Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 224

Thread: NY Jets Actively Shopped Revis at combine

  1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Trading Revis would be an enormous mistake, can't emphasize how much I would be against it. You keep your homegrown talent, especially at a premium position.
    The question I have for you is a simple one...

    Two questions ...

    1) Is there a line you would draw that says this is too much to pay a corner?
    2) If there is, what is it?

    I think we all would love to keep Revis, but we just draw the line in different places. I don't think it's fair to make the statement you must keep him at all costs - just because he's homegrown.

  2. #162
    Options going forward ranked by attractiveness IMO:

    1. Trade him for good terms.
    2. Re-sign him long-term.
    3. You lose him.

  3. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by LB54 View Post
    ok if thats how you handle things then thats you.
    id rather have the best employee at what he does and pay him instead of a slight drop off and save a little bit of money.
    It's not a little, it's a lot. The question becomes how much better is Revis than Cro? And more importantly his impact on the field? Is it twice as good? Cause he is asking to be paid a 100% more.

    Finally you fail to take into account what petejet could do with the extra money. Would he prefer two excellent corners on the outside (using only secondary as an example because looking between positions can get overly complex) or one elite, HOF and a scrub? The more balanced approach will get you farther, and that's without even taking into account that the resources don't have to stay in the secondary.

    So yes I'd take the small drop off for a HUGE drop off in price.

  4. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    It's not a little, it's a lot. The question becomes how much better is Revis than Cro? And more importantly his impact on the field? Is it twice as good? Cause he is asking to be paid a 100% more.

    Finally you fail to take into account what petejet could do with the extra money. Would he prefer two excellent corners on the outside (using only secondary as an example because looking between positions can get overly complex) or one elite, HOF and a scrub? The more balanced approach will get you farther, and that's without even taking into account that the resources don't have to stay in the secondary.

    So yes I'd take the small drop off for a HUGE drop off in price.
    You're making a huge assumption here. You dump Revis what makes you think 2 or 3 unkown guys mean more overall production? Revis and mediocre might well give you more production than other guys we draft who's value is unknown.

    Revis is very likely to be overvalued but the production is pretty much locked in unless he gets hurt again.

  5. #165
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,418
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    How do the Jets have any leverage with Revis?

    They can't tag him, he can refuse the Jets long-term offer, play out the season and leave to wherever he wants to go, and the Jets receive zippo.

    Not to mention, he can refuse another teams offer and basically void any trade where the Jets would receive draft picks.

    The Jets have no leverage whatsoever.
    For Revis, he wants a long term deal now, not at the end of the year. Sure, if he doesn't have a choice, he'll play out the year. But, considering he's coming off an injury, if he has another significant knee injury, his long term prospects go down significantly.

    That is in fact leverage. Certainly not all the leverage, but a significant amount.

  6. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    You're making a huge assumption here. You dump Revis what makes you think 2 or 3 unkown guys mean more overall production? Revis and mediocre might well give you more production than other guys we draft who's value is unknown.

    Revis is very likely to be overvalued but the production is pretty much locked in unless he gets hurt again.
    Again, no Cromartie and you'd be right, but Cro gives us flexibility.

  7. #167
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsman51 View Post
    Again, no Cromartie and you'd be right, but Cro gives us flexibility.
    Flexibility doesn't at all guarantee that you are going to replace Revis with good production at any kind of value. Revis is a known quantity, no Revis plus bodies we couldn't afford with Revis doesn't guarantee you anything.

    Personally I have no issue dumping Revis but I'm not any under illusion that the NY Jets brain trust is going to get us more production by doing it, in fact if past performance is any indicator of future performance, which it isn't, I suspect we will get less overall performance.

  8. #168
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Flexibility doesn't at all guarantee that you are going to replace Revis with good production at any kind of value. Revis is a known quantity, no Revis plus bodies we couldn't afford with Revis doesn't guarantee you anything.
    the secondary did fine without revis last year.

    still don't understand why everyone is way more concerned with revis leaving than wondering how the jets are ever going to score points. it's as if we're all resigned to the fact that the jets are going to stink for years, until they hopefully get a good qb. but until that time, we damn well better have a great secondary, or else these next few seasons will really suck.

  9. #169
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Flexibility doesn't at all guarantee that you are going to replace Revis with good production at any kind of value. Revis is a known quantity, no Revis plus bodies we couldn't afford with Revis doesn't guarantee you anything.
    Of course there's no guarantee the picks will work out, but weigh that against the following:

    1). We're rebuilding, and the #1 CB in the league doesn't change that.
    2). If we pay him upwards of $15mm a year, that WILL restrict our ability to re-sign players going forward and attract FA talent going forward.
    3). Revis could ultimately just leave and we'd get a third rounder in 2015 for our troubles.
    4). The drop-off in our secondary wasn't very stark at all (although our #2 rank is mostly optics/deceiving).


    On an absolute basis, we will never replace Revis, it's impossible. But looking at it from a comparative value stand point, with Cromartie and no Revis, our secondary's loss of performance has a very good chance of being offset by better performance with the draft picks.
    Last edited by jetsman51; 02-27-2013 at 03:45 PM.

  10. #170
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Trading Revis would be an enormous mistake, can't emphasize how much I would be against it. You keep your homegrown talent, especially at a premium position.
    you don't over pay for any position but franchise QB. Which is different than overpaying for Sanchize QB.

  11. #171
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mianus CT
    Posts
    8,253
    Quote Originally Posted by LB54 View Post
    If thats true John Idzik has already lost all of my respect as a person and as a GM.
    Taking over as a GM and then giving away your best Player / employee is the dumbest thing you can do.
    if this is true idzik has all my respect not that it matters maybe he can build a team not a me first attitude.

    what good is the best CB when your QB is the worst?

  12. #172
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    You're making a huge assumption here. You dump Revis what makes you think 2 or 3 unkown guys mean more overall production? Revis and mediocre might well give you more production than other guys we draft who's value is unknown.

    Revis is very likely to be overvalued but the production is pretty much locked in unless he gets hurt again.
    It's not necessarily even the draft. Take a guy like Wilkerson. Suppose he continues on his current trajectory and is an elite DL. That is going to take some serious coin to sign him. His contract ends in 2016. The question for Revis' production-cost analysis must be looked at over the long term. In 2016 I would much rather have the ability to field Cro-Wilk and not have any money left to spend at that point.

    It is no guarantee that we replace Revis' production this year with the draft picks we get. But not sinking disproportionate levels of money into his (over Cro, and the other excellent corners in the league) relative improved production, hamstrings the ability to hold on to multiple high level KNOWN talents. Your assumption also rests on the idea that we will not pursue known talents in the form of free agency, or that our existing talent blossoms into excellence.

    For the record this all changes if Revis takes a deal measuring out to 12-13 million a year. Then the concept should be to move Cro, and frankly I view this as my dream scenario. All hinges on Revis taking what would be a fair market deal, which is why I have always said Izdik should at least approach the agents to try to negotiate in good faith. If it fails, so be it. But he should at least try, and I think he will/has.

  13. #173
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Bronx, USA
    Posts
    4,863
    These threads are a waste of time. Revis is going to be a Jet. Noboby is giving up two # 1s and the Jets will take no less. end of story.

    End and lock thread

  14. #174
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    These threads are a waste of time. Revis is going to be a Jet. Noboby is giving up two # 1s and the Jets will take no less. end of story.

    End and lock thread
    And you know what the Jets plan is? What they will or won't take? How's Florham Park, Mr. Idzik.

  15. #175
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,485
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    So you would pay him $100 million?
    Nope, no blank check or anything outrageous. But he's coming back from an injury, this might be an opportunity to lock him up at a reasonable cost. Trade Cromartie if it's necessary, he's making more than Revis is.

    Izdik has to at least try, speak with his agents and see where it goes. These posts saying to trade him for whatever we can get are ridiculous, we could end up with another Gholston.

  16. #176
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Nope, no blank check or anything outrageous. But he's coming back from an injury, this might be an opportunity to lock him up at a reasonable cost. Trade Cromartie if it's necessary, he's making more than Revis is.

    Izdik has to at least try, speak with his agents and see where it goes. These posts saying to trade him for whatever we can get are ridiculous, we could end up with another Gholston.
    Or another Revis.

  17. #177
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    How do the Jets have any leverage with Revis?

    They can't tag him, he can refuse the Jets long-term offer, play out the season and leave to wherever he wants to go, and the Jets receive zippo.

    Not to mention, he can refuse another teams offer and basically void any trade where the Jets would receive draft picks.

    The Jets have no leverage whatsoever.
    Yes, the Jets have leverage because there is no way in hell Revis is going to play out 2013 for $3 mil and risk getting hurt again.

    He's getting paid by someone this year. If he has to show up to camp and fake an injury to do a defacto holdout, he'll do it. Because of that, Revis will be amenable to go anywhere where they'll pay him so he'll have to work with the Jets on a trade.

    Again, look at Revis' history. He's risk averse when it comes to money and playing for only $3 mil is the height of riskiness.

  18. #178
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,485
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    The question I have for you is a simple one...

    Two questions ...

    1) Is there a line you would draw that says this is too much to pay a corner?
    2) If there is, what is it?

    I think we all would love to keep Revis, but we just draw the line in different places. I don't think it's fair to make the statement you must keep him at all costs - just because he's homegrown.
    Definitely. Hard to use annual salaries though, there's lots of ways to structure contracts and build in bonuses (I don't pretend to be an expert). I wouldn't give him Mario Williams money

  19. #179
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Nope, no blank check or anything outrageous. But he's coming back from an injury, this might be an opportunity to lock him up at a reasonable cost. Trade Cromartie if it's necessary, he's making more than Revis is.
    Conceptually this makes sense, but Revis will be looking for $16 mil per. If he takes less he'll be setting up a holdout scenario in 2 yrs. Bank on it.

  20. #180
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Conceptually this makes sense, but Revis will be looking for $16 mil per. If he takes less he'll be setting up a holdout scenario in 2 yrs. Bank on it.
    brady would take more in guaranteed money to make somewhat less, b/c he wants the team to be able to sign more good players so he can win a super bowl. revis, on the other hand, just wants to be paid. if his team wins, that's a bonus.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us