Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Revis to San Fran?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    If Woody does not put it out that he is willing to live without Revis, how do you think the talks about extending him will go if revis thinks the jets can not live without him?

Believe me, he knew what he was saying.
    Good point. I've said it before, Revis is going to receive a major dose of the "real worldsies" when this is all done.

Imagine how he's going to feel if he doesn't get traded (nobody wanted to give up enough to get him), and there's no extension by the Jets?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis byrd 90 View Post
    There have been rumors of Revis to San Fran and with the trade of Alex Smith (though not official) to KC for KC's 2n 33rd overall Revis to San Fran makes so much sense to me now.

I'd go for their 1st and 3rd and call it a day or maybe both of their 2nds. We'd clear his 6 million this year, and 10-15 the following years and if we draft right we'd get two starters for him. Maybe a qb and another long term starter. I'd do this deal in a second. What does everyone else think?
    I wonder if anyone here watches any football outside of what we're doing. Alex Smith led the league in completion percentage was 3rd per pass completed before he got hurt ... played in the NFCC the year prior. Say what you want about defense this and that but the same can be said about Flacco prior to his playoff run. Revis is coming off a significant injury and he's a corner. The worst position on EARTH to be coming off an ACL injury and trying to get back to what you once was is CB. Revis isn't worth 2 2nd rounders so thats wishful thinking. He's MAYBE worth a 2nd. I wouldn't be shocked one bit if all teams are willing to give us is a 3rd max. Maybe someone says he's 2nd value but no one will bite on their 1st rounder for Revis. Not going to happen. Reason being ... if Revis ends up not being Revis again that 1 trade above all else could cost someone their job. No GM would risk that unless his job was completely safe and the only GM's who's job are completely safe don't need to trade a 1st rounder for Revis and take on the price tag he'll require.

Teams I think who might give up a 2nd rounder for Revis ... Atlanta (they're known to trade high value picks for a sure thing and their training staff is considered the best in football by insiders), Dallas (its Jerry's world), San Fran, & Green Bay.

Green Bay has way too many issues at O Line and depth to pull the trigger but I can see them being a dark-horse here. Every other team outside of these 4 either have way too many needs outside of CB to go hard at Revis with a pick and take on the price tag he carries or they don't need to pull the trigger on this move. Denver has a lot of spots to fill to help out their depth. RIP Mr Al Davis would have traded a 1st for Revis cause he went after what he wanted no matter the cost. There aren't too many suitors. This means a 2nd rounder isn't guranteed. When you don't have more than 6 or 7 teams interested the market is what it is. I wouldn't be shocked if all we get is a 3rd and 6th for Revis cause there literally might just just be 1 or 2 teams seriously interested. I see those 2 being ATL & San Fran. I doubt either goes higher than a 3rd.
    Last edited by LadainianIMnotDONE; 02-28-2013 at 09:00 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    If Woody does not put it out that he is willing to live without Revis, how do you think the talks about extending him will go if revis thinks the jets can not live without him?

Believe me, he knew what he was saying.
    "live without him?" we are way past that.. Its known woody wants to trade revis asap with no intention of signing him.. Thats a big difference.. a team with a much weaker secondary will out bid jets next offseason.. we have Cro, hes still better than 90 percent of the rest of nfl cbs. dont think for a second revis will pass up $ to stay with Jets.. We dont want to let him play the year and then let him walk for a 3rd rounder.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Yes, but the Jets FO has to give their permission.

Otherwise, it would be considered tampering.
    It's a bit more that that though. The contract can't be (officially) renegotiated until the player signs with the other team. That means the other team has to have the cap room to absorb the original salary. Then, once the player signs, they can tear up the contract and make a new one.

This happened when Moss was traded to the Pats. They had to make room for his original salary before drawing up the new contract.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    "live without him?" we are way past that.. Its known woody wants to trade revis asap with no intention of signing him.. Thats a big difference.. a team with a much weaker secondary will out bid jets next offseason.. we have Cro, hes still better than 90 percent of the rest of nfl cbs. dont think for a second revis will pass up $ to stay with Jets.. We dont want to let him play the year and then let him walk for a 3rd rounder.
    Cro is only signed for 2014 and then he is gone or at least a FA to be dealt with. And like you said he is a top ten CB and he will get paid around 10-11 Brandon Carr/Joseph money. It is not unimaginable that the jets sign revis for 6 and 13 making him the highest paid cb by 20% over Carr. And then trade cro who with 2 years left on his deal and not coming off a ACL will be a lot easier to move. The jets keep their marquee player, save 8 mill of 2013 cap space instead of trading revis and losing 3mill in space e cap space. If the jets want to keep Cro long term they will have to pay him 20% less than what i think Revis would sign for if they gave him the deal before TC started. Is Revis worth the 20% premium over Cro?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    It's a bit more that that though. The contract can't be (officially) renegotiated until the player signs with the other team. That means the other team has to have the cap room to absorb the original salary. Then, once the player signs, they can tear up the contract and make a new one.

This happened when Moss was traded to the Pats. They had to make room for his original salary before drawing up the new contract.
    I agree with you, but the major points of the contract (number of years, total doallar value, guaranteed money) can be worked out verbally by both parties prior to signing the contract.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Poole: Should the San Francisco 49ers pursue Darelle Revis?

By Monte Poole

Bay Area News Group columnist

Posted: 02/28/2013 01:44:33 PM PST
    Updated: 02/28/2013 02:47:03 PM PST

Long is the list of reasons why the 49ers would be crazy to trade for cornerback Darelle Revis, beginning with his lame-duck contract status and the fact he's coming off knee surgery.

As the late Raiders owner Al Davis learned with his puzzling signing of free agent wide receiver Javon Walker in 2008, bringing in a player coming off a knee injury not only is risky but can be downright foolish.

And yet if the 49ers are internally discussing Revis, as reported by trusted longtime acquaintance Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports, they should continue contemplating.

With their pockets stuffed with as many as 15 picks in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Niners can afford to get crazy.

With a roster so deep they reached the Super Bowl while essentially "redshirting" their 2012 draft class, the 49ers are in position to be . . . a little foolish.

If there is a time to take a risk, it is now. If there is a guy worth the risk, it is Revis.

Prior to injuring his left knee early last season, Revis was unquestionably the best cover corner in the NFL. There is a reason they consider his portion of the field "Revis Island." He strands receivers, separating them from the rest of their friends on offense -- most notably the quarterback.

He's the one NFL player who can make a grown man vanish for three hours in front of 70,000 witnesses.

The 49ers have a great defense. It is the strength of the team. The weakest part of that defense is,

yes, the secondary. It was exploited by Baltimore wide receiver Anquan Boldin in the Super Bowl. Two weeks before that in the NFC Championship Game, it was pantsed by Atlanta wideouts Julio Jones and Roddy White. While San Francisco has one good cornerback, Carlos Rogers, surrounded by a couple young corners with potential, Tarell Brown and Chris Culliver, they don't have a cover guy around whom teams must game plan for.

They had such a guy on their last Super Bowl championship team. His name was Deion Sanders. He was the best cover corner of his era.

Revis doesn't have Deion's full athletic arsenal; he brings no electrifying kick returns. But Revis' ability to cover, prior to the injury, was equal to that of Sanders.

So, yes, evaluate him. And if his knee passes inspection and the Jets are willing to listen, the 49ers should get to work on a deal -- even if there are no assurances Revis would extend his contract beyond the one year remaining.

If they can't make a bold move while holding more draft picks than they could possibly use, when can they?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whatever happens Revis is either going to get traded or sign a contract extension with the Jets before the November trade deadline.

The Jets are going to do everything they can to make sure that Revis does not sign within the division. He could still be traded for a one year rental to the NFC and end up back in the AFC East next year so the Jets FO are going to do there best to have Revis sign a contract either with the Jets or outside of the AFC East before November.