Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tony Pauline: 2013 NFL mock draft: Geno Smith in top 10?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another player the Jets were rumored to be very interested in (Christine Michael) supposedly missed two different team meetings at the combine because he slept in.

I agree about the Jarvis Jones comment. He checks out that is who I want.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    I'm ok with Warmack.

I'd still like to trade down if the Top 8 picks end up like that
    Mayoch has said that after the top 10 picks there not much difference between the 10th and 25th picks. Possible trade partners include the Rams and Bengals. Rams are going all offense and they have two first round picks. Mock drafts have them taking WR Coradelle Patterson and at least three of the top offensive linemen to protect Sam Bradford. None are likely to be there at the Rams 16th pick. Rams have the 16th and 22nd picks (Redskins pick after RGIII trade).

Bengals have the 21st pick and two 2nd round picks. I'd like to see the Jets wind up with a late 1st round pick (16, 21 or 22) and either two 2nd round picks or two 3rd round picks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Our oline was not a huge problem last year. Awful Qb and an awful RB hurt them as much as anything.
    This 100x

It should also be noted that the raiders are so infatuated with Geno that they're expected to be the first team at the WVU pro day with a huge team of scouts

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    He is not that safe

There was a recent report from the combine that warmack is simply not very smart and that as defenses adjust throughout the game, he isnt able to adapt.

Now, obviously everyone has red flags, but the point is there is no one who is cant miss.

Lastly, if you take the consensus best passrusher and he fails you dont get fired for it.

If you take a guard and the Ansah becomes JPP and warmack becomes chris naole, you will not only get fired, but probably have trouble getting a good job in the league ever again.
    I always wondered why he hasn't opted at all to show that he has the versatility to play center as well. Probably just found the answer

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think, given the lack of top-shelf talent, we're going to see two QBs in the top 10. Between Oak, Jax, Buf, Ariz, the Jets... and even Philly, who I could see taking Geno and letting him sit a year behind Vick.

Who else are these teams gonna take?

Here's how I see the top 8 going. I'm sure I'll be way off, but this makes sense to me right now.

1. KC -Joeckel
    2. Jax - Floyd
    3. Oak - Fisher
    4. Phi - Geno
    5. Det - Milliner
    6. Cle - Jarvis
    7. Ari - Barkley
    8. Buf - Warmack
    9. NYJ - ... who do you take here? Ansah for me.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I think, given the lack of top-shelf talent, we're going to see two QBs in the top 10. Between Oak, Jax, Buf, Ariz, the Jets... and even Philly, who I could see taking Geno and letting him sit a year behind Vick.

Here's how I see the top 8 going. I'm sure I'll be way off, but this makes sense to me right now.

1. KC -Joeckel
    2. Jax - Floyd
    3. Oak - Fisher
    4. Phi - Geno
    5. Det - Milliner
    6. Cle - Jarvis
    7. Ari - Barkley
    8. Buf - Warmack
    or vacarro. maybe cordarelle.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    or vacarro. maybe cordarelle.
    Hell no to Vacarro. Hell motherfukin no. He is no where close to an elite, top 10 type, S prospect.

I would be excited about Patterson because the dude is a freakish runner but it's too early for him IMO.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

1. KC -Joeckel
    2. Jax - Floyd
    3. Oak - Fisher
    4. Phi - Geno
    5. Det - Milliner
    6. Cle - Jarvis
    7. Ari - Barkley
    8. Buf - Warmack
    You trade down.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hell no to Vacarro. Hell motherfukin no. He is no where close to an elite, top 10 type, S prospect.

I would be excited about Patterson because the dude is a freakish runner but it's too early for him IMO.
    that's the problem with this draft in general. there are few elite, top 10 players period. if the jets can't trade back they still will draft someone. vacarro has good size and covers well. he's a relatively low risk pick, compared to guys like mingo. i don't love the idea but there really aren't many other options. you want to draft lane johnson and stick him at RT?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kali yuga View Post
    You trade down.
    With who, for what? Who is available that anybody would trade for?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    that's the problem with this draft in general. there are few elite, top 10 players period. if the jets can't trade back they still will draft someone. vacarro has good size and covers well. he's a relatively low risk pick, compared to guys like mingo. i don't love the idea but there really aren't many other options. you want to draft lane johnson and stick him at RT?
    I would take about 10-15 guys before Vacarro.

Ansah
    Mingo
    Montgomery
    Moore
    Trufant
    Ogeltree
    Werner
    Patterson
    Ertz
    Lane Johnson
    Richardson

That's just off the top of my head right now. Might be more.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of people said the same thing about Mark Barron last year at this time.

And he ended up having an awesome rookie season.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kali yuga View Post
    You trade down.
    Why do you assume anyone wants to trade UP?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Exactly

What team is willing to give up extra picks to move up in a draft that is devoid of top end talent?

The Jets will be picking at #9, guaranteed.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    A lot of people said the same thing about Mark Barron last year at this time.

And he ended up having an awesome rookie season.
    They didn't take him at 4 though. They traded down to get Barron, and got some extra pics. Which in turn allowed them to trade up for a guy they really wanted in Doug Martin. Martin had an even better rookie season.

If the Bucs stand pat and take Barron at 4, they don't get Martin.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    They didn't take him at 4 though. They traded down to get Barron, and got some extra pics. Which in turn allowed them to trade up for a guy they really wanted in Doug Martin. Martin had an even better rookie season.

If the Bucs stand pat and take Barron at 4, they don't get Martin.
    that's not the main point. the point is each draft is different. the jets this year at 9 may take a safety b/c they don't trust players at other positions enough.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    that's not the main point. the point is each draft is different. the jets this year at 9 may take a safety b/c they don't trust players at other positions enough.
    I get it.

My point however is, if you are gonna reach for a player, it's better to trade down for them and get some extra picks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I get it.

My point however is, if you are gonna reach for a player, it's better to trade down for them and get some extra picks.
    without question, in theory. but in reality, the ability to trade is contingent on finding a trading partner.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Because Roger Goodell wanted it so.

No longer is there an added detriment of a gigantic contact in addition to draft picks when trading up into the top ten. There is a rookie salary scale now.

Teams can afford to jump up to find that "missing piece". The rookie cap is designed to make draft day trades more amicable, and thus, draft day more exciting. It's going to happen more often now because teams are past the cautionary stage.

And because "top ten pick" is almost as much of a panic term for front offices as it is for fans.

For those that have one and do not see the player they want, it is an unwanted curse. For those that do see that player, it is now the golden ring.

There are plenty of GMs out there desperate enough to please idiot fans by grabbing a top ten player.

The Jets just need to be smart enough to find one of them.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Exactly

What team is willing to give up extra picks to move up in a draft that is devoid of top end talent?

The Jets will be picking at #9, guaranteed.
    I'd be interested in seeing some of your other guaranteed predictions. I bet most of them are not very well thought out and mainly incorrect.