Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Revis to San Fran?

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    This situation has been mentioned VERY often on the board here and I want to seriously ask everyone to look at it more objectively.

Outside of last year with the RGIII situation, when was the last time that a team had a "franchise" QB sitting available for them in the draft and traded out of the pick? I dont know if its ever happened outside of that freak situation.

Im not saying a first round pick in 2014 is a bad thing, but if you think we are going to trade up for teddy bridgewater, Im just saying there is virtuatlly zero precedence for that.

St Louis was a rebuilding team that had a lot of holes and THEN lost their young franchise QB. Thats how they wound up where they were. Who is in that boat now as a team.

Detroit? Sure, but they still have a good Dline, will have millner and of course Calvin.

Bears? Miami?

Im just saying that it is EXTREMELY rare for:

1. A franchise QB to be available for more then 1 team in a draft
    2. A team to also have a QB they want more then the potential pick

We cant put our eggs in that basket, especially when this draft is pretty strong as far as 2nd round players at the positions we need.

The bottom line is this team (or any team for that matter) won't go anywhere without stablility at the QB position. We don't have that in our current situation.

You look at it as putting all our eggs in one basket....i look at it as taking care of the most important position on the field.

If it means we have to trade up to select a QB, then the Jets brass will do it...just like any other team. Just because it's not common doesn't mean it's not impossible.

All Pro
    The depth at WR and RB is really in round 3 which I am all for addressing.
    This is a true statement. Coupled with where we pick @ 9 & 39; I wouldn't expect much to happen offensive before the 3rd round

All Pro
    This situation has been mentioned VERY often on the board here and I want to seriously ask everyone to look at it more objectively.

Outside of last year with the RGIII situation, when was the last time that a team had a "franchise" QB sitting available for them in the draft and traded out of the pick? I dont know if its ever happened outside of that freak situation.

Im not saying a first round pick in 2014 is a bad thing, but if you think we are going to trade up for teddy bridgewater, Im just saying there is virtuatlly zero precedence for that.

St Louis was a rebuilding team that had a lot of holes and THEN lost their young franchise QB. Thats how they wound up where they were. Who is in that boat now as a team.

Detroit? Sure, but they still have a good Dline, will have millner and of course Calvin.

Bears? Miami?

Im just saying that it is EXTREMELY rare for:

1. A franchise QB to be available for more then 1 team in a draft
    2. A team to also have a QB they want more then the potential pick

We cant put our eggs in that basket, especially when this draft is pretty strong as far as 2nd round players at the positions we need.
    Teams traded up for:
    Ryan Leaf. Yes a bust, but was considered a good pick and #2 overall
    Mike Vick
    Eli Manning
    Jeff George Yes a bust but the #1 pick
    John Elway (He wouldn't play for the Colts)
    RG III

It happens, it just costs a lot to move up.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    wrs were bad, rbs were bad, tes were bad and qb was bad.
    Look, I agree with you that all those spots were bad, but its not simply because of the skill level.

RB - we can draft one in the 4th round and powell playing over greene will improve that position drastically

WR - If holmes is back, him, kerley and hill should be a decent group, and again, i think addressing the position in the 3rd round is a good idea.

TE - cumberland was and is a bad player (he cant block and isnt a great WR), that position will need to be addressed, and you could even talk me into eifert in the 2nd if he is there, but I dont think its necessary

Good QBs make average players good and good players great. Our QB made average players atrocious.

Jets Insider VIP
    While you are correct if you look at it as player vs player, the fact is trades are as much about leverage as they are about the players or picks involved.

We are so royally screwed with the situation we are in with Revis, that you cant compare it to smiths deal at all.

If SF was willing to trade 31 adn 34 for Revis (which I dont even think they will) I would jump at that in a second.

9 - Ansah DE
    31 - Best available CB
    34 - Best guard left
    39 - Jonathon Cyprien S

Fills many holes and lets use our 3rd for a RB and 4th for another LB and hopefully send our 5th to seattle for flynn.
    How the hell does this fix the offense...like...at all?

We trade Revis and use two of our four Top 40 picks on DB's?

I can get on board with trading a 4th or 5th for Flynn, but that's about it.

If we have 4 picks in the top 40, I'd hope we go for a balanced approach.

1. DE/OLB
    2. OL.
    3. WR/RB/TE
    4. Secondary

Look, I agree with you that all those spots were bad, but its not simply because of the skill level.

RB - we can draft one in the 4th round and powell playing over greene will improve that position drastically

WR - If holmes is back, him, kerley and hill should be a decent group, and again, i think addressing the position in the 3rd round is a good idea.

TE - cumberland was and is a bad player (he cant block and isnt a great WR), that position will need to be addressed, and you could even talk me into eifert in the 2nd if he is there, but I dont think its necessary

Good QBs make average players good and good players great. Our QB made average players atrocious.
    we all know sanchez must be replaced. but the offense needs much more than just a new qb. holmes and braylon will not be on the team after this season. so they're gone. there's no guarantee that stephen hill will ever learn to catch. kerley is the only reliable wr they have who will be on the team in 2014. so they could definitely use another wr. and even if greene leaves, they still need a rb. and not an average one. they could use a good one. if you draft rbs in the fourth round every year, it's a bit more difficult to find a good one than if you invest a higher pick in one.

if the jets are ever going to challenge for the division and conference again, they're going to have to figure out how to accumulate players who can score so they can go toe to toe with baltimore, NE, denver, etc. this reality means they're going to have to invest high picks on offensive players. maybe not at 9 this year. but i would say if they didn't, then most certainly in the 2nd round, and perhaps the 3rd as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Teams traded up for:
    Ryan Leaf. Yes a bust, but was considered a good pick and #2 overall
    Mike Vick
    Eli Manning
    Jeff George Yes a bust but the #1 pick
    John Elway (He wouldn't play for the Colts)
    RG III

It happens, it just costs a lot to move up.
    Eli doesnt count as they drafted a QB of their own and he basically refused to play for the chargers same with elway.

Anyway, if you remove just eli (for the rivers factor), then you mentioned 5 times in the last 25 years.

Not a great %

Jets Insider VIP
    Chance Warmack
    Damontre Moore/Jarvis Jones
    Giovani Bernard
    Quinton Patton

Now THAT'S a haul in the Top 40

Eli doesnt count as they drafted a QB of their own and he basically refused to play for the chargers same with elway.

Anyway, if you remove just eli (for the rivers factor), then you mentioned 5 times in the last 25 years.

Not a great %
    who cares what the percentage is?

the point is, it still happens and is a viable option in the right situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    How the hell does this fix the offense...like...at all?

We trade Revis and use two of our four Top 40 picks on DB's?

I can get on board with trading a 4th or 5th for Flynn, but that's about it.
    You cant go into a draft saying, "lets draft offensive players" if they simply arent there.

We take a CB to develop behind Cro and take revis' vacated spot.
    We need a deep safety and this is the best safety class in years
    We need a guard and this is the best guard class in years
    We need an OLB/DE and there are good ones available

Also, you dont need to draft RBs in the first or second round, so we definitely dont need to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Chance Warmack
    Damontre Moore/Jarvis Jones
    Giovani Bernard
    Quinton Patton

Now THAT'S a haul in the Top 40
    1. Mingo/Ansah/Jordan
    2. Cooper/Warford
    3. Bernard
    4. Patton

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Yes, let's trade him within the division. Why aren't you GM yet?
    Hahahahahah LOL!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    so you would recommend that for a team that can't score points, they should avoid drafting any offensive skill players in the first two rounds?
    Yes this way we can again blame our inability to score on the players instead of the Jets FO!!!

All Pro

Not a great %
    Yes, and there have been 13 (I believe) QB's taken. So about 30-40% of thre time a QB is taken, it is a trade up. So it does happen.

I just have to ask the question, last year with an JAG under center such as a Moore, can you not see us winning at least 2 to 3 more games ?
    I honestly think, if we shore up some of the other holes and can get one or two solid starters out of this years draft we could have the potential to be a very competitive team. Super Bowl bound, no but winning some of those games we threw away last year by poor play for the QB spot.
    So we are going to lose Revis anyway next season, deal him this year make and get as much as possible for his services and start to rebuild the core for the next run at a title.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    This is SO TRUE!
    12 picks?
    Where does this team need 12 picks?

Revis would put that defense OVER THE TOP! SCARY!
    This is the best scenario YET! Do u know why?

Seahawks know if 49ers end up with Revis, AFC West division is out of the question.
    What do the hawks have that the Jets could use?
    Matt Flynn!
    we could have a 49er VS Hawks for Revis services.
    Seahawks have a very good pair of CB's now (that don't cost a fortune) - why on earth would they want to trade for Revis??

he will be joining peyton and bring them a ring
    revis on their team last year and they beat the ravens no question

revis will be like d sanders following the money and getting the rings-cowboys and niners both won after primetime showed up and revis can have that same impact to a team just on the edge of a ring

This will be a fun bidding war between San Francisco, Seattle and perhaps another team. Why Seattle? They can't let Revis get to San Francisco and pairing him with Sherman would be crazy. A deal with San Francisco would bring back multiple picks while a deal with Seattle would bring back Browner and a pick, maybe two. Should be interesting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    This will be a fun bidding war between San Francisco, Seattle and perhaps another team. Why Seattle? They can't let Revis get to San Francisco and pairing him with Sherman would be crazy. A deal with San Francisco would bring back multiple picks while a deal with Seattle would bring back Browner and a pick, maybe two. Should be interesting.
    And Revis can veto trades to both those teams if they do not pay him the money he is looking for.

It's not about the picks the Jets would get for Revis, but about the other teams ability to sign him to a longterm contract.