Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: wireless router for streaming Blockbuster on Dish Network?

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,101

    wireless router for streaming Blockbuster on Dish Network?

    Any suggestions on a router for picture quality?

    Am I correct thinking that the wireless router, video card, and internet speed all play an equal part? And if one sucks the whole thing will suck?

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Any suggestions on a router for picture quality?

    Am I correct thinking that the wireless router, video card, and internet speed all play an equal part? And if one sucks the whole thing will suck?
    you can buffer between you and Dish, so Internet speed is only somewhat important.

    Wireless router should support N (1gb speeds). Are you watching this on a PC? If so, use a wired connection.

  3. #3
    Just yesterday I upgraded to
    N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
    WNDR4500

    Faster WiFi speed 450+450 - Up to 900 Mbps†
    Improves WiFi range for larger homes
    Wirelessly access & share USB hard drive & printer
    ReadySHARE® Cloud** — Access & share USB hard drive remotely
    Lost of wireless speed (up to 900 mbps) and Dual Band 2.4 & 5 GHz.

    It's best if your wireless stuff can support Dual Band but even if then don't this router supports 450 mbps on a single band with a very wide range.

    http://www.netgear.com/home/products...wndr4500.aspx#

  4. #4
    It's going to look just fine with almost any decent wireless router.

  5. #5
    Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    12,440
    Images
    38734
    I just bought this wireless router as a secondary one because my fios wireless router wasn't cutting it. HUGE upgrade. Movies stream seamlessly and computer uploads much faster. Picked up one on ebay for $105.


    http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/d-li...-35117978.html

  6. #6
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    I just bought this wireless router as a secondary one because my fios wireless router wasn't cutting it. HUGE upgrade. Movies stream seamlessly and computer uploads much faster. Picked up one on ebay for $105.

    http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/d-li...-35117978.html
    Another great upgrade is something called a Wireless Repeater. You put it in a location in your house where your wi-fi range starts to falter. It picks up the weakening signal, boosts it, and gets you full bars everywhere else in the house that the original router can't.

    In my case, my router is on the ground floor and gives strong coverage to the basement and the second floor. But the third floor, forget it. By placing a repeater on the second floor it boosts the signal up to the third floor perfectly. It also creates a new SSID, like having another router in the house, so if your son is on his iMac streaming all day (raises hand) you can arrange it so that he has his own slice of bandwidth that doesn't drain yours.

    http://reviews.cnet.com/networking-a...-35399523.html

    SAR I

  7. #7
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Any suggestions on a router for picture quality?

    Am I correct thinking that the wireless router, video card, and internet speed all play an equal part? And if one sucks the whole thing will suck?
    Before going there, try this:

    http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

    It's a free program that shows you what router channels your neighbors are using. If too many of you are on, say, Channel 5, your signal strength can degrade as much as 50%. I use this program monthly, watch what the neighbors are doing, and change the broadcast channel on my router if someone is crowding the one I selected.

    It's a quick and free way to get your speed up.

    SAR I

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,101
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Before going there, try this:

    http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

    It's a free program that shows you what router channels your neighbors are using. If too many of you are on, say, Channel 5, your signal strength can degrade as much as 50%. I use this program monthly, watch what the neighbors are doing, and change the broadcast channel on my router if someone is crowding the one I selected.

    It's a quick and free way to get your speed up.

    SAR I
    great info, very cool, thanks

    now buy a damn generator

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,123
    802.11ac

    Netgear, DLink, Asus

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,101
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    802.11ac

    Netgear, DLink, Asus
    yeah, it's still in the early stages though. is it worth the $$$ since there will be the inevitible bugs?

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    yeah, it's still in the early stages though. is it worth the $$$ since there will be the inevitible bugs?
    I bought one a few months ago to stream 1080p from PC to TV. It is piggybacked on my FiOS router. Some people have had trouble but I think it is b.c they don't know how to set them up properly. Also, older computers and wireless cards cannot take full advantage of dual-band. Also, people need to realize that your speed from your ISP determines your internet and download speeds. The speeds of these newer routers are merely for local network file sharing and media streaming. A basic 802.11n is more than enough for a typical internet connection and web use.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us