st rd picks, I would not say the the jets are thinking they are going to get multiple picks because some fans post nonsense.

I never said that Mallet was worth a 2nd rd pick or any pick, a jet fan did. I offered up a scenario when it could be construed that this player's perceived value increased even though he did not play.

You then infered that only patriot fans had him ranked as a first rd talent, i gave you 3 Hall of Fame GMs or coaches with personnel power that said Mallet was at that level, along with the New GM of the Cleveland Browns. Never mind draftnicks such as Mayock, Kiper, etc.

What do you mean BB is cheap? BB pays the backups on his team more than most GMs, In another thread jet fans were calling him cheap for not going after big time FA and spending the cap money on a bunch of reserve players.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Big arm, but dumb as rocks, Byron Leftwich like slow release, and Marcus Russell like character concerns. He's been sitting the bench and the reports have been pretty mixed from what I've read.

Newton, Dalton and Kaepernick are all well on their way to being better pros.
    he does not have a slow release, where the hell did you get that from? Watch some you tube video of him in preseason, i actually think his release is pretty quick.

The criticism is that he took more time to decide what throw to make, but not his speed of his release, All tall guys like Kapernick, Brady, Ben have slower releases than guys like Wilson, Brees as the arc of the arm is longer.

Marcus Russel character concerns, no he did not. Russell was lazy and football was not important to him. Mallet just liked to party and was rumored to do coke at parties. He always gave the effort in practice, go and look what Petrino said of him.