Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BANDS you HATED then, but admit you love today......

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post

Next up, AFCEastfan's in depth commentary on Genesis!
    LOL. Such a great movie . . . .

Didn't mean to derail dickie's thread, but Patrick Bateman's take on Huey Lewis was the first thing I thought of when I started reading.

Sublime, never found them interesting in high school, now I could recite all the lyrics, just caught on with me.

All League
    The Pixies.

Was into metal early in my youth, got into them 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post

Next up, AFCEastfan's in depth commentary on Genesis!
    well speaking of genesis.....Ive always hated them growing up but that was because of abacab and that skanky singing drummer

then, i discovered early genesis with peter.....and the rest is history

Quote Originally Posted by 2milehighJet View Post
    The Pixies.

Was into metal early in my youth, got into them 10 years ago.

me too. brilliant!

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGERMIKE View Post
    Duran Duran for me. Hated em in junior high
    First band that came into my mind as well, when I saw this thread. Hated them in the early - mid 80s when they were very popular. I find some of their tunes quite catchy now.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Bruce Springsteen and The Dead.

Hated them in HS because everyone else loved them...grew to like them years later...but now Bruce's politics have overshadowed his music for me... and I hate him again.

-

oh yes BRUCE good one. same for me. hated them then. now i love me some meeting across the bridge or whatever its called

I have a rule.......if a band, no matter how gay they are, honestly write what i consider at least 2 great songs, i give them respect.

like:
    bon jovi
    beegees

and i hated steely dan then, and i hate them more now

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Huey Lewis and the News.

I used to think they were a little too new wave for my tastes. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical, sense of humor
    oh dude

Hall Of Fame
    Beastie Boys
    Doobie Brothers
    G. Lightfoot

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Dude is locked into 1994. Great example.
    TP wrote at least 20 years worth of great music through the 70s, 80s, and 90s. If you want to accuse him of "being locked in 1994" (not correct anyway cuz "She's the One" in 1996 was amazing) what year are the Rolling Stones locked in ? Or the Beatles? Or the Who?

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    TP wrote at least 20 years worth of great music through the 70s, 80s, and 90s. If you want to accuse him of "being locked in 1994" (not correct anyway cuz "She's the One" in 1996 was amazing) what year are the Rolling Stones locked in ? Or the Beatles? Or the Who?
    hey I love Tom petty to death. I play his music; perform his music. It's as legitimate as Chuck Berry; Keef, Dylan...my hat is always off to TP.

Now I went to a show in 2008 at the Oakland Arena; the gravity of his older stuff was making it impossible to let the new stuff catch fire. TP was literally begging for a chance; asking people to suspend their attachment to those tunes; they will be played yada yada yada - yet, people sat like church mice during the new stuff; I felt I was cheated out of $65.

So, that's where I find the purchase to make that statement. I PLAY that old stuff; WHAT'S NEXT???
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 02-28-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    hey I love TOm petty to ddeath. I play his music; perform his music.
    ever play it with a Rik? so nice.

Jets Insider VIP
    Skid Row and Thin Lizzy.

Bread.

F*** you.
    yep, good songwriting.

All Pro
    hey I love Tom petty to death. I play his music; perform his music. It's as legitimate as Chuck Berry; Keef, Dylan...my hat is always off to TP.

Now I went to a show in 2008 at the Oakland Arena; the gravity of his older stuff was making it impossible to let the new stuff catch fire. TP was literally begging for a chance; asking people to suspend their attachment to those tunes; they will be played yada yada yada - yet, people sat like church mice during the new stuff; I felt I was cheated out of $65.

So, that's where I find the purchase to make that statement. I PLAY that old stuff; WHAT'S NEXT???
    Sure. But name a great singer/songwriter who hasn't gone through the same situation? At some point the fresh songs just aren't coming anymore. The Stones IMO didn't produce anything of note after 1980--Jagger's late 30s. TP was actually one of the longest-lived rock and roll songwriters, writing hits into his late 40s.

I hated Radiohead when they first appeared with "Creep" - just another wallowing-in-self-pity/teen-angst band I thought.

Well, they showed me.

During the 80's I hated bands like Hall and Oates - now realise they are/were purveyors of perfect 3 minute pop. I hated stuff like "Jessie's Girl" - stuff which I thought at the time was for the braindead, now I really like the song and others like it from around that time.

Guns N Roses is a band I have always hated and always will - completely talentless in every way, just a tickbox of what a "great" classic rock band should be. Apeing, very badly, the Stones, Zep etc, right down to the drug troubles and the feuds. When I see pictures of Axl Rose today, I think: "justice!"

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Sure. But name a great singer/songwriter who hasn't gone through the same situation? At some point the fresh songs just aren't coming anymore. The Stones IMO didn't produce anything of note after 1980--Jagger's late 30s. TP was actually one of the longest-lived rock and roll songwriters, writing hits into his late 40s.
    Colin Hay's solo stuff is MUCH better than his Men at Work stuff. Not saying your point is overall invalid, just a thought that came to mind.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

The Stones IMO didn't produce anything of note after 1980--Jagger's late 30s.
    http://youtu.be/rPFGWVKXxm0

-