Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NY Jets Actively Shopped Revis at combine

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    This team is going to bad in 2013 whether you want to believe it or not. And then the coach is going to get fired and the team will have to start fresh in 2014. That probably means that if the Jets draft correctly, manage the cap well and acquire a respectable QB the earliest the team will be a legitimate contender again will be 2015.

If the Jets give Revis what he wants (to be the highest paid defensive player in the history of the sport) he will be 30 years old before the kickoff of the 2015 season and will be making franchise QB money. The team will most likely be on the hook for paying that salary until he is 32 or 33. Not a smart move.

If the Jets can parlay Revis into a first round pick in 2014 then they will have an excellent chance to draft a potential franchise QB in a draft that could have two. That is how you build a franchise for the future. Not by paying a CB franchise QB money until he is 32 or 33.
    Great post! Hopefully, Idzik turns out to be the football executive this team has lacked. Purge the garbage, accumulate picks and draft a franchise QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Idzik is doing everything right so far. Im impressed.

This team is going to bad in 2013 whether you want to believe it or not. And then the coach is going to get fired and the team will have to start fresh in 2014. That probably means that if the Jets draft correctly, manage the cap well and acquire a respectable QB the earliest the team will be a legitimate contender again will be 2015.

If the Jets give Revis what he wants (to be the highest paid defensive player in the history of the sport) he will be 30 years old before the kickoff of the 2015 season and will be making franchise QB money. The team will most likely be on the hook for paying that salary until he is 32 or 33. Not a smart move.

If the Jets can parlay Revis into a first round pick in 2014 then they will have an excellent chance to draft a potential franchise QB in a draft that could have two. That is how you build a franchise for the future. Not by paying a CB franchise QB money until he is 32 or 33.
    You have earned your moniker.

Good post! I wan't 2014 picks... All in for Bridgewater!

Veteran

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Two things.

1: He wouldn't be "giving him away", ok? He'd be TRADING him.
    2: Our super best player in J-E-T-S! JETS JETS JETS! history is.....a ****ing CB? Yeah, don't care.
    Oh okay, TRADING him when his value is a fraction of what it's been his entire career. Hold onto an all time great just to sell at his lowest, you're right that's a solid start for the new GM.

Ahh here we go, you don't care. I'm sure you didn't care these past years while that "****ing CB" was only the best defensive player in the league. I'm sure you didn't care about shutting down every WR he went against and I'm sure you weren't right there with every other Jets fan touting 'Revis Island'.
    This "I don't care he's just a CB" nonsense is laughable. Sound like the kid that got ditched on the playground yelling "Fine I didn't want to be your friend anyway!"

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    Great post! Hopefully, Idzik turns out to be the football executive this team has lacked. Purge the garbage, accumulate picks and draft a franchise QB.
    It's amazing how many on this board would suck Revis off if they had the chance.

Trade him for whatever we can get.

Great post!

Quote Originally Posted by player1322 View Post
    Oh okay, TRADING him when his value is a fraction of what it's been his entire career. Hold onto an all time great just to sell at his lowest, you're right that's a solid start for the new GM.
    As apposed to keeping him a year and letting him walk while getting nothing in return? Yes.

Ahh here we go, you don't care. I'm sure you didn't care these past years while that "****ing CB" was only the best defensive player in the league.
    Slow the hell down there, Scooter. He's the best at his position, but that doesn't make him the defensive player in the NFL. Keep being a fanboy, though. It's cute.

I'm sure you didn't care about shutting down every WR he went against and I'm sure you weren't right there with every other Jets fan touting 'Revis Island'.
    This "I don't care he's just a CB" nonsense is laughable. Sound like the kid that got ditched on the playground yelling "Fine I didn't want to be your friend anyway!"
    Lots of words, yet you make no point with them. Now THAT'S talent.

Elite, shutdown CBs are a luxury. They are NOT a necessity, so who gives a **** if he's our best player? The fact that a ****ing CB is our best player is pathetic. Get over your fanboy bs and realize that it's not all about Revis, mmk? Swell.

Ahh here we go, you don't care. I'm sure you didn't care these past years while that "****ing CB" was only the best defensive player in the league. I'm sure you didn't care about shutting down every WR he went against and I'm sure you weren't right there with every other Jets fan touting 'Revis Island'.
    No one cared because Revis was doing it at a fair price. All of this backlash, this is Revis' doing. You don't seem to be able to grasp that. He never honored any contract prior to the one signed in 2010, and if it wasn't for the clause in his contract, it's pretty much guarenteed he would have held out last year.

You know what's something that I don't care about? Some stupid list that's determined by player votes to decide who the best defensive player in the NFL. What Revis does is incredible dont get me wrong, but with the NFL the way it is now you need a pass rusher, not one friggin corner. Give me Aldon Smith, Von Miller, Demarcus Ware, JJ Watt etc. over darrelle Revis and his retarded demands any day of the week. At the end of the day, I want a championship, not the right to say we have the "bestest corner in tha league".

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Your best player is a friggn' cornerback, they are a dime a dozen in the NFL.

Idzik is trying to improve the mess on the Jets and you "lose all respect" for him because he is trying to unload a poison and make the Jets a better football team?
    Ravens best player was a friggin MLB, they are a dime a dozen in the NFL. and they just won a superbowl. so what?
    if Revis is the best defensive player in the league (which he is imo) then he has all the rights to ask to be the best paid defensive player in the league.

how is Idzik trynna improve this mess? draft a player who then happens to be the best defensive player in the league and eventually is gonna ask to be paid? just so we can release him again?
    or should he just trade away all the picks so he doesnt risk the danger of getting a good player who will ask for money sooner or later in his career

youre saying the jets should just not have any good player on this team so we dont have to spend alot of money? yea lets just sign 50 guys off the street for 20k per year.
    Last edited by LB54; 02-27-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LB54 View Post
    If thats true John Idzik has already lost all of my respect as a person and as a GM.
    Taking over as a GM and then giving away your best Player / employee is the dumbest thing you can do.
    I would say devoting 10 to 12% of your cap space to one cornerback (which is what Revis will want to resign without exploring free agency) is the dumbest thing you can do!

Waterboy
    Is anybody else as sick of Mehta's "sources" as I am?? The whole article is regurgitated crap that has been out there before...Coming off injury, cap mess, so many holes. FWIW Tony Pauline on draft insider said there was NO talk of a revis trade at the combine. I'm 10000x more likely to trust what he says over our daily news/national enquirer beat writer Mehta.

Great post. A few of us here have been saying the same things for the last two years. Some people only see what they choose.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    It's amazing how many on this board would suck Revis off if they had the chance.

Trade him for whatever we can get.
    I will never understand the idol worshiping. But I think it is a small percentage of Jets fans who are 100% opposed to trading him.

If you watch TV it seems that nearly every analyst and former player pretty much thinks Revis is overplaying his hand and needs to STFU. Never thought I would be saying this but the Jets are actually winning in the court of public opinion on this one. Only a few media hacks are knocking the Jets and that is only to stir up controversy and sell papers so I don't count them.

I think Idzik has handled everything well to this point. Now lets see how he drafts b.c that is ultimately how he is going to be judged. If the team gets better and we find a QB nobody is going to give a rat's ass about Revis in a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I will never understand the idol worshiping. But I think it is a small percentage of Jets fans who are 100% opposed to trading him.

If you watch TV it seems that nearly every analyst and former player pretty much thinks Revis is overplaying his hand and needs to STFU. Never thought I would be saying this but the Jets are actually winning in the court of public opinion on this one. Only a few media hacks are knocking the Jets and that is only to stir up controversy and sell papers so I don't count them.

I think Idzik has handled everything well to this point. Now lets see how he drafts b.c that is ultimately how he is going to be judged. If the team gets better and we find a QB nobody is going to give a rat's ass about Revis in a couple of years.
    Appreciate him as a player, but I never liked Revis after he faked a "dizzy spell"/head injury at training camp during his last contract fiasco. I could never respect a person/player who was that ego/money driven.

Elite, shutdown CBs are a luxury. They are NOT a necessity, so who gives a **** if he's our best player? The fact that a ****ing CB is our best player is pathetic. Get over your fanboy bs and realize that it's not all about Revis, mmk? Swell.
    so who do you want to be our best player? the Ravens won a super bowl with their best player being a "****ing MLB". And if Lewis would be 26 now and ask to be the best paid defensive player, do you really think the Ravens would trade him? NO! Theyd give him the money he deserves.

But obviously the Jets dont feel like Revis deserves to be paid, and id be pissed too if i was him.

lets put it like this.. do you have a job? what if you're the best employee of your company. would you ask your boss for a pay raise or would you just keep on working and not say a word?

Jets Insider VIP
    My feeling is when you have great players, you keep great players and find a way to make it work — especially a guy like Revis, who doesn’t cause a bit of trouble off the field and despite the deterioration of the team around him, truly wants to remain with the Jets.

The last statement is false. Of course he causes trouble off the field. Doesn't the constant contract restructuring count as 'trouble off the field'?
    I certainly think it does. If he truly wanted to be a Jet for life he shouldn't have pissed off the organization not once but twice already in his short career.

Try this with your current employer and see if they want to continue to keep you around. They won't. And neither will the Jets.
    Last edited by Fishooked; 02-27-2013 at 09:10 AM.

Veteran
    As apposed to keeping him a year and letting him walk while getting nothing in return? Yes.

Slow the hell down there, Scooter. He's the best at his position, but that doesn't make him the defensive player in the NFL. Keep being a fanboy, though. It's cute.

Lots of words, yet you make no point with them. Now THAT'S talent.

I think you're right that he is a luxury and not a necessity. He was nice to have on a team that was winning playoff games and we're not that team right now. I guess I just don't understand why it's pathetic to have a player of that caliber. There are plenty of things pathetic about this franchise and I'm sorry but I just never saw Revis as one of them. There always seems to be this immediate distain for any player that leaves the team and I don't really get why.
    One of the few things in recent years this fan base has been able to be proud of is now pathetic. Was it pathetic the whole time he has been here? Because I'm far from the only person that's been excited to have Revis on the Jets these past years.

Banned

I'm sure you didn't care these past years while that "****ing CB" was only the best defensive player in the league.
    Please stop with this foolishness.

Revis has never been, nor will he ever be, the best defensive player in the league.

Veteran
    What remains to be seen, and is the key question, is if Revis and his agents will come to terms with the fact that (a) he's not a free agent, (b) he's coming off an ACL injury and (c) the NFL is in a flat cap era causing most teams to have little financial flexibility. If, and only if, they accept these FACTS, will a contract extension with the Jets be possible.

My guess, however, is that the answer will be NO because Revis and, more importantly, his agents will settle for nothing less than to have him eclipse Mario Williams's $16M a year contract -- in which case, I'm all for trading him for 2014 draft picks.