Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 56

Thread: Who the experts have as Jets first round pick

  1. #1

    Who the experts have as Jets first round pick

    Looking at all the mock drafts by those who write about football for a living, the Jets first round pick boils down to two likley options. WR Cordarrelle Patterson, the top rated WR. The other option is a DE/OLB with about all of the top five DE/OLB having been selected by various mock drafts. A very few of the writers pick an offensive lineman.

    My guess is WR Cordarrelle Patterson will be the pick who is an obvious need pick in an offensive challenged team.

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,697
    It wouldn't be a bad pick; however, with so many other needs I wouldn't go WR for our first.

  3. #3
    Starting to lean that way (WR Cordarrelle Patterson) too…
    Don't see any great fits at other positions for the Jets at 9.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,757
    This could be 2008 all over again for us. Very few blue chip players. We may end up with the "who else were we gonna take?" pick. Ansah and Patterson fill needs but are very much boom or bust guys. The safe pick would be a Guard but I don't think they would have the fortitude to do that.

  5. #5
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,849
    I like Idzik, but if we take Patterson at #9, I would really start to question the hire.

    Hunter, Patton, Woods, Bailey, etc are all going to be available in the 2nd/3rd round.

    You don't take a WR in the Top 10 unless he's an elite prospect in the mold of AJ Green or Julio Jones. Patterson isn't in the same stratosphere as those guys.

    I'd even be in favor of taking a guy like Barkley or Vaccaro over Patterson.

  6. #6
    Patterson could be a great player down the line, but by all accounts he doesn't seem to be a guy who will make an immediate impact in year one. I don't think we're in a position where we can afford something like that.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Huntersville, NC
    Posts
    6,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Starting to lean that way (WR Cordarrelle Patterson) too…
    Don't see any great fits at other positions for the Jets at 9.
    Heard some rumor on Mike and Mike this morning about KC possibly trading the #1 for Revis. Have no idea how true that is.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by JetinHuntersville View Post
    Heard some rumor on Mike and Mike this morning about KC possibly trading the #1 for Revis. Have no idea how true that is.
    even if the jets do that, it doesn't help them get a qb. who would the jets take, a left tackle? every pass rusher comes with question marks. if the jets did this i would hope they feel gino is great. would rather have a first round pick next year.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Patterson could be a great player down the line, but by all accounts he doesn't seem to be a guy who will make an immediate impact in year one. I don't think we're in a position where we can afford something like that.
    To be honest, we shouldn't be worried about immediate impact players. We need to think long term, because next year isn't happening with just one guy, unless it's a QB.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    To be honest, we shouldn't be worried about immediate impact players. We need to think long term, because next year isn't happening with just one guy, unless it's a QB.
    i completely disagree. one huge problem with the jets drafts in recent years is that everyone needs too much development. look around the nfl and you see rookie starters and some stars at all positions. the jets need immediate impact players. that's exactly what they're missing. plus, idzik's reputation will be instantly shaped by how his first draft class does. everyone knows he's saddled with a crappy salary cap situation and crappy qbs. but if he can draft a few good players he'll be hailed as the savior of the team. the last thing this team needs is to draft a few guys high up who can't contribute right away.

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,606
    If his tape matches his combine performance I would take Jordan at #9

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    If his tape matches his combine performance I would take Jordan at #9
    what's the difference b/t mingo and jordan, and would a guy like vacarro be less risky with as much potential/talent. i haven't really seen these guys play.

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,928
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    what's the difference b/t mingo and jordan, and would a guy like vacarro be less risky with as much potential/talent. i haven't really seen these guys play.
    Safety is very deep this year. I think the Jets need to address it this year. Vacarro, Reid, Elam. Even guys like Amerson who I think will be best suited as a safety in the NFL.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Safety is very deep this year. I think the Jets need to address it this year. Vacarro, Reid, Elam. Even guys like Amerson who I think will be best suited as a safety in the NFL.
    i just wonder/fear that the jets may not want to invest a top pick in the olbs who will be on the board, they won't want warmack, and there likely won't be offensive playmakers to take there either. and i'm wondering if vacarro is THAT good, or if he's pretty good.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by JetinHuntersville View Post
    Heard some rumor on Mike and Mike this morning about KC possibly trading the #1 for Revis. Have no idea how true that is.
    I'd rather trade for KC's #1 next year...

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,928
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i just wonder/fear that the jets may not want to invest a top pick in the olbs who will be on the board, they won't want warmack, and there likely won't be offensive playmakers to take there either. and i'm wondering if vacarro is THAT good, or if he's pretty good.
    I dont know how much better Vacarro is than Reid, who could probably be had in the second.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    This could be 2008 all over again for us. Very few blue chip players. We may end up with the "who else were we gonna take?" pick. Ansah and Patterson fill needs but are very much boom or bust guys. The safe pick would be a Guard but I don't think they would have the fortitude to do that.
    It's shaping that way. Now to be fair, just because Gholston was a washout in the same situation doesn't mean that it will happen again.

    This year more than others, teams ahead of us will decide the fate.

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,676
    All the "experts" know just about as much as you and and I at this point.

    Everyone is still guessing right now. Don't put much stock into any of it at this point.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i just wonder/fear that the jets may not want to invest a top pick in the olbs who will be on the board, they won't want warmack, and there likely won't be offensive playmakers to take there either. and i'm wondering if vacarro is THAT good, or if he's pretty good.
    I know 40 times for safeties is not that important but I was mute impressed with the speed and power of other safetiesat the combine so far. I would still live vacarro on the jets but I think he may be a reach at nine.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I know 40 times for safeties is not that important but I was mute impressed with the speed and power of other safetiesat the combine so far. I would still live vacarro on the jets but I think he may be a reach at nine.
    i hear you. there maybe several players the jets consider who are reaches at 9.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us