Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Report: Jets trying to re-sign safety LaRon Landry

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Report: Jets trying to re-sign safety LaRon Landry

Take it with a grain of salt considering who is reporting it.....
    ----------------------------------------------
    Jets safety LaRon Landry will become an unrestricted free agent in March. the hard hitting safety had a good year and played all 16 games in 2012 for the first time in four years.

The capped strapped Jets have had discussions and had made it known they are trying to sign Landry, Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports.

Landry has been said to be seeking at least $6 million per year.

Hall Of Fame
    Key word "trying".

Jets: OK, LaRon, here is 3 years 12.5 million. What do you say?

LaRon: No

Jets: We tried.

Veteran
    Given Laron's injury history, I'm guessing the stumbling block might be guarantees/injury clause rather that the total contract amount.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Key word "trying".

Exactly!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Key word "trying".

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Exactly!
    I don't know if its that much of a token effort. I guess it all depends on what the Market is for him and while he's looking for $6m/yr, it doesn't mean he'll get it.

He looked good to the naked eye but a lot of the statistical analyses don't hold him in as high an esteem. Personally, I don't put too much stock in those analyses for a safety, but while we remember the big hits (and they certainly have real value), its more important that he is in proper position to make the ordinary play - something that he may not have been as competent at.

Key word "trying".

Pretty much, yea.

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Given Laron's injury history, I'm guessing the stumbling block might be guarantees/injury clause rather that the total contract amount.
    That is the only smart way to make the deal if I was the Jets. If I had a crystal ball and knew he would stay on the field. Then I would want to resign him as much as many posters here do. I just think the odds of him playing back to back 16 game seasons are very slim.

Hopefully they can come to a reasonable agreement but we obviously can't hamstring ourselves over one player. If another team is willing to pay significantly more let him go there.
    Last edited by boxman; 02-27-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I don't know if its that much of a token effort. I guess it all depends on what the Market is for him and while he's looking for $6m/yr, it doesn't mean he'll get it.

He looked good to the naked eye but a lot of the statistical analyses don't hold him in as high an esteem. Personally, I don't put too much stock in those analyses for a safety, but while we remember the big hits (and they certainly have real value), its more important that he is in proper position to make the ordinary play - something that he may not have been as competent at.
    This. He is a not a cover safety. Is he light years ahead of Eric Smith? You bet, he has way more athletic ability. But he should be limited to being an SS, mainly in the box. I wouldn't go higher than 4 million a year for 3 years. Possibly 5 mill with injury clauses.

All League
    If the market dictates $5m a year then I would definitely look at a contract that has injury clauses for him. But if he does go somewhere else, then there will be players that will love to make $5m at the safety spot. Byrd for Buffalo is a solid safety with cover skills and so to is Moore out of the ATL.

Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    If the market dictates $5m a year then I would definitely look at a contract that has injury clauses for him. But if he does go somewhere else, then there will be players that will love to make $5m at the safety spot. Byrd for Buffalo is a solid safety with cover skills and so to is Moore out of the ATL.
    Teams that were in the playoffs last year don't "need" him.
    Teams that were not in the playoffs will be leary of his injurys.
    I would sign this guy with too much guaranteed money either.
    Lets see what happens.

LaRon was a good investment last season. But he's as good as gone.

Only if he was moving into Bell's place at SS where he succeeded at in Washington. He's not a FS. He was a major liability in pass coverage as our previous FS. He's a very good SS, and if they can get him for the right price it would be a nice thing to keep him, but FS must be manned by a draft pick or Antonio Allen or Josh Bush.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Only if he was moving into Bell's place at SS where he succeeded at in Washington. He's not a FS. He was a major liability in pass coverage as our previous FS. He's a very good SS, and if they can get him for the right price it would be a nice thing to keep him, but FS must be manned by a draft pick or Antonio Allen or Josh Bush.
    Good point. Bush yes, but Allen isn't a FS either.

key word is injury. landry has been injury prone and the way he plays it's surprising he's still so good. now if the jets can get some incentives in there for games played it might be worthwhile at big money.

Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Take it with a grain of salt considering who is reporting it.....
    ----------------------------------------------
    Jets safety LaRon Landry will become an unrestricted free agent in March. the hard hitting safety had a good year and played all 16 games in 2012 for the first time in four years.

The capped strapped Jets have had discussions and had made it known they are trying to sign Landry, Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports.

Landry has been said to be seeking at least $6 million per year.

in idzik we trust. landry for the right price is a no brainer.

Don't think he's worth more than $4 million next year +cuttable out-years. I liked the reports that the Jets want Quin out of Houston.

Agree that Landry could be a force at Yeremiah Bell's spot with a rangy, cover-safety type on the other side of the field. But not at the price he'll command.

Starting to think the safeties on the roster next year will be: Bell, Allen, Bush, and someone like Duke Williams, T.J. McDonald, Cyprien, or Earl Wolff in the middle rounds. Which I'd be okay, but not thrilled with.

All League
    Since I am down here in Fla, can one of you guys do me a solid and next time you run into Manish*thead punch him in the crotchal region?

This dude is a heaping pile and needs to be knocked the f*ck out!

Jets absolutely have to resign Landry if they trade Revis. Otherwise our secondary will be the worst in the NFL next yr.

Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    LaRon was a good investment last season. But he's as good as gone.
    If he was good as gone, we wouldn't be reading about news that the Jets are trying to resign him.