Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Fun... (QB scenario)

All Pro

For Fun... (QB scenario)

In all honestly, I don't think we draft anyone meaningful this year, BUT... would you rather;

Draft a scrub this year in the 3rd round, say a Tyler Wilson or Nassib etc.

OR

Trade a 3rd round pick to NE for Mallet (interdivisional trading rules aside)

I still got bonners for Mallet, man. Get me that bazooka arm.

Ryan Mallett - QB - Patriots
    NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Monday that the Patriots are expected to "entertain offers" for Ryan Mallett on the heels of Tom Brady's contract extension.
    The Pats have Brady (cheaply) locked in for the next five seasons, and Mallett's rookie deal runs out in 2015. "I think it means he's gonna be traded," Rapoport said of Mallett. The Browns seem likely to at least explore the possibility of a trade, and might be the team Bill Belichick calls first. We suspect Mallett would be available for a second-rounder. Cleveland does not have a second-rounder in April's draft, but could either put together a package of 2013 picks or offer a second-round selection from a future draft.

i would take nassib in the 3rd. i think this guy has some potential and wouldn't be surpassed if he goes in round 2

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PrivateJoker6 View Post
    i think this guy has some potential
    That's just it. Some potential.

C'mon JI! How did we get here? huh? How did we become a nation of fans that a middle round QB prospect (at best) becomes someone of intrigue. Look at me - I'm jerking off the patriots back up.

Sad state of affairs.

I wager that the 2013 QB class produces 1 viable starter.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post

C'mon JI! How did we get here? huh? How did we become a nation of fans that a middle round QB prospect (at best) becomes someone of intrigue. Look at me - I'm jerking off the patriots back up.

Sad state of affairs.

Every prospect has just that--POTENTIAL. No one is a sure thing.

Mallet is not a WCO type of guy. I wonder if Cleveland or Jacksonville make a play for a condtional choice.

Why would Mallett net them a 2nd rounder? Not to get sidetracked from the original question but what has this guy done in the pros to warrant a 2nd round pick?

I liked Mallett plenty coming out of Arkansas I just find it hard to believe NE can get a 2nd for him

Sad state of affairs.

What's great about the NFL draft is that when it's obvious that this is probably the case, 3 HOF QBs emerge. LOL.

None drafted by the Jets, BTW.

I hope you're right only if we don't draft a QB.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by chrebetCT1192 View Post
    Why would Mallett net them a 2nd rounder? Not to get sidetracked from the original question but what has this guy done in the pros to warrant a 2nd round pick?

I liked Mallett plenty coming out of Arkansas I just find it hard to believe NE can get a 2nd for him
    Well, no QB in the draft has done anything at the pro-level. So that argument about what Mallet has done vs the draftees is pretty moot - but more so when you consider the competition Mallet faces in comparison, it makes a pretty strong case. You could draft captain inconsistent in round 2 or 3, or take a guy who has the physical pedigree and has been groomed for 2 years under brady in NE... I dunno. I'd be stroking my chin.

Sad state of affairs.

Mallet only has "some potiental" too.

Hall Of Fame
    Well, no QB in the draft has done anything at the pro-level. So that argument about what Mallet has done vs the draftees is pretty moot - but more so when you consider the competition Mallet faces in comparison, it makes a pretty strong case. You could draft captain inconsistent in round 2 or 3, or take a guy who has the physical pedigree and has been groomed for 2 years under brady in NE... I dunno. I'd be stroking my chin.
    You could make the same case for trading for Foles. He does have a very small body of work, but still a huge question mark. Probably would cost a little more than Mallet though.

I agree with you I would rather swap out the 3rd for Mallet. I have concerns on his maturity though. I went to Arkansas a couple months back for their senior day, people down there love Tyler Wilson and a lot of it comes from him not being the tool Mallet was. Also it sounds like the Pats want a 2 for him

Quote Originally Posted by chrebetCT1192 View Post

He stayed clean and out of trouble, what dropped him out of the first were rumors of drug use, partying and not taking the job seriously. He was taken in the middle of the 3rd because of the allegations to think that putting those concerns to rest and getting two years of pro coaching cna be worth an increase in 17 draft spots.

If he does get traded, I am thinking an early 4th and a conditional pick next year.

Besides Smith in this years draft I can't see any one of the qbs this year being rated as high as Mallet, and you do get to see him on film in 6 or 7 preseason games which is better than film against college kids.
    Last edited by patman; 02-25-2013 at 07:37 PM.

All Pro
    I would prefer Foles in this scenario. More game experience than Mallet to evaluate.

Mallet is a complete unknown and I would rather not deal with NE anyways. With our luck, they would end up taking a guy who kicks our ass twice a year for 10 years.

Sitting behind Tom Brady for 2 years doesnt increase ones value.
    If the Pats really believed he's worth a 2nd rounder, then they would have played him in one of their many blowouts this year...

He's never looked all that great so far, hard to imagine he'd net them more than a 4th.

The Pats are always trying to hype up their backups, remember there was a time when they were said to want a 2nd rounder for Hoyer, who no one even wanted when he got released...

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Sitting behind Tom Brady for 2 years doesnt increase ones value.
    If the Pats really believed he's worth a 2nd rounder, then they would have played him in one of their many blowouts this year...

He's never looked all that great so far, hard to imagine he'd net them more than a 4th.

The Pats are always trying to hype up their backups, remember there was a time when they were said to want a 2nd rounder for Hoyer, who no one even wanted when he got released...
    As Far as Hoyer, he was a UDFA and yes there was no market for him, but i never heard any patriot staff member hype any backup other than saying they are comfortable with him. During the Cassel trade period, BB never said anything about Cassel, then again BB never says anything about anybody so i don't know what you are talking about hype But as far as Mallet 2 years ago Mallet was thought of by many as a first rd pick. He slid because of character concerns, which I say (big deal) has been addressed.

I disagree with you on the value of sitting behind Brady for two years and getting 2 years of pro coaching. Your post sounds like you don't believe a player benefits from two years of pro coaching, I don't want to say that sounds foolish, but maybe it is just a rival fans prejudice and you don't really believe that.

The Pats don't pull Brady period out of any game, and I don't think they had any thoughts of trading Mallet before, and unless they can sign Hoyer again, I don't think they will. I believe they drafted him as the heir but Brady decided not to ride off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I would prefer Foles in this scenario. More game experience than Mallet to evaluate.

Mallet is a complete unknown and I would rather not deal with NE anyways. With our luck, they would end up taking a guy who kicks our ass twice a year for 10 years.
    I loved Mallett coming out gave him a pretty high rating. He would have been a bargain if we drafted him but we didn't. Fact is if he is anything NE wouldn't trade him for anything less then a 1st. Brady is what 35-36 having a good young BU plan isn't a bad idea.

I agree with you on Foles, I watched all of his games and was pretty impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    As Far as Hoyer, he was a UDFA and yes there was no market for him, but i never heard any patriot staff member hype any backup other than saying they are comfortable with him. During the Cassel trade period, BB never said anything about Cassel, then again BB never says anything about anybody so i don't know what you are talking about hype But as far as Mallet 2 years ago Mallet was thought of by many as a first rd pick. He slid because of character concerns, which I say (big deal) has been addressed.

I disagree with you on the value of sitting behind Brady for two years and getting 2 years of pro coaching. Your post sounds like you don't believe a player benefits from two years of pro coaching, I don't want to say that sounds foolish, but maybe it is just a rival fans prejudice and you don't really believe that.

The Pats don't pull Brady period out of any game, and I don't think they had any thoughts of trading Mallet before, and unless they can sign Hoyer again, I don't think they will. I believe they drafted him as the heir but Brady decided not to ride off.
    The point is that players don't gain value sitting on the bench. Mallet was never considered a 1st round talent, that's just something Patriot fans tell themselves when they wasted a 3rd round pick.

The Pats have no bargaining power here.
    Teams aren't dumb, they will be able to sign Mallet next near without giving up a pick.

The Pats put a 2nd round tender on Hoyer because it was said that BB was convinced some team would sign him. So either he's an idiot or he was trying to over hype his value...

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    The point is that players don't gain value sitting on the bench. Mallet was never considered a 1st round talent, that's just something Patriot fans tell themselves when they wasted a 3rd round pick.

The Pats have no bargaining power here.
    Teams aren't dumb, they will be able to sign Mallet next near without giving up a pick.

The Pats put a 2nd round tender on Hoyer because it was said that BB was convinced some team would sign him. So either he's an idiot or he was trying to over hype his value...
    The pats put a 2nd rd tender because he was an udfa, if you don't put that level tender you do not get any compensation if he walks. Hoyer was stuck Behind Brady and would have welcomed an offer to play somewhere else, Once BB was confident that mallet progressed enough in his development he let Hoyer go.

Just because you don't value it, does not mean other teams do not. And my point was not just learning from a pro staff, it was him handling himself as a professional for two years. It was this quality that teams felt he lacked as a rookie coming out of college. Being a NFL good citizen, attending all the OTAs, not getting arrested or going out partying with gronk. those are the things that make GMs believe that he has addressed those issues.

Bargaining power? What bargaining power are you talking about? Mallet makes 530,000 next year. The following year he will make 2.1mill. If no team wants him this offseason he backs up Brady. paying a guy 3 mill to back up a qb for three years is certainly very reasonable. Why do you think that the pats would not pay Mallet 2 mill to back up Brady? That is not a lot of money, less than Tebow, Moore and Tavaris Jackson the other 3 back ups in the division.

If the pats wasted a pick on Mallet, it was only because they were fortunate that Brady did not get hurt. I never want to see Mallet in the game, I want Brady in it.

Polian, Lombardi, Jimmy Johnson, and Cowher all said he was a first rd talent, that is good enough for me.
    Last edited by patman; 02-25-2013 at 11:07 PM.

All League
    Mallet's problem was that he had cement feet in college and rocks for brains