Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Neither is Smith
    He was in SF...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    LMAO the Chiefs are dumb.

Just unreal.
    The Chiefs now have something the Jets don't.

A legitimate NFL QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    He was in SF...
    smh..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This sounds like a fleecing but is incredibly standard these days. Palmer went for a 1st and conditional, remember? Kolb got a 2nd as well. QBs who have proven that they don't completely suck are basically gold in today's NFL.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 02-27-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    The Chiefs now have something the Jets don't.

A legitimate NFL QB.
    Are you sure? Just asking. I think the system and the coaching had a lot to do with his improved play. I would like see how he does with KC for a year or two before I make up my mind for sure.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Are you sure? Just asking. I think the system and the coaching had a lot to do with his improved play. I would like see how he does with KC for a year or two before I make up my mind for sure.
    You think they would have learned their lesson with Cassel.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    They get an experienced starting QB that is a good fit for Reid's WC offense vs a draft pick this yr and mid round next yr (per Shefter)...

Once Harbaugh came aboard Smith became more than avg..IMO..And Reid has a good history with QBs (as does Mornhinweg)

I think it's a good trade for both teams...JMO

Also it was reported by La Canfora AZ was interested in Smith but KC's proposal was better
    Everybody wins in Alex Smith trade to Chiefs

By Mike Freeman | National NFL Insider

What happened in the NFL on a quiet Wednesday afternoon was something extremely rare: A trade was made in the NFL and everyone involved in the trade won. Yes, everyone.

The Chiefs win. They get Alex Smith, who despite limited arm strength and a rocky career has rebounded to where he's one of the more solid throwers in football. Smith is 20-8-1 (including the playoffs) the past two years.

The 49ers win. They will get, at least, a reported second-round pick in 2013. They have their quarterback of the future in Colin Kaepernick and now get two high picks for Smith. Those picks are gold.

Alex Smith wins. He gets to be a starter. He's rewarded for being a class act. Kaepernick wins. It's his team now. Andy Reid, coach of the Chiefs, also wins. He gets his starter to build the offense around.

See what I mean?

Sure, you can poke holes in some of the trade, or all of this, but you'd be pushing it. Smith is still relatively young, he's smart and adaptable. He's perfect for Reid's system, particularly since Reid doesn't have his pass throwers toss deep balls. His system values short-range accuracy and Smith can do that.

Smith isn't a stopgap. He can play another five years, minimum, at a top level.

This approach for Reid is far smarter than going through the draft. Who would you rather have? Matt Barkley or Alex Smith? I'll take Smith. Every personnel evaluator would take Smith for what could end up being two second-rounders.

NFL history is riddled with the carcasses of high draft picks who have gone on to be busts. Go down the list: David Carr, Todd Marinovich, JaMarcus Russell, Tim Couch, Dave Brown, Joey Harrington, Cade McNown, Akili Smith, Andre Ware, Rick Mirer and, maybe the biggest quarterback bust of all time, Ryan Leaf.

On and on it goes.

You get the proven commodity. That's it. That's all. Especially if that commodity has proven to be good.

So, for one of the first times ever, in an NFL trade:
    Everyone wins.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mi...rade-to-chiefs

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Alex Smith looked like a top 10 QB this year, that doesn't just happen as a result of the system.

The Chiefs just got themselves a QB for the first time since they had Trent Green and Vermeil there. Good for them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol, Chief fans are going ballistic over this on some of their fan forums.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    SF is loaded with draft picks..They have 12 now without compensatory picks announced yet???

A 1, 2 #2s, 2#3s...They'll be trading up all draft to get guys they want and end up with 6-7 studs.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post...round-no-comps
    I wonder how many they will offer to the Jets for Revis?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    smh..
    Geez, smh myself... last time I checked he was riding the pine and Kaepernick started...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geez, smh myself... last time I checked he was riding the pine and Kaepernick started...
    LOL! Scary it has to be spelled out

1) he was the starter until his concussion & look at his record the past 2 seasons...
    2) is he backing up in KC
    3) and this "backup" was the starter that destroyed Rex's vaunted D...

but yeah, he's a backup....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    define ballistic.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    probably same fans that cheered when Cassel was lying on the field with a concussion...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    For a meh game manager who's only 'ok' when he has an elite Defense and great running game? Oh, Chiefs...
    wait --- we traded Sanchez????

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

1) he was the starter until his concussion & look at his record the past 2 seasons...

Of course he started before and he will most likely start for KC. But in terms of his value he is traded by SF as the backup, plain and simple. They aren't trading their starting QB.

Don't give me the story that he is some kind of world beater QB...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of course he started before and he will most likely start for KC. But in terms of his value he is traded by SF as the backup, plain and simple. They aren't trading their starting QB.

Don't give me the story that he is some kind of world beater QB...
    Not true..You wouldn't get the 34th pick and a pick next year for a backup i.e. Drew Stanton, Jason Campbell etc....

Where did I say he's a world beater? But look at his stats the past 2 seasons once a competent coach came aboard (sigh)..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

1) The concussion was the only publicly legitimate "excuse" a winning team had to replace their starter mid-season with the better backup
    2) No, but he's not doing anything special for your team.. Oh, and he is coached by the best HC in the league not named Belichick
    3) Destroyed? LOL, the guy threw 21 passes and ended up with 143 yards passing for zero TDs. LETHAL. You could even argue that Kaepnerick was the better QB that day and he only threw one pass.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everybody wins in Alex Smith trade to Chiefs

By Mike Freeman | National NFL Insider

What happened in the NFL on a quiet Wednesday afternoon was something extremely rare: A trade was made in the NFL and everyone involved in the trade won. Yes, everyone.

The Chiefs win. They get Alex Smith, who despite limited arm strength and a rocky career has rebounded to where he's one of the more solid throwers in football. Smith is 20-8-1 (including the playoffs) the past two years.

The 49ers win. They will get, at least, a reported second-round pick in 2013. They have their quarterback of the future in Colin Kaepernick and now get two high picks for Smith. Those picks are gold.

Alex Smith wins. He gets to be a starter. He's rewarded for being a class act. Kaepernick wins. It's his team now. Andy Reid, coach of the Chiefs, also wins. He gets his starter to build the offense around.

See what I mean?

Sure, you can poke holes in some of the trade, or all of this, but you'd be pushing it. Smith is still relatively young, he's smart and adaptable. He's perfect for Reid's system, particularly since Reid doesn't have his pass throwers toss deep balls. His system values short-range accuracy and Smith can do that.

Smith isn't a stopgap. He can play another five years, minimum, at a top level.

This approach for Reid is far smarter than going through the draft. Who would you rather have? Matt Barkley or Alex Smith? I'll take Smith. Every personnel evaluator would take Smith for what could end up being two second-rounders.

NFL history is riddled with the carcasses of high draft picks who have gone on to be busts. Go down the list: David Carr, Todd Marinovich, JaMarcus Russell, Tim Couch, Dave Brown, Joey Harrington, Cade McNown, Akili Smith, Andre Ware, Rick Mirer and, maybe the biggest quarterback bust of all time, Ryan Leaf.

On and on it goes.

You get the proven commodity. That's it. That's all. Especially if that commodity has proven to be good.

So, for one of the first times ever, in an NFL trade:
    Everyone wins.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mi...rade-to-chiefs
    Something tells me if the Jets made this move the story would be different

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    Alex Smith looked like a top 10 QB this year, that doesn't just happen as a result of the system.

The Chiefs just got themselves a QB for the first time since they had Trent Green and Vermeil there. Good for them.
    when did that occur?? As I recall last year, Harbaugh sent this awful hot garbage to the bench early in the season and his replacement led SF to the superbowl