Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Revis to San Fran?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    You want to buy into the 2014 draft if you are interested in obtaining a franchise QB. As Sal Palintonio said on ESPN the only way you can justify a Revis trade is if it nets you a potential franchise QB. Trading Revis for San Fransico's first round pick in this years draft-so they can use it to obtain a nice OG- is not good enough.
    I think that's why you push for two picks in the top 40 (either both 2s or a 1 and 2), that's essentially 2 starters.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    They are a team built to win now and would prefer a STUD CB versus young prospects they would get in the draft. Why would you need someone to explain this to you?
    What does their cap situation look like? The question is do they have the money and the desire to lock Revis up long term at $15+ million for 6-7 years. If not, Revis doesn't negotiate and the trade doesn't happen.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you say so, but I doubt it happens.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    What does their cap situation look like? The question is do they have the money and the desire to lock Revis up long term at $15+ million for 6-7 years. If not, Revis doesn't negotiate and the trade doesn't happen.
    I don't think cap factors in as much from a contender's standpoint, just backload and offset with guaranteed money in the form of signing and easily achievable performance bonuses.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...rancisco-49ers

Dunno how much money the Smith trade helps the cap, but I doubt the 9ers are looking to "help" their cap by trading away good picks for a player who's got 1 year left on his contract and is going to want mad money.
    Smith saves San Fran 8.75 million.

Cutting David Akers can save another 3 million,

Gore has a big roster bonus and is due to make 6.5, they can restructure him and save a few million easly.

Whitner is making almost 5 million, they could cut him and use the money to sign Goldson who I would think they value more than Whitner.

There a couple of other guys they cut to save a couple million here and there.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    You want to buy into the 2014 draft if you are interested in obtaining a franchise QB. And as Sal Palintonio said on ESPN the only way you can justify a Revis trade is if it nets you a potential franchise QB. Trading Revis for San Fransico's first round pick in this years draft-so they can use it to obtain a nice OG- is not good enough.

I don't disagree with you. I'm not thrilled with the crop of qbs this year. But we have to live in the now. I don't think Woody Johnson wants to pay Revis big money. Revis wants to be paid. He isn't going to sign with the Jets and I don't want him to leave and the Jets get nothing. It's hard to make trades in the NFL. The best trades in the NFL are for draft picks. Why don't the Jets get more picks build a better all around team and maybe get lucky drafting a qb this year or look to get one in 2014.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Almost positive that you cannot trade the pick you receive via trade.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    You can't trade compensatory picks. I'd still rather trade for a 2, and 3 this year, and a 1 next year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you can only NOT trade compensatory picks...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's happened before..

6 Washington Redskins (traded to Dallas via St.Louis)[R1 1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NFL_Draft

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsman51 View Post
    I think you can only NOT trade compensatory picks...
    Correct!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    You can't trade compensatory picks. I'd still rather trade for a 2, and 3 this year, and a 1 next year.
    The 1 next year would have to be a conditional based on playing time and ability to sign Revis long term.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    The 1 next year would have to be a conditional based on playing time and ability to sign Revis long term.
    Bingo! Been saying it for a couple of months...You get a #1 or #2 pick this season and conditional 2014 based on your above...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now all we need is another team to throw their hat in the Revis ring, and we could have ourselves a good ol' fashioned bidding war.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes you can. It happens all the time.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes you can, it's comp picks that can not be traded.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Now all we need is another team to throw their hat in the Revis ring, and we could have ourselves a good ol' fashioned bidding war.
    Yup, the key to any trade is competition.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is horrible draft to accumulate picks in.

..and revis isn't healthy yet. Forget it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis byrd 90 View Post
    I don't disagree with you. I'm not thrilled with the crop of qbs this year. But we have to live in the now. I don't think Woody Johnson wants to pay Revis big money. Revis wants to be paid. He isn't going to sign with the Jets and I don't want him to leave and the Jets get nothing. It's hard to make trades in the NFL. The best trades in the NFL are for draft picks. Why don't the Jets get more picks build a better all around team and maybe get lucky drafting a qb this year or look to get one in 2014.
    So then make the trade with SF for their 2014 first round pick and a lesser pick in this years draft? San Fransico is built to win a Super Bowl now; adding Revis could put them over the top. I would think that pushing compensation for Revis another year down the road may be appealing to a win now team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Screw that, trade him to a team like Buffalo who will suck this year. The higher the draft pick the closer we can get to a bad ass player next year.

Although I'm gonna defer to our new GM.