Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay Glazer: Alex Smith to KC

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    the chiefs traded 2 2nd rounders for chad pennington with no shoulder issues but with a concussion history. it's as if andy reid is content to have an average qb in a weak afc so he can contend immediately and if it doesn't work, oh well, at least the team didn't suck.
    So that means Revis has a concussion history.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    So that means Revis has a concussion history.
    yes. what's the point?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    And who is more important to a team?

An average to good QB or an elite CB?
    I don't think that logic holds. Where are they usually drafted? an elite CB can go easily in the top five. An average/good QB may go in the lower end of the first or more likely in the second. That's how teams evaluate your question...

Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    The only thing they both have in common is Smith sucked enough on a good enough team to be benched and got a SB ring. Mark doesn't have anyone near as good enough backing him up to ever get a ring.
    My gawd people he wasn't benched on performance. He was completing 70% with 13-5.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    yes. what's the point?
    1 concussion means you have a history? I'd say multiple, yes. But 1? I'm guessing 3/4 of the NFL meets that definition.

Did the season start today? How is this not tampering if true?

@ESPNStatsInfo: What acquiring Alex Smith might mean for the Chiefs and why he was one of the NFL's most efficient QBs since 2011: http://t.co/ibeLJMOvx4

Chiefs drawn to Smith's efficiency
    February, 27, 2013

By ESPN Stats & Information

Alex Smith is reportedly heading to Kansas City after spending eight seasons with the 49ers.
    The San Francisco 49ers have reportedly traded 2005 first-overall pick Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs. In return, the 49ers would receive the Chiefs’ second-round pick in 2013 (No. 34 overall) and a conditional mid-round pick in the 2014 draft.

Smith would be the latest in a line of former 49ers quarterbacks that have moved to Kansas City:

• Joe Montana was traded from San Francisco to Kansas City in April of 1993. He led the Chiefs to a pair of playoff appearances in two seasons and advanced all the way to the AFC Championship Game in 1993.

• Steve Bono was a highly regarded backup in San Francisco when he was traded to the Chiefs in 1994. Bono became the Chiefs starter in 1995 and led the team to a 13-3 record.

• Elvis Grbac spent his first four seasons with the 49ers before signing with the Chiefs as a free agent in 1997. Grbac spent four seasons as the Chiefs starter before moving on to Baltimore.

• And now it's Alex Smith's turn. Drafted first overall by the 49ers in 2005, Smith led San Francisco to the NFC Championship game in 2011 before Colin Kaepernick took over as starter in Week 11 of this season.

In terms of Total QBR, the trade makes a lot of sense from the Chiefs’ perspective. Smith was the seventh-most efficient quarterback in 2012 with a rating of 70.1.

Worst Team Total QBR Last Season
    Cardinals21.4
    Jets24.7
    Browns28.7
    Chiefs31.9
    >> Alex Smith: 70.1 (7th in NFL)

The Chiefs, on the other hand, ranked 29th in QBR at 31.9. Only the Browns, Jets, and the Cardinals were worse last season.

One reason that Smith posted such a high QBR in 2012 is that he was an accurate passer who took care of the ball.

Smith led the NFL with a 70.2 completion percentage last season and, since 2011, has thrown an interception on just 1.5 percent of his pass attempts. Among qualified passers over that span, only Aaron Rodgers (1.3) has thrown interceptions at a lower rate.

In Kansas City, quarterbacks have not been nearly as secure with the ball. Chiefs quarterbacks committed 29 turnovers in 2012 including 20 interceptions. The 29 turnovers trailed only the Jets (33) for most in the NFL and the 20 interceptions were one shy of the league-leading Cardinals (21).

Kansas City also threw a league-low eight touchdown passes in 2012, the fewest in a single season by any team since the 2007 Oakland Raiders (seven).

Alex Smith threw 13 touchdown passes in just nine games last season and his 30 touchdowns since 2011 are nine more than Chiefs passers have thrown over the same span.

Will the move pay immediate dividends? AccuScore seems to think so. According to 10,000 computer simulations, Alex Smith is worth approximately 2.2 wins for the Chiefs in 2013 and improves their chances of reaching the playoffs from 0.2 percent to 8.8 percent.

All that said, Smith will be forced to start from scratch in 2013. Doug Pederson will be the eighth offensive coordinator that Smith has played under in just his ninth season in the league. The last two seasons marked just the second time in his career that he had the same coordinator to begin consecutive NFL seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    How is it tampering? SF is talking to KC and vice versa. KC isn't talking to Alex Smith

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    The Chiefs now have something the Jets don't.

A legitimate NFL QB.
    Ricky Stanzi finishes the year mark it.

This is not a bad deal for the Chiefs if Smith can play the way he did last season for the 49ers. He was very good before his injury, actually had some great (not just good) games. If he takes a step back with a worse supporting cast and Geno Smith comes out and has a great rookie season, then it looks pretty bad. But a 2nd round pick is not a lot to give up to get a QB under 30 who was playing at a pretty high level before his injury. QBs have so much more value than any other position. If Smith plays great next season, this was a steal for them.

Hall Of Fame
    Good deal for both sides.

You guys forget that Reid made that bum Vick look decent for a season. He will definitely get the best out of Smith. They have a good running game and a legit #1 WR.

SF is now loaded with picks. I am sure they will make a run at Revis. But we better not trade him for no lousy 33rd overall.

Hall Of Fame
    Goes on all the time. How do you think things get done? This is what agents are for.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Good deal for both sides.

You guys forget that Reid made that bum Vick look decent for a season. He will definitely get the best out of Smith. They have a good running game and a legit #1 WR.

SF is now loaded with picks. I am sure they will make a run at Revis. But we better not trade him for no lousy 33rd overall.
    Reid always seemed to get better than expected results from his QBs. And they do have good skill position players. They still have their #1 pick. Nobody they drafted at QB at #33 would have been better than Smith for the next couple seasons, no way.

Goes on all the time. How do you think things get done? This is what agents are for.
    It's not tampering. KC didn't talk to smith. It was a trade

All Pro
    Is KC tampering with SF, or is SF tampering with KC?

Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    Alex Smith looked like a top 10 QB this year, that doesn't just happen as a result of the system.

The Chiefs just got themselves a QB for the first time since they had Trent Green and Vermeil there. Good for them.
    Sorry McClane. Don't agree with ya here. And yes he did play well, I think a lot of QB'S in his position would have as well further proving my point. Talk to us in a few years and see if you still feel the same way. Bet you don't though. Sure he will play better than Cassel that is not saying much. He will not play anywhere near the level he played his last 20 games IMO.

Hall Of Fame
    It's not tampering. KC didn't talk to smith. It was a trade
    I know. But I am sure that KC knows what Smith is looking for in terms of a contract. That was probably made clear to them by Smith's agent and/or the 49ers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Sorry McClane. Don't agree with ya here. And yes he did play well, I think a lot of QB'S in his position would have as well further proving my point. Talk to us in a few years and see if you still feel the same way. Bet you don't though. Sure he will play better than Cassel that is not saying much. He will not play anywhere near the level he played his last 20 games IMO.
    Why not? Maybe not 70% but 65%+ is possible. The Chiefs have a good run game. Good OL. If they sign Bowe, good WRs and will be better coached than they were last season.

I know. But I am sure that KC knows what Smith is looking for in terms of a contract. That was probably made clear to them by Smith's agent and/or the 49ers.
    He has a contract. 2 years left.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...as-is-for-now/

Why not? Maybe not 70% but 65%+ is possible. The Chiefs have a good run game. Good OL. If they sign Bowe, good WRs and will be better coached than they were last season.
    Look you could be right. It's just my opinion. I have never been an Alex Smith guy. I am in the camp that is happy the Jets never made a play for him. I think it took him some time in the leauge to "earn" the title game manager. That he is. I would rather have a franchize QB for my team thats all.