Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Revis to San Fran?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    If all we gonna get is a 2nd rnd pick, then fck it, I'll take the comp 3rd next year and get my money's worth out of Revis this year.

...but no. Unless he fetches the kind of trade that makes sense, then you hang on to him, and work out an extension next year. It's not ideal, but it's the hand we've been dealt.
    1) that comp is based on a formula based on FAs signed vs FAs lost and other parameters..a 3rd is at best

2) get your money's worth this season while winning 6 games?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If all we gonna get is a 2nd rnd pick, then fck it, I'll take the comp 3rd next year and get my money's worth out of Revis this year.

...but no. Unless he fetches the kind of trade that makes sense, then you hang on to him, and work out an extension next year. It's not ideal, but it's the hand we've been dealt.
    Would you take 2 twos? The 34th and 61st??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    San Francisco makes sense as a destination, but I think it's likely that there will be some sort of performance-based aspect to this deal based on how healthy he is in 2013.

Maybe we get their first (or two seconds) this season, and a conditional first next year if he starts more than 12 games or makes the pro bowl or whatever.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't do it for only a 2nd. But if we can land their 1st and KC's 2nd giving us 4 picks in the top 39 allowing us to fill a ton of holes (LB/OG/RB/TE) I would consider it. This draft is very deep from through the top of the 2nd round. If we ended up with a Mingo with our 9th and 3 guys like Ertz/Lacey/Warford/Elam with the rest of our early picks, I would be pretty happy with that.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't want a handful of beans for our best player in the last 25 years. Sorry.
    I agree and Revis is the best CB in the NFL but we have to look at it like this:

1. How many players flop once they sign a huge contact? Look at Mario Williams last year. Highest paid defensive player and didn't look anything close to it. The Texans seemed to do fine without him.

2. He has a torn ACL who knows how he will come back. I think strong but still.

3. I'd rather get something for him than nothing. I doubt we will re-sign him so if we get a couple draft picks its better than nothing. We traded Abraham and got Mangold. We traded Keyshawn and get Abraham and Pennington.

4. I think his two holdouts rubbed Woody the wrong way.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    1) that comp is based on a formula based on FAs signed vs FAs lost and other parameters..a 3rd is at best

2) get your money's worth this season while winning 6 games?
    Ya, that's right. You play to win, remember?

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I would cringe at that, personally. I'd take their 31st, 34th and next year's 2nd.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The ideal scenario would be a 1st in 2014, and a 2nd/3rd in 2013.

IMO, seeing the compensation the Alex Smith trade yielded.....i think that's more than fair for a player of Revis's caliber.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    Revis should be worth 3 1st round picks after seeing what SF received in the Alex Smith trade.
    While you are correct if you look at it as player vs player, the fact is trades are as much about leverage as they are about the players or picks involved.

We are so royally screwed with the situation we are in with Revis, that you cant compare it to smiths deal at all.

If SF was willing to trade 31 adn 34 for Revis (which I dont even think they will) I would jump at that in a second.

9 - Ansah DE
    31 - Best available CB
    34 - Best guard left
    39 - Jonathon Cyprien S

Fills many holes and lets use our 3rd for a RB and 4th for another LB and hopefully send our 5th to seattle for flynn.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    While you are correct if you look at it as player vs player, the fact is trades are as much about leverage as they are about the players or picks involved.

We are so royally screwed with the situation we are in with Revis, that you cant compare it to smiths deal at all.

If SF was willing to trade 31 adn 34 for Revis (which I dont even think they will) I would jump at that in a second.

9 - Ansah DE
    31 - Best available CB
    34 - Best guard left
    39 - Jonathon Cyprien S

Fills many holes and lets use our 3rd for a RB and 4th for another LB and hopefully send our 5th to seattle for flynn.
    I think our leverage is Harbaugh's desperation to win NOW. What other player can they acquire this offseason that can help them more than Revis? Like I said, if Revis is covering Boldin in the SB the niners win.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

9 - Ansah DE
    31 - Best available CB
    34 - Best guard left
    39 - Jonathon Cyprien S

This would be highway robbery and could essentially create a new core-4.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't wait till the Jets don't draft an OLB with the 9th or 39th pick. I always enjoy JI's reaction.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

9 - Ansah DE
    31 - Best available CB
    34 - Best guard left
    39 - Jonathon Cyprien S

If I'm Idzik, I would try and squeeze a 1st rounder from the 2014 draft. The QB talent level is much better next year, and I wouldn't mind having the extra 1st round pick in the event that we may need to trade up into the top 10.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

9 - Ansah DE
    31 - Best available CB
    34 - Best guard left
    39 - Jonathon Cyprien S

so you would recommend that for a team that can't score points, they should avoid drafting any offensive skill players in the first two rounds?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The ideal scenario would be a 1st in 2014, and a 2nd/3rd in 2013.

IMO, seeing the compensation the Alex Smith trade yielded.....i think that's more than fair for a player of Revis's caliber.
    The issue is that Smith is a QB and will not make close to what Revis will make. The cost involved with signing Revis is going to keep the compensation down. The Jets are not going to get "fair" value for Revis given the situation.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The issue is that Smith is a QB and will not make close to what Revis will make. The cost involved with signing Revis is going to keep the compensation down. The Jets are not going to get "fair" value for Revis given the situation.
    If the Jets are dealing with a single team, then I agree.

Which is why Idzik desperately needs to create a bidding war.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would take the 34th pick, SF's other 2nd rounder, and their 1st next season, maybe they throw in one of their young CB's as well like Culliver.....Anything less than that just keep Revis

Don't know why exactly we want to get rid of the best defensive player in the NFL, well I do, but still.....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I'm Idzik, I would try and squeeze a 1st rounder from the 2014 draft. The QB talent level is much better next year, and I wouldn't mind having the extra 1st round pick in the event that we may need to trade up into the top 10.
    This situation has been mentioned VERY often on the board here and I want to seriously ask everyone to look at it more objectively.

Outside of last year with the RGIII situation, when was the last time that a team had a "franchise" QB sitting available for them in the draft and traded out of the pick? I dont know if its ever happened outside of that freak situation.

Im not saying a first round pick in 2014 is a bad thing, but if you think we are going to trade up for teddy bridgewater, Im just saying there is virtuatlly zero precedence for that.

St Louis was a rebuilding team that had a lot of holes and THEN lost their young franchise QB. Thats how they wound up where they were. Who is in that boat now as a team.

Detroit? Sure, but they still have a good Dline, will have millner and of course Calvin.

Bears? Miami?

Im just saying that it is EXTREMELY rare for:

1. A franchise QB to be available for more then 1 team in a draft
    2. A team to also have a QB they want more then the potential pick

We cant put our eggs in that basket, especially when this draft is pretty strong as far as 2nd round players at the positions we need.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    so you would recommend that for a team that can't score points, they should avoid drafting any offensive skill players in the first two rounds?
    Yes. There are no exceptional skill position players that are worth the 9th pick.

The depth at WR and RB is really in round 3 which I am all for addressing.

But more importantly, do you think our inability to score points was because our skill players are all horrible or the fact that our QB turned the ball over 52 times in the last 2 seaons, was inaccurate, and routinely couldnt get the ball downfield to open players?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. There are no exceptional skill position players that are worth the 9th pick.

The depth at WR and RB is really in round 3 which I am all for addressing.

But more importantly, do you think our inability to score points was because our skill players are all horrible or the fact that our QB turned the ball over 52 times in the last 2 seaons, was inaccurate, and routinely couldnt get the ball downfield to open players?
    wrs were bad, rbs were bad, tes were bad and qb was bad.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    We could probably get a lot out of the 49ers for Revis (assuming they really want him) because they are the one team that doesn't need the picks. They are already stacked with young guys.
    This is SO TRUE!
    12 picks?
    Where does this team need 12 picks?

Revis would put that defense OVER THE TOP! SCARY!
    This is the best scenario YET! Do u know why?

Seahawks know if 49ers end up with Revis, AFC West division is out of the question.
    What do the hawks have that the Jets could use?
    Matt Flynn!
    we could have a 49er VS Hawks for Revis services.