Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets moving primarily to a 4-3 front?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets moving primarily to a 4-3 front?

Some speculation that the Jets are moving away from the 3-4 and to the 4-3. Of course, Rex Ryan's defense was never a PURE 3-4 defense, it was more of a hybrid multiple-front all along. If you watched this pass season it seems that we actually ran more 4 down linemen fronts than 3. (I don't have the official numbers, but I would like to see them if they are available).

I'm sure if one was to ask Rex Ryan directly about it he would likely deny it. But switching to a 4-3 front primarily makes total sense to me. For one reason--PERSONNEL. We have no starting OLBs on the roster right now, and have had a lack of LBs with pass rush ability ever since I can remember. Our best pass rushers are on the defensive linemen. (Wilkerson, Coples). I can see moving Wilkerson to a 3 technique DT and Coples as a5 or 6 DE. Any thoughts?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    Some speculation that the Jets are moving away from the 3-4 and to the 4-3. Of course, Rex Ryan's defense was never a PURE 3-4 defense, it was more of a hybrid multiple-front all along. If you watched this pass season it seems that we actually ran more 4 down linemen fronts than 3. (I don't have the official numbers, but I would like to see them if they are available).

I'm sure if one was to ask Rex Ryan directly about it he would likely deny it. But switching to a 4-3 front primarily makes total sense to me. For one reason--PERSONNEL. We have no starting OLBs on the roster right now, and have had a lack of LBs with pass rush ability ever since I can remember. Our best pass rushers are on the defensive linemen. (Wilkerson, Coples). I can see moving Wilkerson to a 3 technique DT and Coples as a5 or 6 DE. Any thoughts?
    Wilkerson is not quick enough to be an elite pass rusher and Coples is not good enough period. Stay 3-4 go get OLBs.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Wilkerson is not quick enough to be an elite pass rusher and Coples is not good enough period. Stay 3-4 go get OLBs.
    What? As DT passrusher, yes he is. Coples is the best passrusher out of last years draft IMO.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cope-Ellis-Mo-Jordan/Moore/Werner

could be a real nice D line..all 3 of our young guys would fit better in a 4 man front

also Demario Davis fits better as a 43 OLB..only main issue is Harris cant really play inside in a 43, too slow

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilk would have to be a DT and Coples would be a "tweener" in the 4-3. Not big enough for DT and not quick enough to be a legit pass rushing threat from DE.

But this is all moot b.c we run multiple fronts and move everyone around. It is about matchups. We need to find a pass rusher, period. Whether he has his hand in the ground or not is irrelevant.

And we only have one LB who could play in the 4-3.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Wilk would have to be a DT and Coples would be a "tweener" in the 4-3. Not big enough for DT and not quick enough to be a legit pass rushing threat from DE.

But this is all moot b.c we run multiple fronts and move everyone around. It is about matchups. We need to find a pass rusher, period. Whether he has his hand in the ground or not is irrelevant.
    This.

But FWIW, based on Rex's combine press conference, it seemed like they want to use Coples on the edge a little more this year.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    4-3 is the way to go.we dont have the cap room to sign all the lbs needed to excel in the 3-4. we should primarily run a 4-3 with rexs hybrid defensive schemes added to the mix.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    4-3 is the way to go.we dont have the cap room to sign all the lbs needed to excel in the 3-4. we should primarily run a 4-3 with rexs hybrid defensive schemes added to the mix.
    Seeing as how Davis is the only LB on the roster that's a natural fit for the 4-3, the Jets don't have the cap room to sign all the LBs needed to excel in the 4-3 either.

**** the scheme, just get good players in here and the rest will work itself out.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    They used Coples as exactly a Tweener a lot toward the end of the year. In other words he had the option of standing up, or putting his hand down at the same spot where Pace would have lined up. The rest of the defense played 3 4. It doesn't matter in that case whether or not the guy in that spot is an end or a LB, or is standing or not. That is what they plan to do with him. Solves one OLB spot if it works. Then we just need an edge rusher on the other side.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Seeing as how Davis is the only LB on the roster that's a natural fit for the 4-3, the Jets don't have the cap room to sign all the LBs needed to excel in the 4-3 either.

**** the scheme, just get good players in here and the rest will work itself out.
    harris is a ilb and davis and mcintyre olbs what am i missing. harris can easily adapt to mlb in the 4-3 scheme.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    What? As DT passrusher, yes he is. Coples is the best passrusher out of last years draft IMO.
    Coples stats stink. I do not not care about last years draft. He compares how to every other player in the league? That's what counts.
    Wilkerson is a jag.
    Will people here please stop being homers and be objective.
    Why, "The Sanchize will be supurb. It unfair to compare him to more experienced players". Right.
    And Keller is an all pro. And Harris is a star. And the 'War Wagon" is going to terrorize.
    There are two really good players on the Jets. Mangold and Revis. Cromartie is close. And who knows if Revis is the same. And no silly discusions about Adrian Peterson's injury. Different people. Peterson is the NFL MVP. Revis has yet to be a DPOY.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coples stats stink. I do not not care about last years draft. He compares how to every other player in the league? That's what counts.
    Wilkerson is a jag.
    Why, "The Sanchize will be supurb. It unfair to compare him to more experienced players". Right.
    And Keller is an all pro. And Harris is a star. And the 'War Wagon" is going to terrorize.
    There are two really good players on the Jets. Mangold and Revis. Cromartie is close. And who knows if Revis is the same. And no silly discusions about Adrian Peterson's injury. Different people. Peterson is the NFL MVP. Revis has yet to be a DPOY.
    It's all very simple isn't it?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilkerson is a jag.
    coples,wilkerson and ellis when used properly will excel.

wilkerson is no jag.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    coples,wilkerson and ellis when used properly will excel.

wilkerson is no jag.

THey will be used properly when and if they show the coaching staff they deserve to be used properly. It's the same for every team - prove it, earn it.

As far as Wilkerson - he ranks where in the conference? Unless he's top 5, he's a jag.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    It's all very simple isn't it?

No, it's actually hard to put together a good team. The Jets have not done so. They are consistently one of the poorer teams in the AFC. An above average year or two doesn't cut it. 44 years between appearances is poor - let's be objective.
    How many teams are worse?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    harris is a ilb and davis and mcintyre olbs what am i missing. harris can easily adapt to mlb in the 4-3 scheme.
    Harris cannot play MLB in a 4-3. He was toast in coverage out of the 3-4, you're gonna give him the whole middle of the field to patrol?

If McIntyre is the answer, then the question is, "who can the Jets put in a starting role to make the team suck even more than it did in 2012?"

Davis is the guy that would work in a 4-3, but he's the only one.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    wow

mcintyre is not a starter in the nfl, have u seen him play in space? lmao
    at best he's a situational pass rusher not a LB

harris is not a 43 LB..doesn't really fit inside or outside hes just too slow in space..he would have to sub out on passing downs

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    THey will be used properly when and if they show the coaching staff they deserve to be used properly. It's the same for every team - prove it, earn it.

As far as Wilkerson - he ranks where in the conference? Unless he's top 5, he's a jag.
    You realize Wilkerson was statistically the 2nd most effective 34 DE behind JJ Watt last year, in his 2nd year no less. Coples registered 5.5 sacks as a rookie which is exactly what tmany of the games best pass rushers did as rookies.

From an article off Pro Football Focus on 12/19 on who should make the Pro Bowl
    Defensive Ends: Cameron Wake (MIA), J.J. Watt (HST) and Muhammad Wilkerson (NYJ)

After much deliberation we just about found room for J.J. Watt on the team. After all he is on his way to the highest grade we’ve ever given out at any position. The Dolphins Wake has been one of the most consistent pass rushers in the league the past three years, and has added the sack numbers this year so that it isn’t just us who recognizes that. Rounding out the trio is Wilkerson, the brightest spot in a dismal year for the Jets. There aren’t many guys better at getting off blocks in the run game and making plays.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilkerson is a jag.
    This deserves reply bc of how absolutely ridiculous it is.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too slow for 4-3