Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GGN speculating that WR Holmes could be out and possibly cut this season.

All League

GGN speculating that WR Holmes could be out and possibly cut this season.

I don't often post speculative threads, but this one has some merit. For football players the famous lisfranc injury is problematic from a recovery standpoint. If his 2nd surgery does linger and prevents him from being healthy for the 2013 season If I'm Idzik I would cut him and gain the 1.25m in cap space this year and sign Edwards and add another WR via the draft this year. I would then use the 3rd or 4th round draft pick to get a WR like USC Woods or Texas A&M's Swope to compliment an Edwards/Hill/Kerley core. I don't think Woods get's out of the 2nd round but there's always hope right?

here is the link:
    http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/...-news-bad-news

Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    I don't often post speculative threads, but this one has some merit. For football players the famous lisfranc injury is problematic from a recovery standpoint. If his 2nd surgery does linger and prevents him from being healthy for the 2013 season If I'm Idzik I would cut him and gain the 1.25m in cap space this year and sign Edwards and add another WR via the draft this year. I would then use the 3rd or 4th round draft pick to get a WR like USC Woods or Texas A&M's Swope to compliment an Edwards/Hill/Kerley core. I don't think Woods get's out of the 2nd round but there's always hope right?

here is the link:
    http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/...-news-bad-news
    It's my understanding you can't cut an injured player. Someone correct me if I'm incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    It's my understanding you can't cut an injured player. Someone correct me if I'm incorrect.
    That is my understanding also, you have to come to an injury settlement before cutting the player.

Brick, there is little gain in space since his replacement of the roster is 530,000 min. But what it gains the jets is a clean slate in 2014.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    I think you can, but some sort of injury settlement needs to be agreed upon, I think at least, but not sure. What I would be curious to know is if said settlement has any impact, positive or negative,on the teams salary cap in addition to whatever the normal penalty would be for cutting him if he wasn't injured.

All Pro
    A few things can be done,but CBA says
    Can't cut a guy injured while performing contracted duties without obligation

You can put a player on IR - he gets paid anyway
    You can come to an injury settlement - cut and paid less
    That's how Conner left for example
    Worst case you can cut a player and go through a grievance process after

http://www.sportslawchat.com/nflinjurygrievance/

http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/...-2011-2020.pdf

Pretty sure there is language already in the contract about being cut for injury and it gives Santonio like 250,000 extra. The Jets CAN cut him.

Usually I find GGN articles childish but this was a good one. Holmes has no 2014 value to the Jets, so if his 2013 is done already and its possible to cut him, it's a no brainer. Sure theres dead money, but youd be paying the same to have him sit injured, and cutting him apparently saves 500k cap dollars. No small change since the crypt keeper on ESPN told me the jets have the worst cap situation he's ever seen and the team will probably owe the league 4.5 million in fines after the year for having such a bad cap.

All Pro
    So the three mil is coming from next years guaranteed money if we cut him right? That will save us cap next year, and I'll still be a fan. So being cut now actually saves us 4 mil in cap space, just most of it is next year.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Pretty sure there is language already in the contract about being cut for injury and it gives Santonio like 250,000 extra. The Jets CAN cut him.

No that is a 250,000 settlement which is all the jets would have to pay if he was injured in non performance, a car accident or similar. and those settlements are normally paid only paid upon not being able to play football ever again, not if your cut is a cap move.
    Last edited by patman; 02-26-2013 at 08:04 AM.

All League
    I think the point here is that If he's unable to play a significant portion of this year release him and take the full cap hit this year since you have to anyway. I don't think he's in the jets long term plans in 2014 anyway. If there's an injury settlement that would be paid out this year and I don't think it hits the salary cap, I think that's a cash payment.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    So the three mil is coming from next years guaranteed money if we cut him right? That will save us cap next year, and I'll still be a fan. So being cut now actually saves us 4 mil in cap space, just most of it is next year.
    Yuppers and you get a malcontent out of the locker room! Imagine that progress through subtraction.

Cutting him, while expensive, is not a detriment to the team.

"Dead money" has a bad connotation....if you have dead money from a talented, good locker room guy that you were forced to cut due to salary cap problems that would be bad.

But if you realize a big mistake was made with a players contract, IMO, id rather get a clean slate, give his reps to a younger, hungrier, non-malcontent player and save money later.

The thing that has become most prevalent in the NFL the last few years is that there is such a level playing field with the cap and preparedness of players coming into the league, that its honestly better to have younger "less reknowned" players who are giving 110% every week, then seemingly more talented guys like holmes who dont give it all on the field and wreck the locker room.

We have a lot of holes to fill, and adding another one at WR, isnt a great proposition, but holmes is a long shot to contribute anything worthwhile to this organization.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Cutting him, while expensive, is not a detriment to the team.

"Dead money" has a bad connotation....if you have dead money from a talented, good locker room guy that you were forced to cut due to salary cap problems that would be bad.

But if you realize a big mistake was made with a players contract, IMO, id rather get a clean slate, give his reps to a younger, hungrier, non-malcontent player and save money later.

The thing that has become most prevalent in the NFL the last few years is that there is such a level playing field with the cap and preparedness of players coming into the league, that its honestly better to have younger "less reknowned" players who are giving 110% every week, then seemingly more talented guys like holmes who dont give it all on the field and wreck the locker room.

We have a lot of holes to fill, and adding another one at WR, isnt a great proposition, but holmes is a long shot to contribute anything worthwhile to this organization.
    Especially when the malcontent may not play this year anyway. I was taken to task by a jet fan in another thread for "knowing" that the jets were not going to contend next year. But with Holmes, the jets again should take the long term view and take their medicine now and save almost 4 mill on next years cap.

All League
    +1 Patman

And to add on to that theme, you have a player in Edwards who always wanted to be here and was willing to take a pay decrease to do so. Edwards with a weak left knee and all when healthy is a solid starting WR especially in the Redzone. You still need to draft a WR because you can't trust Edwards for a full season nor can you trust Hill to develop from last years sub-par performance.

santonio Holmes is a cancer. He is great when everything is great. But the second there is any kind of adversity he is the first rat off the ship. His actions in the Miami game were disgraceful and he is a good example of the cultural problems this team faces.

Cut him and move on. The team is going to bad next season regardless of whether they have him or not.

I'm probably on board with cutting the guy as well. The injury he had could be one that drags into the season. The contract was a mistake from day one. It might be time to take the lumps there. As a bonus if he gets signed by another team his salary is decuctible from this seasons cap hit. That signing will be for vet minimum most likely but its another million added to the pie.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    I'm probably on board with cutting the guy as well. The injury he had could be one that drags into the season. The contract was a mistake from day one. It might be time to take the lumps there. As a bonus if he gets signed by another team his salary is decuctible from this seasons cap hit. That signing will be for vet minimum most likely but its another million added to the pie.
    The more we talk about this the more I'm in favor of releasing his butt. He can be a very good player, but I don't know if he will ever be great. He had a great year in Pitts but he's no Fitz or Johnson from a comparison perspective.

Holmes is easily replaced. Kerley had 827 years last year, holmes had 654, 746 his previous two years. For the number of targets he gets that kind of production is replaced easily.

Hall Of Fame
    Holmes is going nowhere. He has three strikes against him: Salary, Character, Injury. And we are not cutting him b.c of the cap and lack of depth @ WR.

2014 is a different story.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Holmes is going nowhere. He has three strikes against him: Salary, Character, Injury. And we are not cutting him b.c of the cap and lack of depth @ WR.

2014 is a different story.
    Agreed. I have no issue cutting Holmes what so ever. Could also be good for Idzik by showing he has some balls and that no one is safe on that roster.